free hit
counters
Reverse lockout slider broken - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Russ91SE

Reverse lockout slider broken

On my 91 SE, in the last 8 months or so, I had been having a hard time getting into reverse.  I guarantee not driving it enough caused this problem.  The collar wouldn't pull up on the gear shifter.  It would stick, but eventually pull up, so I ignored the problem.  One day, after being especially stubborn, it finally pulled up but felt a little different, and that's when I found that I could engage reverse without pulling up on the collar.  When I opened it up and looked down in the shift mechanism, I found the plastic sliding collar with the reverse lockout block had broken, and the bottom half had disappeared into the nether regions of the tunnel.  The roll pin was still in place, the top half with the reverse block was intact and I was able to manually pull it up and push it down enough to drive home (although, without a gaiter, I was getting a lot of fumes and heat in the cabin).  After sitting for the last couple of months, I found the plastic collar had become stuck/fused to years of gunk that had collected on the shifter shaft and wouldn't slide any more at all.  I got the shifter out, cleaned the shaft, and now I need to replace the sliding collar.

I searched the forum, but didn't find any info on replacing this part.  I know Lotus only sold the shifter as a whole unit.  I saw some pics Travis posted a while ago, and my shifter is not that style.  Is the later SE the same as the S4?  I can probably post pics tomorrow.  I saw SJ has their own part that looks similar ( SJ082F0011 ), but I'm not 100% sure, because I only have 2/3 of mine left.  Is this something that could be built on a 3D printer?  Or would it have to be moulded?  Any info or ideas appreciated.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Already in late 1990, so for 1991 models, the SE had the revised gearstick and therefore the plastic arm that you have.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Thanks Jacques, that helps.  The SJS part does then match mine.  Here are pictures anyway.  I highly recommend if anyone feels the reverse collar getting sticky, or not sliding freely,  to open it up and clean the shaft to keep it sliding smoothly before you break it.  It's easy to do.  I wish I had though of it sooner.

Anyone found these anywhere besides SJS?

shaft1.jpg.d26b7da0cc67c7c344806e32944d80e6.jpg59f800fabe01b_brokencollar.jpg.0dcd1262ed8bdbdfcba07b22a9137264.jpg

Nope. But I found the last version of the V8 gearmaster, which is the same up and way different Down, and engages gears much better, slicker, more predictable, nicer, sportier ;)

And it needs a lot of other stuff to be installed... :cry:

At the moment, I don't think a 3d printed version can hold up, but materials are improving all the time. I suppose SJ x 2 (one as a spare) is the thing to do these days.

Kind regards,

jacques

ps: Russ, since your Esprit is a 1991 model, could you please tell me which kind of ignition key you have on yours? A blank metal old school key with no plastic handle on my 1990 SE.

acques, both my '89 SE and '90 SE have (had...) a simple ignition key but with a plastic handle with a large opening for a keyring. Metal only would indicate it was copied I think. By someone not bothering to start from the correct blank (which my local keyshop was still able to provide!).

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Thanks Filip. I have one the same, and a all metal key. The two door lock keys are both all metal. Just asking because I am making some leather mini covers for all metal keys, as I showed on my "Little Riding Hood" thread. Thanks. Anyway, Silca make an excellent metal.

Kind regards,

jacques