free hit
counters
Fuel pump keeps ticking - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Fuel pump keeps ticking

peteyg

Just replaced the pipe between tanks. Previous to this there was no issue with the pump now it ticks constantly. Fast ticks initially until pressurized then slow constant tick, tick, tick  like a clock with or without engine running. No fuel leaks anywhere above or below the engine. Why is it doing this?

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

• 2 weeks later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Pete it could but a bit of crap in the pump valves. I would pop the pump off and clean the valves out and give it a good service while it's on the bench. 

Matt

Let me know If you have a S1 esprit for sale 🙂

Hi Pete if your careful you should not need a kit . normally you just remove the valve covers and give then a good clean out. 

Give me  ring if you get stuck

Matt

Let me know If you have a S1 esprit for sale 🙂

Peter,

Please read this article. It may explain why your fuel pump keeps ticking : http://userwebs.donobi.net/sufuelpumps/Fuel_Pumps/Air_Leak_Troubleshooting.pdf

This article may be helpfull if you decide to open up the SU fuelpump : https://majcd213.blogspot.be/2016/11/servicing-su-azx1307-points-fuel-pump.html

Geert

Edited by gvy

Thanks Geert. Good info!

I had a quick look at the pump once it was on the bench and it seems the plastic diaphragm was split but I will investigate further. Hopefully the rubber one is intact as replacements seem to be unavailable at the moment.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Peter,

This year , the S2.2 let me down just close to SPA francorchamps. It was the fuelpump. In the end I decided to by a new SU pump with electronics instead of the points  :  SJ sportscars art.  SJ075L0001 : £78 + VaT

Geert

Edited by gvy