free hit
counters
Start The Rebuild! - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Start The Rebuild!

Hey all!

I received my pistons yesterday! YIPPEE!!!! Now, I'm waiitng for my gaskets and liner puller. Once I receive these last parts, I will start the rebuild process. Can't wait to get her back together.

LET THE REBUILD BEGIN!!!!!

actwon

------

'14 Nike Shox

'12 Range Rover Sport

'01 Esprit V8

'95 Ducati 916

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all!

I received my pistons yesterday! YIPPEE!!!! Now, I'm waiitng for my gaskets and liner puller. Once I receive these last parts, I will start the rebuild process. Can't wait to get her back together.

Nathan,

Are you putting the engine together yourself? If so I'd love to follow the build, pix!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Hey all!

My Guess you have JE forged Piston's..fitted mine Dec...waiting for special Custom Crank Bearings from JAE parts been waiting ages now...I have all the special tools.

You doing all the work..? if you remove the Inlets you will need the alinement plate as well, I made one. also had the Cam Pin set made x 8... my pal made me our version of the Liner Puller...A Slide hammer attached top and bottom of the Liner. depending on how much glue was used will depend how hard they are stuck in...mine were tight.

Be happy to chat..on Skype......ps so far my project taken 337 photo's...to big for the forum for detail.

datacc12@ntlworld.com cheers Rob

damfast35nut@talktalk.net or 07976 609881

Nathan,

Are you putting the engine together yourself? If so I'd love to follow the build, pix!

Artie

Artie,

Yes, I am doing the rebuild myself. I will take photos of the rebuild process for you guys and post it on a site.

My Guess you have JE forged Piston's..fitted mine Dec...waiting for special Custom Crank Bearings from JAE parts been waiting ages now...I have all the special tools.

You doing all the work..? if you remove the Inlets you will need the alinement plate as well, I made one. also had the Cam Pin set made x 8... my pal made me our version of the Liner Puller...A Slide hammer attached top and bottom of the Liner. depending on how much glue was used will depend how hard they are stuck in...mine were tight.

Be happy to chat..on Skype......ps so far my project taken 337 photo's...to big for the forum for detail.

datacc12@ntlworld.com cheers Rob

Hey Rob,

Sorry, been away for a minute. Been very busy with work. I don't have JE, I went to a company named Arias. Great work. I've never used an inlet alignment tool for my car. However, the pin set I am definitely interested in how you guys made these. Also, how did you make the liner puller? You have a picture of it or some instructions as to how I can duplicate it?

Hey, when you put your new pistons in, did you hone the liners? I'm getting mixed answers on this question. 50% (of the people I ask) are telling me I do not have to, the other 50% are telling me to do it.

atgnat,

I have a guitar tuning software on my laptop; I was going to use that. However, I could use a Clavis Guage. Hit me up offline. actwon_two@yahoo.com

Edited by actwon

actwon

------

'14 Nike Shox

'12 Range Rover Sport

'01 Esprit V8

'95 Ducati 916

Why are you rebuilding? Leaky liners?

RH Cam Belt broke. I thought my cylinder head was damaged, but the re was no damage to the head. So, I decided to pull the botom apart and found major piston damage. It's been an interesting rebuild.

actwon

------

'14 Nike Shox

'12 Range Rover Sport

'01 Esprit V8

'95 Ducati 916

RH Cam Belt broke. I thought my cylinder head was damaged, but the re was no damage to the head. So, I decided to pull the botom apart and found major piston damage. It's been an interesting rebuild.

Its interesting that your valves were OK but the pistons damaged??? What type of damage did you see on the pistons??? What RPM's were you turning when the belt broke??

I had the right belt come off at start up while the dealer was replacing them. Damaged all 8 exhaust valves and 3 of the intakes! No piston damaged could be noted so I am very interested in your situation, Thanks..........

Its interesting that your valves were OK but the pistons damaged??? What type of damage did you see on the pistons??? What RPM's were you turning when the belt broke??

I had the right belt come off at start up while the dealer was replacing them. Damaged all 8 exhaust valves and 3 of the intakes! No piston damaged could be noted so I am very interested in your situation, Thanks..........

Paul,

Well, my belt broke while the motor was trying to turn over. The motor did not start. I'm guessing hydraulic pressure in the cylinder head didn't build up yet. I'm using that theory for the valves not being damaged. The pistons however, 4 out of 8 were broken between the #1 and #2 compression rings. The only thing that was holding them in place was the liner. If I would have driven about another 5 - 10,000 miles, the motor would have been destroyed. Fortunately, not a lot of money has been spent yet. Excluding time, I've spent just under $5000US for all parts and a few extras like arp head studs and a new stereo head unit (Alpine IVA-D310).

actwon

------

'14 Nike Shox

'12 Range Rover Sport

'01 Esprit V8

'95 Ducati 916

Paul,

Well, my belt broke while the motor was trying to turn over. The motor did not start. I'm guessing hydraulic pressure in the cylinder head didn't build up yet. I'm using that theory for the valves not being damaged. The pistons however, 4 out of 8 were broken between the #1 and #2 compression rings. The only thing that was holding them in place was the liner. If I would have driven about another 5 - 10,000 miles, the motor would have been destroyed. Fortunately, not a lot of money has been spent yet. Excluding time, I've spent just under $5000US for all parts and a few extras like arp head studs and a new stereo head unit (Alpine IVA-D310).

So you tink the pistons were damaged before the belt broke??? I just cannot understand the damage to your pistons was a result fo the belt breaking??? How many miles do you have on your V8?? As my motor is in pieces at the moment I want to make certain to put it back to last! The Pistons on my motor have not been removed but I had only 4500 miles when they damaged the valves............

Paul how many miles do you have on your engine?

Guy

• 3 weeks later...
So you tink the pistons were damaged before the belt broke??? I just cannot understand the damage to your pistons was a result fo the belt breaking??? How many miles do you have on your V8?? As my motor is in pieces at the moment I want to make certain to put it back to last! The Pistons on my motor have not been removed but I had only 4500 miles when they damaged the valves............

Paul,

No, the piston damage was not a result of the broken belt. This was present before the belt broke. It just took the belt breaking for me to take the initiative to investigate the rest of my motor. I have about 34,000 miles on my car. When the belt broke, the car did not turn over at all. It cranked maybe once or twice. I realized that it wasn't going to start so I stopped trying to start it. That's what saved my valves.

Edited by actwon

actwon

------

'14 Nike Shox

'12 Range Rover Sport

'01 Esprit V8

'95 Ducati 916