free hit
counters
Wide body Excel Auto - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Wide body Excel Auto

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Ask @Hawaiis0 on excel.net

I seem to recall he quoted the figures once, but a search hasn't revealed the thread - either that or I am imagining things.

From memory, I thought it was more than 25... I had a feeling it was int he 70's, but I think he researched it so should be able to give you the correct figure. He owns a nice BRG SA.

13 hours ago, Hawaiis0 said:

About 120 from memory.  The Chassis number range is in the front of the workshop manual. Starts about 2220 upto 2340 ish.  Book's packed away at the moment for the NEC.

Just to return further info, my SA was 3rd built of a run of the first 50, so the earlier 25 is definitely misleading.  I wont say incorrect as there is the probability that the 25 refers to a particular year build quantity in it's original reference. Two MY batches of 50 and one of 25 would be about right on the number score.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Nigel Cook said:

IMG_20171022_153039.thumb.jpg.a077c9aa2539b23c977029a3d580e442.jpgI also own a 1987 Excel SA and love it.I have also tryed to find out production figures and how many are still in existence but with no joy sadly.It would be good to get the info.

Is that the original reg?  DVLA has the date of registration Dec 1987 which should make it an E Reg.  What is your last 4 VIN numbers - if you dont mind? I would like to see if it falls in the range 2219 - 2332.

Stu

Hi Stu,thanks for getting back to me.The last 4 digits on the vin is 2315.I'm new to the Lotus scene so any info is very welcome.My car has had several private number plates as far as I know.Date of first registration was 9/4/87

Regards Nigel

Edited by Nigel Cook

Most Lotus wedge owners dabble over on LOTUSEXCEL.NET and you can get most questions answered there.  From the service notes, I believe the SA covers the range mentioned above so yours appears to be close to the end run. Mine - 2223, is the 3rd production car.   As Christmas is looming, provenance details from the Lotus archivist is a greedy list item :)

Edited by Hawaiis0

• Gold FFM
On 26/11/2017 at 07:27, Nigel Cook said:

IMG_20171022_153039.thumb.jpg.a077c9aa2539b23c977029a3d580e442.jpgI also own a 1987 Excel SA and love it.I have also tryed to find out production figures and how many are still in existence but with no joy sadly.It would be good to get the info.

Duplicate of the one I am currently working. Same colours, same interior. Nice.

20 hours ago, Hawaiis0 said:

It beat a NA Esprit round Oliver's Mount :) You drive it how you want to and you still have manual select :)

I must say I was very surprised how well it goes,once the engine is up in the revs she takes off,the ZF auto box changes perfectly and power delivery is spot on,I also have a LSD fitted to assist with traction.

20 hours ago, Hawaiis0 said:

It beat a NA Esprit round Oliver's Mount :) You drive it how you want to and you still have manual select :)

On 27/11/2017 at 08:39, johnpwalsh said:

Duplicate of the one I am currently working. Same colours, same interior. Nice.

Thanks,look forward to seeing some pictures of your Excel.

• Gold FFM

Our Excel is a long way short on the photographs. She is a light restoration project, being brought up to MOT standard, serviced and given a good mechanical overhaul, then being sold on. So far all they are almost complete, all new tyres, brakes etc, carbs overhauled, new windscreen going in due to a crack and the interior given a spruce up. I have some photographs of how she was found which I will dig out and post once I have them.

21 hours ago, johnpwalsh said:

Our Excel is a long way short on the photographs. She is a light restoration project, being brought up to MOT standard, serviced and given a good mechanical overhaul, then being sold on. So far all they are almost complete, all new tyres, brakes etc, carbs overhauled, new windscreen going in due to a crack and the interior given a spruce up. I have some photographs of how she was found which I will dig out and post once I have them.

Sounds interesting,look forward to seeing some pictures of your project.Mine is having the door shuts painted as they let the car down.I then have the pleasure of refitting the doors ect.I have had the beams sand blasted and painted and I have pressed in new phosphor bronze bushes to go with the new door pins and grease nipples,stripped and serviced the window regulators and had the window frames sand blasted,just need them powder coated then the fun begins refitting it all.The picture below is pre refurbishment as you can see.

IMG_20171118_110250.jpg

Edited by Nigel Cook
  • Like 1

• Gold FFM

Good work Nigel. Take your time when rehanging the doors, they can be a pain, but good if you can get all the lines correct.

Thanks,looking forward to getting my old girl back so I can get her back together and back on the road again.I will post some pictures up of the progress once I have everything ready for assembly.Looking forward to seeing new nuts and bolts and nice closing doors and nice line's.Im going to take my time and get it right.

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Nigel Cook said:

IMG_20171213_131254.jpg

IMG_20171213_135113.jpg

IMG_20171223_155440.jpg

Job done.Nice clean door shuts,new nuts and bolts ect,electric window wiring mod,sound deadening,powder coated window frames with new felts and seals.The end result is nice closing doors,not forgetting new door pins and a grease nipples added.I'm glad I've done the job now and my baby is back on the road.