Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Not for the faint of heart! - Now "Exige Cup 430" - Page 22 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Not for the faint of heart! - Now "Exige Cup 430"

4exige

16 hours ago, Schnitzel said:

Hi Alex,

You weren’t doing a stealth running in session North of Eastbourne today were you? Saw the car, could quite make out the number plate as it flashed past, but it was black, large rear wing and what looked like your plate.

Might have been! :sofa:

Agreed on the subwoofer chaps, it was originally going to be a different sub fitted somewhere else when I ordered however that setup wouldn't fit.

This is the only place they could fit it apparently, will definitely look at getting it covered up!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
7 hours ago, Alex1710 said:

Might have been! :sofa:

Agreed on the subwoofer chaps, it was originally going to be a different sub fitted somewhere else when I ordered however that setup wouldn't fit.

This is the only place they could fit it apparently, will definitely look at getting it covered up!

I thought so! Good man for running it in in the crap weather!

(I asked this in another thread but thought someone here might know ... sorry for the noise :ph34r:)

Does anyone have any idea what the Cup 430 front/rear weight distribution % is?

Just curious ... 

Can't be very different from any other V6 Exige which I have seen quoted as 38/62. Autocar has it at 35/65.

3 hours ago, The Pits said:

Can't be very different from any other V6 Exige which I have seen quoted as 38/62. Autocar has it at 35/65.

My 360 as it came from the factory, with A/C and Fire Ext was 1134 kgs Front is 401.5 kgs (35.5%) Rear is 731.5 kgs (64.5%)

Its currently at 1094 kgs,  Front at 392.5 kgs (35.9%)  Rear at 701.5 kgs (64.1%)  

The change in balance came from replacing the battery with a lithium one (17.5kg saving) and the boot carpets /trims  (1.5 kgs)

• Thanks 1

Thanks. Good to have some actual numbers. Looks like me Autocar got it right then.

The other figure might be for the 4cyl Exige and attributed to the V6 by a lazy journalist.

5 hours ago, Seriouslylotus said:

My 360 as it came from the factory, with A/C and Fire Ext was 1134 kgs Front is 401.5 kgs (35.5%) Rear is 731.5 kgs (64.5%)

Its currently at 1094 kgs,  Front at 392.5 kgs (35.9%)  Rear at 701.5 kgs (64.1%)  

The change in balance came from replacing the battery with a lithium one (17.5kg saving) and the boot carpets /trims  (1.5 kgs)

interesting ... thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/03/2018 at 14:27, Seriouslylotus said:

I assume you must have removed some other parts at the rear of the 360 to loose 30kgs?  Or carpets etc weigh circa 12.5kgs!

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430

No exhaust valve button and in the video it sounds like touring mode on my car. Does that mean the valves open in sport mode like they do when i put my car in sport mode? or are the valves closed on all settings on the 430 include Race mode and just open up over a certain RPM?

• Like 1

Not as fast as you were expecting @JayEmm? Fairly damning given that is the entire point of the 430. It begs the question then, what were you expecting?

Superchargers are progressive though, you don't get a mid-range spike, so even a 430 will need to be revved. Didn't sound like you got the chance to rev it right out, due to sub-optimal conditions no doubt. But could short shifting itself be a sign that you had surplus power to requirements?

Sometimes it's easier to guage a performance difference when you go back down, so how did the Evora 400 feel in comparison shortly afterwards? My Exige felt flat above 6krpm straight after the Evora Sport 410 while the Exige felt a touch more torquey below that.

The Cup 430 should be dramatic though. A GT430 with 200kg less to haul around would be quite something.

• Gold FFM

It's just that really Jonny, you don't get that mid range thump that a turbocharged engine of similar power might deliver. The speed is deceptive.

I still much prefer the choice of supercharger and it suits the car well. As we all know I cannot really stretch the car's legs on camera without it doing quite obscene speeds, hence it is in touring mode for most of the video.

I've also driven the GT430 and one thing I mention in that video, and I have mentioned on this site is the fact that these cars were pretty box fresh with very few miles on. My own 400 really loosened up after about 10K or so and I have no doubt this will do the same.

The 430 has acquired the 400's trait of wanting to race to the redline in the last 1000rpm. That's nice.

The 400 is a totally different animal. In truth the same morning I drove an exige 350 with the full sound deadening pack and that also felt very different to the 430 Cup, which was an assault on the senses in many ways.

@mark248am - the valves open at 4500rpm regardless of mode. You cannot override it.

• Thanks 1

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

Hmmmm, so with the regular exige you can fit the valve switch, would  it be possible to fit it here as well?

Switch LA127M6008F

Phillips screwdriver

Remove lower steering column cowl, remove grommet from LHS of cowl.

Insert switch through the pre-drilled hole and connect the green plug socket arrangement.

EP (Engine Protection) Valve Override Switch (If fitted)

The EP valve may be returned to the closed position whilst the vehicle is in ‘Race’ or Lotus DPM 'Off' mode by a momentary press of the override switch located on the left hand side of the steering column console. This may be required if driving the vehicle on a noise restricted track.

Alternatively if pressed whilst in ‘Tour’ or ‘Sport’ mode, the EP valve will open regardless of the vehicle road speed.

Note: Even if overridden, the EP valve will automatically open if the engine speed exceeds 5500rpm to reduce excessive exhaust back pressure. The EP valve will return to the closed position when the ignition is switched off.

9 hours ago, JayEmm said:

You can retrofit the switch but my understanding is that your warranty will be invalid if you do so

Hey James! Thanks for your videos, they're always really informative.

Back to the switch, in your video you mention this is an "EU thing". Does that mean non-EU versions of the car will have the switch? I'm really curious to why the European version wouldn't have the switch but Asian versions for example would. Are there new EU regulations regarding exhaust sounds? With the exhaust valve closed up to 4.5K the car is toooo quiet. 

• Gold FFM

It is my understanding that since dieselgate the EU lawmakers have taken a very dim view on any sort of "cheat". They have obviously decided that something like an exhaust valve button is just trying to get around their regulation dictating noise etc.

What isn't clear is why this doesn't appear to be rolled out across the whole range yet.

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

It's been discussed and explained before. 

It's to do with the upcoming WLTP (the W being 'worldwide' so it's not an EU thing!). 

The GT410 Sport retained the button as it rolled out under the same model as the previous Sport 410. The 430's are new models so must comply with the WLTP regs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldwide_harmonized_Light_vehicles_Test_Procedure

It's not a given that you can retrofit the switch to the Exige Cup 430, there's a chance the wiring harness has been changed so you can't but I am looking into it. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

1 hour ago, Bibs said:

It's been discussed and explained before. 

It's to do with the upcoming WLTP (the W being 'worldwide' so it's not an EU thing!). 

The GT410 Sport retained the button as it rolled out under the same model as the previous Sport 410. The 430's are new models so must comply with the WLTP regs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldwide_harmonized_Light_vehicles_Test_Procedure

It's not a given that you can retrofit the switch to the Exige Cup 430, there's a chance the wiring harness has been changed so you can't but I am looking into it. 

Thanks for the link, I guess that's another plus for the 380 Cup *cough* @BAS *cough* :P

• Like 1