free hit
counters
Not for the faint of heart! - Now "Exige Cup 430" - Page 5 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Not for the faint of heart! - Now "Exige Cup 430"

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m new to this forum, but I took delivery of mine today. 

Hopefully this does it a little justice: https://gfwilliams.net/cars/430-cup-driven/ 

Posted Images

Is it just me or does have a 991 GT3’esc front end on it?

As a (from-new) 380 Sport owner, I think that there is a large enough distance (price and performance) between my car and this new 430 Cup for me to still be happy with my purchase.

What it does do however, is stop me thinking about modifying...

Edited by DannyMul

Can't remember which forum I posted on, but I said the next gen car will br 6 figures, well here we have it with the old gen car, 6 figures. Very nice indeed, but would I lash out 100K+ with options.... errmmmm NO.

Basically Lotus are pricing existing customers out of buying a new car and moving to another sphere; just my opinion.

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe Lotus are following the likes of BAC.  They pitched the Mono at £85k and sold very few.  They then changed all their marketing for the higher market and now sell cars at £140k + .  

There are plenty of rich people out there who think nothing of spending a couple of hundred of k on a track car . If they can get a Cup 430 for £100k that competes with GT3 RS at nearer £200k, what’s not to like for them. 

Either way a great car if you have the money. I’m sure I’ll have one in the future, albeit second hand ;)

Edited by DJW
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

26 minutes ago, Mark030358 said:

Basically Lotus are pricing existing customers out of buying a new car and moving to another sphere; just my opinion

A bit unfair, they are still selling cheaper Elise and Exige, it is just that this is not top of the range. Truth is that he top of he range of lotuses did not fetch as much money as it could and bottom of the range is already a bit pricey to bring new customers into Lotuses/sports car.

If you consider they have cut production capacities meaningfully and have only 2 lines of production, selling a few less cars focusing on the most expensive is the unfortunate logical economic choice.

That being said, to get it back in the few thousands and beyond, they will need to get a car back in the mx5 price area but this is much down the road depending on where geely brings this.

27 minutes ago, DJW said:

Maybe Lotus are following the likes of BAC.  They pitched the Mono at £85k and sold very few.  They then changed all their marketing for the higher market and now sell cars at £140k + .  

There are plenty of rich people out there who think nothing of spending a couple of hundred of k on a track car . If they can get a Cup 430 for £100k that competes with GT3 RS at nearer £200k, what’s not to like for them. 

Either way a great car if you have the money. I’m sure I’ll have one in the future, albeit second hand ;)

remember that for the moment you have to save gotham city :) 

• Haha 2

This thing looks awesome.  It's expensive but I think great value for money given there's nothing out there that can match it for performance at that pricing point.  Not sure if I could actually afford it though.

• Like 1

Well, now I can only cry.... I think I'm not inter  right rythm..... I bought the 360 Cup and 6 months afterwards they launch the 380 Sport.... I collect my 380 Cup in July and 4 months afterwards they launch this most desirable and long time awaited 430 Cup Charge cooled..... I think I'm done buying new for the next 24 months AT LEAST........ I'll wait for the first 2nd hand 430 Cup or the next 450.......... this is going to be a missile..... with this engine and a few additional thousands you get up with a KT 475 easy..... SNIFF

Well, I still love my 380 Cup.... and with a TVS 1900 Charge cooled (when it's available) and a lot of poneys......430 Cup will strive keeping up the pace :):):) Anyway, well done Mr Gales, with this new Exige you're getting it to where it should be.... 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Mark030358 said:

Basically Lotus are pricing existing customers out of buying a new car and moving to another sphere; just my opinion.

It's more than that though. They didn't price me out of a new car in this bracket, what they have done is price me away from this brand. I want something super exciting to replace my current one and that will be a 100+ car, but no longer what Lotus are selling. And that's after owning  quite a few of this brand. The 430 is definitely a proper difference power wise so I accept that as an upgrade but I also know how the whole package will feel before even sitting in it based on all the other bits that make up the car. I wait to see how many the dealers buy for stock with interest. Complex sales these 70+ Exiges.

Edited by cbaileyuk
12 minutes ago, cbaileyuk said:

I also know how the whole package will feel before even sitting in it based on all the other bits that make up the car

So no matter what Lotus release, you'll not be buying one due to familiarity? Makes your point about price moot as even if this was half the price, you'd not want one as you've already been there, done that by the sounds of it. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Well I have to say that’s the car a lot of us have been really waiting for. I am so glad I waited :)

However, as much as I desire it, the number of new models released recently is frankly ridiculous, anyone looking at the last couple of years worth of Exige model updates would be fearful of the 450 or better being announced before taking delivery. I don’t buy this “you can’t expect a manufacturer to stand still”. I know this will just be a red rag to a certain bull but if you buy an GTx from the Germans and you know you have 3 or 4 years before its replacement comes out.

I think it’s been mentioned before but this should have been the 380, what’s the point of a special limited run of a car if a far better unlimited production car is a matter of months away?

I suspect if this had come along without all the stepping stones over the last couple of years my order will already have been placed by now. Maybe it’s just timing and now there’s new investment Lotus are rolling out the cars they knew they were capable of and there will be clear direction for he models going forward to regain the confidence from those people burnt.

Anyway, I’m not a hater - well done all you folks at Lotus for creating what must be a truly fantastic car. The car we all wished for when we saw the Evora 400/311. 

• Like 2

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

3 hours ago, Mark030358 said:

Can't remember which forum I posted on, but I said the next gen car will br 6 figures, well here we have it with the old gen car, 6 figures. Very nice indeed, but would I lash out 100K+ with options.... errmmmm NO.

Mark

I beg to differ a bit. if you want to replace your High performance 4 cyl Exige there's still the high performance 4 cyl Elise. The Exige V6 was a different beast from the get go, it started its life in a different price range and will no doubt end it in a different sphere at the top end, but if one looks at the range of cars, Lotus goes from around 32k to 112k. 

Actually customers in Europe have more models to chose from than ever, the Elise has 4 variants, same with the Exige and the Evora - the only variant missing is the Evora Roadster.

The Elise Sport is there and will cater for the  entry level and at under 50k I believe the Elise 260 Cup stands pretty much where the old Exige used to stand (inflation permitting).

The Exige V6 occupies the spot that the Evora initially occupied starting at 55K 

The Evora is the car that actually moved segment in the eyes of some eventhough the brand always wanted to see it as a 911 rival.

If anything Lotus is sending signals to some out there, should a new Cayman GT4  or GT4 RS  come out, it will have a rival from Hethel, named Exige Cup 430. 

Edited by NedaSay
  • Like 2
41 minutes ago, SFO said:

Makes no sense to spend money to get charged cooled engine into Exige and limit production 

They’re not limiting production on this one

3 hours ago, Bibs said:

So no matter what Lotus release, you'll not be buying one due to familiarity? Makes your point about price moot as even if this was half the price, you'd not want one as you've already been there, done that by the sounds of it. 

That assumption on your part. Read the words again, 'based on the other bits that make up the car'. If it was a 100k 'new' (signif platform) Lotus, then that may feel different. Like Esprit v Elise v Exige did. And even if 150, maybe genius. The point I make to Mark is that whilst he may feel that price is the issue, for many it will not be. Its price of that particular item.

As an aside to the specificity of that response, I think this should have been the real new Cup, it is more Cup bonkers than the tweaked 360s, 380s, etc. If they all remained Sports, this would have sat on a very lofty perch and consequently been very halo. This is the bonkers type of release the current Cup badge should live on. We like bonkers in this sector more than anything.

Edited by cbaileyuk

apart from the price that puts me off (the price tag in France is 128.600€ :o !), what makes me wonder is the announced torque ... the info I read is that it is announced the max torque is still 400Nm (gearbox being the limit factor) ? if so, how can you produce more HP without rising whether the torque or the max RPM, as bhp is the product of torque X Rpm  ? 

I love the car and hope they'll sell a lot of them, but I won't be a prospect for that ... how can a still very similar car be sold almost twice the price the original Exige S was sold ? 

14 minutes ago, French Frie said:

apart from the price that puts me off (the price tag in France is 128.600€ :o !), what makes me wonder is the announced torque ... the info I read is that it is announced the max torque is still 400Nm (gearbox being the limit factor) ? if so, how can you produce more HP without rising whether the torque or the max RPM, as bhp is the product of torque X Rpm  ? 

I love the car and hope they'll sell a lot of them, but I won't be a prospect for that ... how can a still very similar car be sold almost twice the price the original Exige S was sold ? 

Well it is stated that the HP is reached at higer RPM than the 380.
Also, now that the charge air gets more cooling they can charge with higher air pressure with the compressor.

Edited by razad