free hit
counters
Exige 380 ecu remap - Page 3 - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

14 minutes ago, Arun_D said:

The emails sounds sensible to me. Don't track until the running in mineral oil is replaced with the proper rated stuff and the engine has it's bedding-in miles complete, and exercise mechanical sympathy on your pride and joy. The only thing extra bit I don't many of us would do is the idling for up to two minutes once back in the pits to prmote a more gentle cool down and avoid high 'hot soak' temperatures that may occur if you just key-off. I certainly don't.

They may have been better to describe a cool down lap or two, at least this way you get running air going through the engine and brakes, I find standing still with the engine running after being on track increases temperatures. In 2017 I disciplined myself to ensure I did at least 2 cool down laps if anything to help save my brakes! I wouldn't change my gearbox or engine oil after each track day either, instead I opt to change it every three track days which I think is a more balanced view. Motul 300 for gearbox and Mobile1 for engine.

www.alias23.com

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Even if you could, raising the rev-limiter on the 380 might be unwise... Expanding on your existing comments, Lotus use the slightly lower engine RPM-limit to protect the Super Charger from over-

@alias23 I'm not going to speculate. The new 430 Cup has a higher RPM limit than the 380, as does the 350 and V6S. I took a look at the De Roure parts list and  the only thing I could see is that from

When I had my 997 GT3 I looked to part ex against an RS version.  Car had a new engine fitted at 3k miles.  Dealer showed me the bill.... £52k !!!!

That's a good point, reading it again they havn't advised it cool down laps at all, definitely a must!! I'm super sensitive as well to this after a bad experiences on previous Meganes even with cool down laps. Thankfully the Lotus seems a bit more resilient after I've been forced to come in a couple of times at short notice (mostly at Goodwood due to how they run the days)

1 minute ago, Arun_D said:

That's a good point, reading it again they havn't advised it cool down laps at all, definitely a must!! I'm super sensitive as well to this after a bad experiences on previous Meganes even with cool down laps. Thankfully the Lotus seems a bit more resilient after I've been forced to come in a couple of times at short notice (mostly at Goodwood due to how they run the days)

They do, they say:

The customer must perform a "cool down" lap at normal road speeds off of the "racing line" to allow the engine and exhaust system to cool down to normal temperatures

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Arun_D said:

Agree with cool down laps, very important. Not easy at Brands GP on a sessions day though - could drive off a mile down the road I suppose.

3 minutes ago, 550superfast said:

Agree with cool down laps, very important. Not easy at Brands GP on a sessions day though - could drive off a mile down the road I suppose.

That's it, it's the sessioned nature of Goodwood I was getting at, can make things challenging.

When I used to still do tourist sessions at the Nordschliefe and had come come off after each lap, I used to do a run down to the Industry Park and back immediately after! That said, even with my V6 and unlimited lapping there on trackdays, I usually have to drive straight to the fuel station after each outing so plenty of cooling.

3 minutes ago, Arun_D said:

That's it, it's the sessioned nature of Goodwood I was getting at, can make things challenging.

When I used to still do tourist sessions at the Nordschliefe and had come come off after each lap, I used to do a run down to the Industry Park and back immediately after! That said, even with my V6 and unlimited lapping there on trackdays, I usually have to drive straight to the fuel station after each outing so plenty of cooling.

thats what i was doing, since the gas tank on my exige s would last a session and a half, i'd drive down the street to the gas station to fill up between every session.

To digress slightly, there is a thread on the playground re possible supercharger problem...

https://forums.the playground.org/viewthread.php?tid=446894

sorry if I shouldn't post this here :sofa:

cheers

Mark

I would be very surprised if the scoring would come from "pieces from the supercharger".

To my knowledge, the TVS1320 is used in numerous applications, OEM and aftermarket, and have never read about any issues, with the exception of an occasional failed bearing.

Now, if the supercharger lobes do show scoring too, my bet would be on some funky stuff going on on the intake side (and being sucked in?)

• 4 weeks later...

A little update

I didn t accept any of the offers from the dealer about the engine failure and I asked them to officially make a warranty claim with Lotus

The only proof they showed is some partial vague email reply to them from someone at Lotus saying only "It s not a warranty issue it s accidental damage" and I mean that apart from "good morning" this is how the email start and no other detail at all.

I sent an email to Lotus directly at the specific warranty email on their web site asking for clarification about their warranty policies and if one should expect that after one misshift (that did not brake anything) then the warranty is gone and other details but they did not reply.

To be clear the engine was standard but the dealer was saying that the car was "modified" as I fitted the auto blip module.

I would say that all the auto blip do is automatically blipping the throttle and that it s the same thing that you could do yourself with heel and toe just more precisely and that It was turned off most of the time anyway.

If something about how I used the car makes lotus not cover the warranty even at only 2400km It s ok for me I m not insisting on that but I just would think that a company like lotus should at least make things clear

and take the time to reply and assume that position so it s clear to everyone when buying a cup car that they intend to use on track.

And even then there are quiet a few failures of the v6 on street only cars on the forum.

I will take the car back from the dealer and buy a new engine at a more affordable price from one of the well know lotus tuner but then I m probably going to sell the car.

That’s such a poor show from Lotus and a real shame especially given the price mark of the cars now a days... better service is really expected! 

Sorry to hear you feel the way you do about the car... hopefully with the new engine and a few miles you may fall back in love with the car.

www.alias23.com

I can see Lotus' point of view - your engine has over rev'd and you have fitted an after marked 'auto blip' module, which will cause the engine to rev. What is to say that the module hasn't caused it? It should be simple enough for Lotus to see if its a warranty issue or a driver or modification issue by interogating the ECU but equally, they don't have to. The warranty is clear that modifications invalidate it, and that's why I personally I wouldn't modify a car that's in warranty unless it's an 'official' modification such as a Fiesta mountune package. 

4 hours ago, Gashead1105 said:

I can see Lotus' point of view - your engine has over rev'd and you have fitted an after marked 'auto blip' module, which will cause the engine to rev. What is to say that the module hasn't caused it?

This, unfortunately. 

I can’t remember this ‘auto-blip module’ being mentioned before. 

Yes but my point is not really about if they would change the engine under warranty or not.

I perfectly understand that they could have some reasons to refuse it.

But as a customer of a brand new model at the price of the 380 cup that they market as track focused and they want to market as in competition with the best sport cars brands I would expect at least some transparence and a somehow written reply on what they think caused the problems and reasons for them to refuse the warranty.

Not just some dealer chat and an almost total lack of reply.

I spoke with other tuners and dealers some of them well known and they all offered some good and much less expensive solution for a new engine so I would like to do that but still I think a reply or some written offer from lotus would be nicer.

I would like to know Lotus point of view that s exactly what I don t know

Edited by Maxi_z
2 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

This, unfortunately. 

I can’t remember this ‘auto-blip module’ being mentioned before. 

The auto blip is not a standard part right.

But it just blip the throttle when you press brake and clutch to downshift and only in the same way you could do it by pressing the throttle pedal it can not force the car to rev or do not alter any ecu parameter.

If for some reason they consider it a problem and refuse warranty based on that I once more say that it s ok for me but would like to hear from them if it s just the way they answer always to a warranty claim even with the slightest modification or if there is a techni al reason not to fit that.

Maybe the main thing is that for different reasons I do not rely on that dealer that much as they initially did not want to make the warranty claim and other stuff.

Edited by Maxi_z

I have the auto blip as well ... its like @Maxi_z describes it ... worst case it blips  the throttle and you will run in to the limiter ... over reving the engine can almost only be due to a miss shift (down instead of up) where you force the engine into very high revs ...

I would also expect Lotus to at least properly reply to the claim ... 

@Maxi_z do you have any idea how high the revs went for how long when you had the miss shift? 

It was really not for long as I did n even removed my foot from the clutch and pressed it back immediately

On the onboard camera I saw only the rpm go to around 7200 rpm but their datalog say 7800 rpm

The v6 do not have a blow off valve and as many complain about the throttle sometimes do not respond well at lower rpm when doing heel and toe.

Maybe for some reason Lotus did it that way as a workaround for some lean condition or other if you blip the throttle but even if that s how it is I think that it s a cheap workaround for not having other proper parts fitted and that you would make the exact same thing as the autoblip if you heel and toe as even with the autoblip at certain low rpm the throttle almost don t accelerate

• Gold FFM

I'm not convinced based on the posts so far that the Dealer has fully communicated with lotus and got full replies back from Lotus.

Just saying.

I think you should cut the dealer out and go to Lotus direct on the phone / email.  Then see what the official response is for yourself. Just an observation.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

5 hours ago, C8RKH said:

I'm not convinced based on the posts so far that the Dealer has fully communicated with lotus and got full replies back from Lotus.

Just saying.

I think you should cut the dealer out and go to Lotus direct on the phone / email.  Then see what the official response is for yourself. Just an observation.

I m also not really convinced about all that and that s exactely why I was asking for a reply from Lotus and will probably take the car back from them.

Not a problem if at the end Lotus do not repair the car under warranty as they might have some reason but the dealer first reaction was to send me a message with the picture of the ecu 7800rpm mishift and saying something like sorry it seems that you overreved the car once...

I think that s not even trying to work out something fair and too easy for them...

Then I asked if Lotus replied something written to them and they replied that they just spoke with someone at Lotus about it and he told them to not even bother to fill the official warranty claim as it would not be accepted and they suggested that

it would be better like that as if I fill the warranty with a tracked car then they would refuse any other claim on that car... But I mean what warranty calim would be worst than a full engine and supercharger?

The only direct problem with Lotus actually is that they didn t reply at all to my email but I can always send another one.

Edited by Maxi_z

Try emailing..

[email protected]

He was the guy that sorted my clutch warranty claim on my V6S. I think he's the "Claims Manager". See also on the  Evora forums a thread titled "I'm Done With Lotus". Same kind of issues your having with a pathetic dealer.

thanks

Mark

If the revs are to 7800rpm (the log is likely more accurate, the dash only shows up to certain figures, same with the speeds) then that's 1000rpm over what the limiter allows on the 380. While this is your own fault, I would be very disappointed in Lotus if I were in your position and at least expect them to cover some costs if they weren't going to help at all.  IMO the autoblipper has nothing to do with it and is irrelevant. Although I do think you should learn to drive as hell & toe isn't that hard :lol: ;) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 16/03/2018 at 23:41, NW76 said:

I have the auto blip as well ... its like @Maxi_z describes it ... worst case it blips  the throttle and you will run in to the limiter ... over reving the engine can almost only be due to a miss shift (down instead of up) where you force the engine into very high revs ...

I would also expect Lotus to at least properly reply to the claim ... 

@Maxi_z do you have any idea how high the revs went for how long when you had the miss shift? 

I am considering to add an Auto-Blip for race track. How complicate is the installation procedure? Is it something I can do? Where you put it, and do you need to cut some cables? I saw a manual with electric diagram but is not clear where those cables are and how it is attached.

More over it seems that uses OBD-II port. Then I dear I cannot use the Auto-Blip and the OBD reader at same time, or can I?

1 hour ago, Cristiano said:

I am considering to add an Auto-Blip for race track. How complicate is the installation procedure? Is it something I can do? Where you put it, and do you need to cut some cables? I saw a manual with electric diagram but is not clear where those cables are and how it is attached.

More over it seems that uses OBD-II port. Then I dear I cannot use the Auto-Blip and the OBD reader at same time, or can I?

KomoTec installed it for me. I didnt dare to do this myself. Took approx 2h ... you still can use the OBD slot.