free hit
counters
Re-chroming indicator/lamp reflectors - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Re-chroming indicator/lamp reflectors

I was convinced I posted something up about getting reflectors re-chromed, but damned if I can find it. Must be getting old.

Anyway, I was wondering whether I could get the plastic reflectors re-chromed anywhere, but pretty much drew a blank. However............I discovered this stuff that is brush-on, and appears to be the biz - https://www.stardustcolors.co.uk/chrome-paint/1229-brush-on-chrome-chrome-paint-using-brush.html

Haven't tried it as yet, though.

Margate Exotics.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello Ian, I think the chrome plating was a PM conversation we had.

Yes it is, I found it! Have a look in your inbox - the last post was that you had found a company about ten miles away from you?

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

In theory I believe a reflector is not chrome plated because the chrome thickness can't be really even over all the surface, hence a bad control of the reflection of the light.

Of course as it's not a real chrome here it could be OK, I just wanted to tell that chrome plate a metal reflector is probably not the way to go when refurbishing metallic reflectors.

3 hours ago, swindon_alan said:

Hello Ian, I think the chrome plating was a PM conversation we had.

Yes it is, I found it! Have a look in your inbox - the last post was that you had found a company about ten miles away from you?

Ah, ok Alan. I remember now. Like I said, old age, and probably juggling all kinds of Esprit-related winter mods in my head.

Julien, I’m talking about the plastic reflectors that have a ‘chrome’ plating, like the Esprit front indicators, especially as they have been obsolete for some time. The paint could be a good way to refurbish them if the chrome coating has flaked off, or deteriorated.

Margate Exotics.

Lucky your car's not a Stevens or G car.  When you wash your car, water runs down the front bumper and can run into the inside of the indicator lense, as there is no seal.  Water then gets trapped and rusts the plated steel reflector.  I had to replace mine when I first bought my car.

The indicator side light pods are painted with chrome silver paint. They have a polished piece of aluminium wedged in on the side to increase the throw. I painted mine with some chrome spray from a craft shop recently and they are nice and bright now. 

735C53C8-60C4-4E20-ABA4-DBADA0C8BE4E.jpeg

Note the captive mirrors.

My seals were goosed so I siliconed the rear of the lights to the bumper and made a new front gasket from adhesive neoprene strip from ebay