free hit
counters
Esprit S4S - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Esprit S4S

S4S 4

Hi Chaps I picked up the Esprit today and it a lovely example. My only concern is the brakes !!! They work don't worry but they are very juddery over 50 mph . To me it's like the discs are warped or is this normal( I hope not).

image1.jpeg

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Nice car john. You ain’t gonna regret that I’m sure.

brake judder could just be dirt in the grooves if they are slotted. Either way probably an easy fix. It’s not normal - but the abs system ain’t brilliant on these cars

Only here once

Check your tyre pressures are correct first of  all should be 2 Bar . When you say juddering do you mean it feels like the brake pedal is pulsing? or the steering wheel is feeding back the feeling? Front or back brakes ? Mine is very sensitive to tyre pressures being correct.

Discs could be worn or pads could be contaminated or both,wheel bearings could be worth a look at as could wheel balance. Agree abs is not starship quality but in 17 years of ownership has always managed to stop mine with no drama and indeed saved my ass a couple times.

Nick S4s

Simplest things first.

Wishbone bushes? 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

My old car as you know - I personally would say it’s the pulse of the ABS system.....but will be interested what you find John. Never found it that intrusive personally but I never really drove the car super hard so never really needed the full use of the brakes. I always ran the tyre pressures lowish as I preferred the ride as it could be a bit harsh with harder pressures......but as Nick said it maybe those you need to change to get the feel you want personally.

It’s really weird reading about my old car, but I kinda like it......enjoy mate - really glad you now own it as it’s found an appreciative owner in yourself.:thumbup:

I think it could well be the pulse from the abs system,on occasion when I've braked sharpish you do feel the pedal pulsing under your foot ,if you had a bad disc/pad etc you'd find the car would pull to one side as you would with unbalanced tyre pressures mine tramlines terribly if the pressures are out.

Simplest things first.

Thanks Chaps?I had the Esprit out for a run today and they did not seem so bad. The other day I was motorway driving and I felt it more at high speed . Today was a game drive with the Mrs.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Sparky said:

Jaysus, even I don't make that much mess.

Now where's that 10mm spanner, sure I laid it down here somewhere.

6 minutes ago, Trevsked said:

Mmmmm.

Trevor.

Yes, this was when it’s was tidy ;) 

C3DF159F-DAC2-4FD2-B6EB-83D85FD6A1B6.thumb.jpeg.56fc50690464ad9307a00c8c5093004c.jpeg

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400