free hit
counters
250 to a 260 cup should I do it? - Elise / Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

250 to a 260 cup should I do it?

scotty435

Posting this topic on this forum because I know I will get some good feed back, I have been offered what I think is a great deal to exchange my 250 cup for a 260 cup, but not sure if it's the right direction to go? It's going to be what could be my ladt upgrade for some good years. I know people are going to say go for a V6, but I want to buy new for reasons I don't want to go into. The 260 as been spec'd in Fire Red, AC, Stereo and what I think is essential Carbon roof and being so limited numbers it could hold it value to certain extent. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Agree, get it because you love the car and the whole concept of the Elise. It may end up being the ultimate Elise until the all new one, it may not.

Assume they announce a Cup 270 next year and ask yourself if you still want this one. If the answer’s yes, go for it and drive off into the sunset happy, regardless of what Lotus do next. If the limited run is a big part of the appeal I’d advise caution. But don’t have a go if this turns out to be the ultimate Elise or the next one isn’t as desirable!

I’ve gone into the GT430 assuming there will be a 450 before the Evora’s done. I’m very partial to an early Elise 250 Cup also a high spec Sprint 220. Later MY2017 250 Cup wasn’t an improvement to me other than the open gate shifter. But also a sucker for wheel arch vents and would get a huge kick out of owning one of the 30 Cup 260’s. Probably go for Championship Gold too!

• Like 1

Thanks guys for your advice, being superseded in the near future doesn't worry me, I knew it would happen when I put my order in for the 250 so feel like I been there, just think the 260 looks super aggressive with the big flat rear wing and a sucker for Carbon, was offered the Carbon pack at a discount when I ordered the 250 and regretted it from the day I collected the car. With the Carbon roof think the 260 going to look great and the new front clam just looks the part with like Pits said arch vents and have thought about Championship Gold as I do like it, but can not Fire Red out of my mind ever since seeing it on the 430. Thanks again and it looks like it's going to happen.

In that case, let me be the first to congratulate you. :clap:

Few will ever drive one so please keep us updated with how you get on. I'm quite sure that it will always be very special to drive, whatever anyone comes out with. Cars of such purity and lacking in compromise are rare already, it won't be long before they're extinct. Looks wise, it's already an all-time great.

I guess it ultimately depends on the level of demand for this one but I think the price and run of 30 suggests that Lotus might well have pushed the Elise as far as they're willing to go. Time will tell but it's not a bad place to be while we see how it all pans out.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

I may be wrong but I don't think either of the Cup 250 variants ever sold in dramatic numbers? I heard figures as low as 20-ish for the gen one Cup 250?

I guess the real stumbling block for people is all the V6 Exiges sitting in showrooms at similar money.

I think in future an Exige Cup 250/260 will become a very sought after car, as they're going to be rare as hen's teeth, even by Lotus standards, and there will always be those who prefer them (plus let's not forget other countries carry punitive taxes for the larger engine)

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

I was offered the option of switching my 250 order to a 260 but declined it as I didn't think the price premium justified the extra benefits and I already had my 250 spec'd just as I want it, but that just means it's not the right move for me! I also come from a V6 Exige and I specifically want an Elise this time, so although the 260 is approaching V6 money I think it has a different kind of appeal - I view it as going back to my Lotus roots :)

The 260 may or may not turn out to be the ultimate current generation Elise, but with only 30 being built it's resale value will hold up very well over the years - particularly if it's going to be a keeper.

If it makes financial sense to you, go for it! It will certainly be a fabulous car regardless of what comes next.

• Like 1

Thanks Neal, I think its a great price which is not right to say on here the dealer as offered me, like you I spec'd my 250 cup to what I wanted at the time, apart from the Carbon pack which I have been kicking my self ever since.  Never had a V6 but have driven a few so it's hard for me to compare, what colour you having and what spec if you don't mind me asking?

Motorsport green (whole car including rear wing) so no matt black apart from splitter, diffuser and barge boards.

Yellow stripes (Vinyl, just in case I change my mind afterwards!)

Black forged wheels with yellow calipers (dealer will need to get the calipers painted)

Yellow interior stitching and yellow painted centre console surround

Sound insulation, mats, stereo, air-con.

Harnesses (dealer to fit)

• Like 2

Sounds a great spec, motorsport green with yellow stripes is a iconic lotus combination one off my favourites of all time, have you spec'd hardtop or soft top? The car will look great with no matte black, the only  way the yellow stripes will work. Like to think you are going to impressed coming from a V6, only had 4pot lotus's and this will be my 5th so they can not be that bad lol.

• Like 1

Handling is peerless with the light four cylinder engine. Feels like there no mass behind you to manage at all. 5 very happy years with my Elise.

My V6 Exige was a Roadster and that came with a hard top. The first time the sun shone I took the hard top off and never put it back on, so I think I'd be wasting my money buying another hard top!

I've owned a number of Elise's in the past and always had very fond memories of them, my view is that a SC Elise has just the right amount of HP for a twisty B road. More recently I've owned the V6 Exige and an Evora 400 - both epic cars, but too fast for me to exploit on the road (my use is 95% road).

A 260 Cup in Fire Red is going to look sensational - can't wait to see the pictures when you get it :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I think you should stick with what you have Scott. The original Cup kit is far better looking than the non existent 260 version. The larger diffuser and shaped wing sold it for me.

My personal opinion is that the straight wing does not suit the curved back end of the Elise like it does the flatter Exige back end so looks like an aftermarket job so put me off liking it straight away.

Your car is still quite rare as is my 220 Cup so the values are going to hold fairly well compared to a standard Elise.

I'm going to stick with mine as I find that getting into this game of always having the best version is only going to cost you more than holding the potential future value in it.

Just my 2p worth. :)