free hit
counters
Late S1 Battery Box - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Fridge

Late S1 Battery Box

Hi, I'm in the middle of fabricating a replacement battery box for a late, UK (RHD) S1 during this nut and bolt restoration. I have some photos of what my missing item should look like, mainly from the more common S2 version. Although I'm still unsure of the battery cable routing.

Is there anyone out there who could shed any light on both the routing of the positive and negative cables from the engine & chassis, to the actual battery terminal posts.

Some photos show the cables entering the leading (front) side of the box via a circular hole at the wheel side corner. I assume passing through the chassis area between the rear luggage floor and top of the rear suspension. Whereas others show the cables looping over the middle of the long side of the battery box from the wheel arch side, accommodated by a cut out in the boot floorboard. Indicating that the cables are routed via the cavity in the body shell between the offside wheel arch and the luggage area floor.

Oddly, battery boxes with the hole on the right (as you look down from the rear bumper) also show another oval hole cut in the front and inner side wall for some reason.

Unfortunately I cannot post a photo I have illustrating the above due to limitations in this blog platform.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Fridge

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.