free hit
counters
Custom skins in the make. Where to mount the mids. - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Roberto Esprit

Custom skins in the make. Where to mount the mids.

So I got these audi parts. Dunno if this a repost sorry if it is delete this and PM me. I am working a lot so I dunno...

Anyway. The audi had some sick mids  that are 14 years newer than the Esprit along with nice silk tweeters good enclosures and some 5 inch woofers with huge coils. The woofer pods didnt fit in the door so I am not going to do that. But as you can see in the photo I have handles that have mounts for the tweeters. with the door closed the driver side is pointed at the wheel but could be finessed to hit off the space between the driver and passenger. I am thinking about eliminating the dash speakers as from what I have read and seen having them there is a horrible idea. However I may add a center channel. as Probably after adding the custom doors I will be doiing a custom dash. The stock one not only is full of steel but I have a climate system I want to use. I should work out a fair trade between the weight I loose and gain. 

Guys where would you put the mids? They are small like 3 inch but they have a great driver and an enclosure. I lied... The cone is 2in across and the enclosure comes to 2.5 inch. but they can put up. I tested them on my home theater and they took all I could give without breaking up. BTW the tweeters are capped and I wont be investing in the audio again for like another year so I am really looking for a solution with what I got. I am not afraid to massage the fiberglass door surround.

Also the fiberglass template is curing in my garage attic right now. If I am lucky and it cures in this cold I am going to hook up the cable to the latch tomorrow and do the foaming on the car as well as massage the plastic so it does not rub the binnacle. The arm rest sits perfect!

IMG_20171114_143555.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

So this looks a lot different right now..... The only reason I do not have it mounted right now is its pouring rain and I have to disassemble the audi door to get the cable for the door pull. I ended up using the audi center as it has a nice burl piece and red lighting... IE I wish I didnt have to cut up the door so much to fit it because I would have used the whole top section including the speaker grille for the mid as its the only sensible location for it.

Whats done: Got a glass template made up. Got the audi parts bolted to the template. got the top bar to clear the binnacle. Also figured out the audi stock location is the correct location for the mids as the angle of the dangle and the mass of the @$$ are correct!

Ambitious. Hope it all works out.

Not something I would take on as I would not know where to start.

I can't help with your build, but what I will say is that if you are struggling to get your polyester resin to cure in the cold, use a hairdryer to get it warm. Once it starts going off, it will then produce it's own heat so monitor the temperature as you're going.

I've had resin smoking in the past. :)

Glyn! Thats what I did lol. I refuse to use polyester after using vinylrster. The stuff is chem resistant and marginally stronger but not as hard as a true epoxy.

Also ramjet. Dude this is my first set of totally custom door skins. This is actually a great project and the best part is having the door skin off the esprit does not make it un operational. My car is a DD and budget is tight.... Hence why I am about to have a bunch of guys chasing me with pitchforks if I dont order some material soon... :X

Let me tell you what guys putting a higher door handle and arm rest makes a big deal as far as opening and closing goes. Also any S4 or V8 owners please feel free to tell me about your door speakers as I am having trouble picturing the space for the speakers.... I got my mid and tweeter posistioned... Audi factory spot because of space restrictions in the esprit but the woofer is another deal entirely. I am out of foam and dont have any clay so I am down to gluing what I got until tomorrow if I can sneak away from a party quick enough. Also I will post the entire process once I do the passenger side on youtube.

I swapped the whole dash and doors on my car to V8 ones. That moved the ‘rear’ speakers from the small enclosures behind the seats into the doors.

The sound is much better as there is a decent air volume inside the door to use.

Ideally I’d have some dynomat on the back of the door panel opposite where the speaker is, but I don’t want to add the weight.

It’s better sounding than it was, but still doesn’t sound great compared to the Harmon Kardon system in my M4. :)

The V8 doors are a massive improvement, and do drop straight onto the older cars. I have the last style interior in mine.

That took some doing but wasn’t that bad a job really. I did a write up several years ago. 

I thought of adding a sub somewhere but don’t want the extra weight. I usually have the stereo off anyway so I can listen out for the next thing to break!!

Cool deal bro. Yeah I dont wish doing custom molded skins on anyone. Its not the time nor is it expensive its all the times you make a mistake and know that you are going to have to repeat the process on the other side. BTW thanks for learing up that it was the " Rears" that were moved to the doors and not the dash.

I got some of the wrong clay on the template today. Glass tomorrow.

IMG_20171120_001758.jpg