free hit
counters
EVORA 400/410 GEARBOX CHATTER - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
gts1

EVORA 400/410 GEARBOX CHATTER

Hi Guys,

Does anyone of you either own an Evora 400 or Sport 410 from 2017 production or know someone that does ?

If yes could you please confirm (or deny) wether there is no gearbox chatter at low rpm in 1st or 2nd gears ?  (As per a lot of current Evora 400)

The question came from a youtube video, where James from JayEmm is test driving an Evora sport 410 and noticed that there was no gearbox chatter on the manual sport 410 he was driving.

If the answer is positive then I wonder what has been changed by Lotus to manage that

Thanks for your help !

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thanks for the answer Julian ! 

Anyone else can give an input ?

I've had 3 V6 powertrain packages ( Exige V6S , V6 Cup and 410) . The location and package used will naturally product more noise than others installs and if they spent more time with some harmonic tuning they could probably mitigate some of it. My 410 is much better than the Exiges, and the Cup was better than the V6S , so maybe they've improved the install bit by bit.

I've found the best way to help reduce the noise overall is i) never run in a gear higher than 2nd below 2000rpm, ever ....and ii) while running in let it spin freely, never labour the box and see i). Also worth looking across MR2 forums that also use the box for some of their high output installs and try different oils etc.

One thing is apparent from day 1 you need to focus on properly bedding it in , as after that only more soundproofing or earbuds will help. :)

Thanks a lot for the valuable answers and hints !

in my case I heard the gearbox chatter noise while test driving an Evora 400....honestly I can definitely live with it ! This car drives like a dream !

But if there is a small mod to cure this noise I would also do it to make the car just more pleasant ! Definitely not a show stopper for me as I am still negocating with my Lotus dealer !

thanks again !

On 11/15/2017 at 10:34, Cypriot said:

i also have a 2017 400 with chatter at low rpm in first/second gear

Snap

I might not be listening hard enough but I haven't noticed anything on my 2017 410

I have a 2018 evora 410 I got it a day before they announced the new 410 too :( I also do get the chatter on first gear

Just to add to the topic: My GT430 Sport has the sams noise that I noticed on e.g. a 2016 Evora 400 before. Not better or any way different. Only in 1 and 2 at low rpm.

My 400 (and previous 350) have the same noise, i had a chat with Matt at Silverstone while the car was with them, it is transmitted through the gearchange cables, I think he said that there had been some changes to reduce noise.

just had the cables adjusted as there was a slight issue changing from 3 to 2, didn't think to see if the noise had been reduced by tensioning the cables.

It’s a gearbox from a diesel.  Would be surprised if you can reduce the noise through any mods other than more sound proofing.  The noise is less pronounced in the Evora 400 than the Exige due to this reason imho.  

I can put up with it in Exige as usually at higher revs, but it did drive me mad in my Evora S1 which I used as a daily.  Part of the reason I went for Auto in the Evora 400 was no chatter ;)

Never heard it in my car but I haven't ever laboured the engine either as that's the worst thing you can do when running in. Plus I didn't buy it to drive it like a minicab!

It’s a Toyota gearbox - the noise is well documented in Toyota forums

As Jonny i try and keep the engine where it is happier (above 2000rpm) and the noise is minimal by then

It’s an interesting subject, sorry I haven’t read any Toyota forums on the subject,  reading the 400 workshop manual, its a three shaft design with both the input shaft are in mesh with the crown wheel, as an educated guess it’s the free play of the non driven input shaft at low revs that causes the chatter.

Same gearbox as used in the Series 1 Close Ratio cars and all S models.  Only mods for later 400's, 410, and 430 is the fiting of an oil cooling system.