free hit
counters
EVORA 400/410 GEARBOX CHATTER - Page 2 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
gts1

EVORA 400/410 GEARBOX CHATTER

Yes, its normal.  The solution is to keep the revs up and keep away from the higher gears at lower speeds.  Its only really an issue for me when I have someone else in the car and am doing my best to drive "conservatively".  If you want a car that you can cruise around smoothly and quietly in then  the Evora isn't a good choice.  On the other hand, after the Evora my wife's 500SL puts me to sleep.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

An IPS Evora does not have gearbox whine so an Evora could still be the right choice!

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

Auto has no “chatter” and perfect for 400 IMHO

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

Before ordering my previous Exige V6, the cars I test drove both had the gearbox chatter, as did an Evora I tested at the time, albeit one of the Exiges was worse than the other. When my own car eventually arrived some 3 months later I was expecting the same but, in fact, there was no chatter from the gearbox at all. My first thoughts were that Lotus must have fixed the issue and my car was one of the new batch but obviously that isn’t the case. 

My point being that there is clearly a fault in some of these V6 gearboxes, but not all. If my own car didn’t have the problem, it must surely be possible for Lotus/Toyota to find the issue and fix it. Maybe it’s down to something as simple as machining tolerances but whatever it is, my experience proves it doesn’t actually have to be that way. 

For various reasons, my current Evora is an auto so obviously doesn’t have that same issue. 

I still miss that V6 Exige of mine every time I speak of it and really wish I could have kept it. 😢