free hit
counters
Winter storage? - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
BatMobile

Winter storage?

Hey guys,

this is my first Christmas with my 350 and I don’t want to drive it over the winter period, mainly because it’s a third car and when you can’t drive it in a spirited fashion I just don’t see the point in adding the mileage.

having not been in this position before i have a few (probably stupid) questions.

1) do I need a trickle charger and if so any recommendations?

2) do I need to periodically start the car or will it be ok left for the winter? If left, anything I should do upon first start in spring?

3) is the car best covered given the open engine bay? 

4) should I keep the handbrake off and put blocks under the wheels?

5) anything else I should know?

thanks guys but I love this car and want to ensure i do the right things for her over the winter period.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'm only round the corner, let me know if you want me to drive it for you, it's guaranteed to be more fun and have less flat batteries than leaving it in the garage/outside ;)

• Like 1

Didn't know about the handbrake.. is it that important to not put it? My parking space is slightly downhill. Maybe gearbox is sufficient, although I would not feel safe only with that..

With handbrakes, yes, don’t apply them if the car is left for a long time. Over time, the cable(s) will lose tension so in effect, stretch. Leave the car in gear and/or chock the wheels 

• Like 1

@Cristiano put two pieces of wood under the two rear  wheels so you have solved it

cuneo-in-legno.jpg.a79a780499f2c1e9b00620b8b82939b7.jpg

- absolutly no handbrake
- completely free (without gears inserted)
- possibly with at least 3/4 of gasoline
- Check the oil level
- a nice exterior and interior cleaning
- Battery Charger / Holder Inserted (Auto Adjusted)

inflate the tires to the maximum pressure recommendation listed on the sidewalls before you leave your car, to account for this loss of air pressure. also place your car on jack stands. if you have a dirt floor in your garage, put the jack stands on wooden squares of even thickness to prevent them from sinking.