free hit
counters
Headlamp Issue - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I have recommissioned my S3 which has been off the road for 7 years. However the headlamps both flip up correctly most of the time then occasionally the N/S decides not to bother. Has anyone else had this problem before I start dismantling things when there might be an easy fix?

Cheers Mike

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

When it doesn't lift, what happens if you try to manually raise it? Does it suddenly power up and lift? If so it could be that the park position is slightly off or dirty contacts in the motor.

:) 

Yes as soon as you go to manually lift it kicks into life. How do I rectify this?

Cheers Mike

the first thing I would do is very slightly tighten the armature adjusting screw. Its a screw with a locknut. Its used to adjust the endfloat of the armature. A very small adjustment in will make the motor run slightly slower, out will make it faster.

You need to try turning it in just a tiny amount. This will slow the motor by a small amount and mean its more likely to stop in exactly the correct place.

If that doesn't work you may need to clean the contacts in the motor. This is not difficult other than you need to take the motor out of the car. There is a plastic box arrangement on the side of the motor, this houses the contacts which operate the motor. They make and break the circuit. These can become dirty and corroded so they don't make a good contact. To clean, they need a small piece of wet and dry used between the contacts to clean them up.

Be prepared for possible hours of messing about, I know as the motors are the same as in an Elite I have been trying to sort with dodgy headlamps. I've spent an inordinate amount of time cleaning and adjusting the damn things.

:)