free hit
counters
Esprit S4S - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
S4S 4

Esprit S4S

Has anyone fitted the twin tailpipe back box . I think it will look better than the single pipe. The noise might not change that much I expect but with the decay pipe you never know.? 

• Thanks 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Please no! Not many S4s left with single tail pipe.

I would pay more for an original rear end on an S4s. If you insist on doing it I’d buy a whole new rear bumper and keep the original one for the next owner.

• Haha 1

It won't affect the bumper.  Just the diffuser which can be replaced and kept in the garage.

20171117_121419.jpg

• Like 1

Leave him alone Jonny:lol:.......it’s his car now - you had your chance!:thumbup:

• Haha 1

Alunox do a nice one 

2 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Alunox do a nice one 

Says the man that got the unrepeatable deal of the year:lol: Will be interesting to see with 2 pipes to be fair - goes against my originalality OCD issues but if it can be returned to stock easily......then why not:thumbup:

Oh no - should I keep my old cast manifold then??

• Haha 1

We're you after this car Johnny. I think it will look good in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, S4S 4 said:

We're you after this car Johnny. I think it will look good in my opinion. 

Jonny has always admired the one and only Mica Yellow S4s with Monarch Green leather John (sorry Jonny......it always needs its full titleB-)) and was on his shopping list a couple of times.......but he got over it by purchasing this horrible green thing - how he can live with himself I just don’t know......I mean it’s just horrible isn’t it?!:lol:

873ABE52-B0CB-4C15-B95B-72737553F51E.jpeg

FEBAC235-681E-4D69-9804-3AFFCEE74FD4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes was trying to work out a way to get hold of that Mica Yellow S4s as I’m very taken with the Sport 300 launch colour outside and Monarch Green leather inside.

I can’t see what another small exhaust pipe could add to the looks of such a stunning car, I doubt anyone else would notice. It’s looks neither good nor bad, therefore money for nothing in my opinion.  Baffled why anyone would bother to do it to be honest. Is it to pass it off as a V8? Or do some think it doesn’t look powerful enough? Perhaps someone could enlighten me. Coming from bikes 4-2-1 is the best design for power, so 4-2-2 seems like a less powerful option to me.

Personally I would be delighted that my car looked like an S4s if I had one. Each to their own of course, no harm done if it’s reversible. Many seem to look like the look so there’s something I’m missing.

But I am always sad to see twin pipes on a Sport 300, seems too important a car to be customising to me. Feel the same about the S4s these days too.

It could be argued that I’m a giant hypocrite after putting non-original wheels on my dry sump Turbo but I consider Compomotives to be an integral to the dry sump look and part of Colin Chapman’s  original specification for the car. 

However the real reason I don’t want to see twin pipes on this car is because I’d still like to see it in my garage one day!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Pits said:

Personally I would be delighted that my car looked like an S4s if I had one. Each to their own of course, no harm done if it’s reversible. Many seem to look like the look so there’s something I’m missing.

It's as simple matter of symmetry Jonny, I understand the purist ethos, and that extra pipework certainly won't add lightness, but lob-sidedness on such a work off art....surly not. And most importantly that extra pipe will add at least 20mph to the stood still top speed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well Jonny you never know it might be in your garage one day but until then you can be assured that this special car will be well looked after. I plan on getting the car detailed stage 2 or 3 machine Polish to remove some minor scratches. But first I need to get the paint thickness checked. 

I am doing the twin exhaust purely for looks. I know there will be no power gains and we all know it's not a V8 .

• Thanks 1

Asymmetry can look good too! Presumably the pipe work goes 4-1-2. A bigger bore pipe might add visual horsepower but those two small straws don’t. Integrale went from two exit pipes to one for the Evo cars and gained some bhp.    Bikes gain power by replacing twin exit systems so it never looked underendowed to me. Plus Esprits had asymmetric tail pipes until the V8 so we’ve had many years to get used to the look.

Will help bring the value down though, perhaps I should be encouraging it! ?

• Haha 1

I think the twin pipe will look better .Stunning car . Off topic ...But look at a lotus elite .eclat .s1esprit up Untill the x180 .all had twin pipes .Saw a x180 in Exeter .Fantastic shape .....Mike...S4 even cooler .....

@S4S 4 where abouts are you in the world? If you want to get it detailed Bibs recommended Mark at Marrells Detailing to me and his work is outstanding. He done my Esprit which is the original paint work and he has done Ricks Altair Green Elite thoroughly recommend him he does actually have a bad case of OCD which is just what you need in a detailer. Any excuse for a picture D4A9B9EA-E877-4026-8D68-4C3061E48DB2.thumb.jpeg.f4d1cebfbd90b4383e264c35ac7ccf97.jpeg

• Like 1

John is up here in Scotland and I’m pretty sure he already has someone in mind. I had it detailed back a year or so ago but it was just a gloss over instead of a proper paint correction and there are some light scratches that would be better removed.

I’m just happy it’s found a good home......and also the fact it hasn’t disappeared like so many cars I’ve sold over the years. It’s great watching the ongoing improvement work of what is a very special car. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Just so you know that bright stuff is called the sun. It is lovely and warm 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Dan E said:

Just so you know that bright stuff is called the sun. It is lovely and warm 

No.......you lost me at “sun”:huh:

• Haha 1

Yes that's right Stephen I have a guy in mind for doing the detail. I will be having the paint inspection this week to see what can be done. Watch this space ?

• Thanks 1

You know snow? It’s not like that it is a big fire in the sky makes you warm and not blue 

Dan’s clearly been on the sauce John:thumbup::wine:

I’m betting the style of exit pipe on the blue V8 featured below would provide a nicer sound resonance than the exit pipe that’s fitted currently. Appreciate this is the V8 but I would think the thinner steel with larger diameter exit would provide a better sound......

I intended changing if I was going to keep longer to a single exit in the style Yellow S4s photos I prefer the look .....not the best angle but you’ll get the idea. To be honest I always thought the exit pipe on my old car stuck out too much too, so will be nice to see a change.

Incidentally the Yellow S4s pictured is the other Mica Yellow S4s which resides in Australia.

0C7179A8-81C0-4E93-9BF1-A69020E10B57.jpeg

269DDDFC-F2A8-478D-888C-41C30B8D3BBA.png

Looks different in the sun - bet you’ve never seen it like that - pah Scotland ?