free hit
counters
Telemetry - Performance meters - Video Loggers - Page 2 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
geartox

Telemetry - Performance meters - Video Loggers

The racelogic has can input and overlay. Some of the guys use it when they have engine issues to see what’s going on. I’ve simply not bothered to use it because it’s against our regulations and like I say you really can see what you need from the analytics with regards to brake and throttle, particularly when you overlay an instructor’s lap data. 

I suspect for a bit of fun on track days then any of the systems will be more than adequate. We all like a good gadget and if you can afford it go for the one that takes your fancy. I think the Aim stuff is great for fuss free high quality video and telemetry info and is a tidy package especially if you want decent in car info. Don’t overlook the Garmin VIRB stuff, with a bit of faffing in their software you can do some cracking visuals (I’ve used the Virb 360 to do just that), it’s just no that useful as a training tool. 

Unless your on the pace you’ll get more from being in the car with a decent instructor. Also being driven by the instructor really helps get a feel for what the car can do. Chasing instructor laps time however is not advised and usually ends up in the barriers :)

I really went round the houses but in the end all the incar info I want is predictive timing in a big clear display and good tools for analysis. I bought the HD2 for the fancy rendering after using the Lite for a few years... completely unnecessary spend but nicer looking video makes me happy :)

This year RL could not meet demand on he HD2 early in the season so don’t expect any deals/availability come spring.

@alias23 racelogic on the Mac was not great a couple of years ago. Not sure if it’s the same now but you should download and play with the software first. The configuration really didn’t work however that’s not an issue now as it can all be done via iPad/Phone so all you need to check is that Circuit Tools works OK. 

Video and data are separate files. This is good you can play the video raw. The software handles working with both so no problems then being split. You are completely unaware. 

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
18 minutes ago, LF1 said:

The racelogic has can input and overlay. Some of the guys use it when they have engine issues to see what’s going on. I’ve simply not bothered to use it because it’s against our regulations and like I say you really can see what you need from the analytics with regards to brake and throttle, particularly when you overlay an instructor’s lap data. 

I suspect for a bit of fun on track days then any of the systems will be more than adequate. We all like a good gadget and if you can afford it go for the one that takes your fancy. I think the Aim stuff is great for fuss free high quality video and telemetry info and is a tidy package especially if you want decent in car info. Don’t overlook the Garmin VIRB stuff, with a bit of faffing in their software you can do some cracking visuals (I’ve used the Virb 360 to do just that), it’s just no that useful as a training tool. 

Unless your on the pace you’ll get more from being in the car with a decent instructor. Also being driven by the instructor really helps get a feel for what the car can do. Chasing instructor laps time however is not advised and usually ends up in the barriers :)

I really went round the houses but in the end all the incar info I want is predictive timing in a big clear display and good tools for analysis. I bought the HD2 for the fancy rendering after using the Lite for a few years... completely unnecessary spend but nicer looking video makes me happy :)

This year RL could not meet demand on he HD2 early in the season so don’t expect any deals/availability come spring.

@alias23 racelogic on the Mac was not great a couple of years ago. Not sure if it’s the same now but you should download and play with the software first. The configuration really didn’t work however that’s not an issue now as it can all be done via iPad/Phone so all you need to check is that Circuit Tools works OK. 

Video and data are separate files. This is good you can play the video raw. The software handles working with both so no problems then being split. You are completely unaware. 

Do you use the OLED display linked to the HD2 VBOX ?

Can you explain or show us how do you physically install the devices inside your car ?

18 minutes ago, geartox said:

Do you use the OLED display linked to the HD2 VBOX ?

Can you explain or show us how do you physically install the devices inside your car ?

The OLED is the whole point of it, you can see it on the dash in all my videos. I'll say that on track days you will be pulled up for having it running if you are seen so just put it on the speed setting rather than the lap timing information (data remains the same).

It's really not rocket science. Lots of cable ties, velcro and the mounts that come with the kit for the cameras. Plug into the 12v in the Lotus. If you have a roll cage then there are special mounts to attach the cameras to that. Otherwise you just use the suction mounts. Nothing other than the power plugs into the car so you just put stuff where you want it, most likely car dependent.

Here's the setup in the lotus:

VBOX Setup.png

• Like 1

thanks a lot for sharing your experience :thumbup:

6 hours ago, alias23 said:

So for both the AIM and RaceLogic users this is my simple requirements please let me know if available:

- Must be super easy to have video and data as one file. I just can’t be dealing with a video and data file and needing any faffing with sync. Needs to be plug and play.

- Side by side lap/video/data comparison

- Pick all the best split times and replay back so you can stitch together (in your head) what’s the optimal lap.

- MacBook compatible software 

I’m certain this is all achievable with RaceLogic but is it with AIM and if so with which setup?

Imran, can't speak to RaceLogic, but Aim is easy.   No need to sync data with video … done automatically.  You create a template to your liking, put it on the camera and all videos will have whatever data you chose to display on the video.

Do a track session, pop out the SD card and view your video with the data on there.  The camera will start recording automatically … you determine whether it's tied to your car starting up or a certain speed or a certain amount of G's.  Camera will stop recording automatically also after a  specified time, which you pick.  Lap times are recorded automatically also … just load up the tracks to the Solo and the SmartyCam that you will be running (a detailed list of supported tracks can be found on AiM's GPS Manager which is free also) and when you cross the S/F line your lap time will be recorded on the video and displayed on the SoloDL  mounted in your cockpit.  If a particular track is not in AiM's library, you can manually set the start finish line on the Solo.

Hook up is easy … camera attaches to roll bar with roll bar mount and Solo to the windshield (if you like) using a suction cup both types of mounts are available from Ram Mount … many different options are available …. www.rammount.com

The least expensive AiM data logger/timer that will tie into a SmartyCam seamlessly would be the SoloDL with the OBD2 bridge.  The bridge supplies power to the camera and Solo DL. Everything is plug and play and can literally  be installed in less than 10 minutes and removed quicker.  The SoloDL connected to the ECU via the OBD2 connector  will pull data directly from the ECU based upon the Aim drivers available on line for the car….you simply configure the DL and activate the channels you want to log and/or display on the video. And, if you want to add a few of your own sensors like oil temp, oil pressure, gearbox temp, etc…..that can be done as well.  

All in for the basic setup, SoloDL, SmartyCam GP (bullet-cam) HD camera, ram mounts for Camera and SoloDL unit would be ~ US $200O.  If you went with additional sensors to monitor engine parameters, not otherwise available through the ECU, that would cost extra for the sensors and for your shop's labor to install the sensors.

As for the AiM software which is free, a PC is required.  I use my MAC with a PC parallel system --- no issues.  Video can be displayed using multiple codecs …. I view mine on my MAC through the QuickTime Player

Below is a screen shot from one of my videos when I was using a SoloDL and SmartyCamHD, before I went with the AiM MXS dash and added a host of additional sensors….. the template for the data shown on the video is one of at least 50 you can chose.  

Hope this helps.

SoloDL screen shot.png

• Like 2

8 hours ago, geartox said:

Even if this document has been written to sell products, you can find some interesting feedback about driving.

Because finally the objective is to improve driving skills, improve the basics, know the concepts... specifically for a beginner like me, it could be interesting to share some books about this topic.

In french I recommend this book "Conduire, piloter : Toutes les techniques sur route et en compétition" from Jean Michel fabre.

waiting for your feedback. I have contacted racelogic support for many questions. I think I will buy HD2 + laptimer (same as yours) configuration beginning of next year...

@alias23 has the timer, not the HD2. I think you are talking about the HD2 with the Blue OLED. The blue one is completely unnecessary with the HD2 as it’s just waterproof, we don’t even used them in the Caterhams and we get drenched in them so no need to spend all that extra if it’s going to be in a Lotus. Functionality exactly the same, it’s just the case and button position that differs. 

You can use the laptimer with the HD2. Main advantage for me to take the laptimer instead of a "simple" display (blue of black) is that It can work alone. Could be used in another car without the HD2. This is a interesting use case if we want compare data between cars. 

Believe me. VBox say you can but it doesn’t work and is completely pointless anyway. Why have 2 lap timers running in one car? For the price of the lap timer you could get as second OLED and another camera for the second car and just swap the box around - this is what I do and it’s a far better solution.

We have spent a lot of time with VBox at tracks testing this all season. They are heavily involved sponsoring our series and we have a lot of access to them and their prototype kit. 

Not forgetting that VBox generally give the OLED away when you buy the VBox at the Motorsport show in January. 

ok thank you.

I will select the black OLED then. I have asked them if they have something new in the roadmap (something replacing the HD2?), they say no.

Also I have asked which OS platform is recommend for CT ? they answered Windows.

Do you connect an intercom on the audio input (to get also the comments of the coach for example) ?

In theory you cloud plug a feed into the audio input. But I can’t really see the point. The benefit comes from when you are on your own in the car the instructor will overlay their data with yours, that’s where the instructor/telemetry comes into play. I never go out with an instructor, if I use one at all we only use data. 

However when I started out it’s the opposite, telemetry is meaningless until you are within tenths of what is achievable on a given day and car. Until then track time with or without an instructor is all you need.

The HD2 was a long time coming - what are you looking for that you think they may replace it with near future? Most guys still use the Lite (and nothing to do with budget constraints) as that does everything you need - it’s the “all the gear, no idea” brigade that just have to get the HD2. 

• Like 1

New product from aim, the solo 2 : 

http://www.aim-sportline.com/en/products/solo2-solo2dl/index.htm

Finally I have bought a racelogic vbox sport linked to HLT (that I already use since two years) and GoPro cameras (that I already have) - so investment is quite small. The battery management of the cameras is a mess. So I will do permanent cabling in the car to provide power to cameras. I will share my feedback with you in few weeks. 

For the moment I don't want to spent more money for the HD2. And depending of my next car, a TFT dash logger could be interesting.

On 29/11/2017 at 15:49, alias23 said:

Investing in driver improvement for 2018 went timer only for the moment and may look to the full blown system if I find I make real use of the data!6711D2ED-B9E6-4F09-8455-6CAF9B94C336.thumb.jpeg.daea2175ecf14b2591a9aea1d5b93bd3.jpeg

did you get the opportunity to test it ? I am sure that magpie will enjoy it :)

@geartox it’s still to be used on Magpie she’s currently in a state of undress and winter hibernation.

However I did test it out on my R26 Megane which I use as a daily and it worked well. It also looked pretty cool I have to admit light up on the dash!

• Haha 1

Was at Autosport this weekend, and came across this neat bit of kit.

https://cl1.racepak.com/trackday/

Very impressive for the money; 20hz gps, plug the OBDII socket into the box which then bluetooths to your phone to use as the screen, and to record all the data, which can then be shared via cloud. On board batteries which last around 12hrs of use but come with a charger cable. On board G sensors too.

Will very likely be ordering one the end of this month. If anyone else is interested might be able to do a group buy. 

Edited by W31SSN
  • Like 2

thank you for the link and feedback.

For those interested: I came close to ordering the Racepak CL1, however after speaking to them directly it appears the OBD ECU bridge is still a work in progress, which is a little annoying. 

Instead I will likely purchase the new AIM Solo 2, which at £570 all in works out roughly the same as the Racepak.  A friend has been using the Solo 1 for a while in his Viper ACR and highly recommends it.

https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/lap-timers/aim-motorsport-solo-2-dl-gps-lap-timer-with-ecu-input

• Like 1

Aim products seem to be very competitive. I will test my racelogic gps in one month.

About to pull the plug on a laptimer I've had AIM solo before and there faultless, i see the AIM solo 2 is out now but can anyone point me in direction of which cable i need to order OBD ll or RPM cable or rs32 cable not really after all the data its the time that counts for me??

14 hours ago, Turbo911 said:

About to pull the plug on a laptimer I've had AIM solo before and there faultless, i see the AIM solo 2 is out now but can anyone point me in direction of which cable i need to order OBD ll or RPM cable or rs32 cable not really after all the data its the time that counts for me??

The OBD cable is by far the easiest, just jam it into the port under the steering wheel and it will take RPM etc.