free hit
counters
Gearbox removal advice - Page 2 - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Glyn Harper

Gearbox removal advice

2 hours ago, Glyn Harper said:

So, next job is to remove the flywheel, but I don’t have a socket for the bolts. It’s a fraction bigger than a 17mm socket so I assume some imperial size. Any idea what actual size it is so I can get the right socket?

Pretty sure they're 17mm Glyn, though I used a 6 point impact socket for a snug fit.

2 hours ago, Glyn Harper said:

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Did a load of googling and can't find anyone listing what the actual bolts are. Loads of people selling them though. A 17mm definitely seems just too tight to go on. So yeah, after a bit more googling, I also found that 11/16" is probably the next size up so I've ordered an impact socket that size. Dreading getting them out actually, I can just see one snapping off or something. :(

Main thing is to make absolutely sure you keep pressure on the socket, ensuring it sits square on  the bolt head while you're undoing it. Screw a bellhousing bolt into the block up near the starter, hold a long pry bar stuffed into the teeth of the ring gear against it to lock it in against the direction of travel. Use a 1/2" torque wrench, or 18" - 2' breaker bar to break the hold from the Loctite. Once they've cracked, the problem is solved.

Same procedure putting them back in, but you'll need to torque them up to 75Nm.

Thanks, I do have a long 1/2" pry bar so I'll try that along with locking the flywheel. I was going to try and use an air impact wrench I have, but I doubt it would break the hold anyway so I'll use the breaker bar.

I've seen some people number the bolts and mark the flywheel so the same bolt goes into the same holes. Is that necessary you think?

Felt around inside the void where the spigot bearing goes, and there isn't much room behind the actual bearing face so I'm not sure the bread trick will work to remove it, but I'm going to give it a go. I'm going to wet the bread with WD40 though rather than water, so I don't get any corrosion issues!! :)

Really appreciate all the help chaps.

I wouldn't use an impact wrench, and you don't need to mark the bolts. It's best to remove all the old locking compound from the bolts and the crank flange hole threads, a tap will do that.

On 12/6/2017 at 07:03, Chillidoggy said:

Use a 1/2" torque wrench, or 18" - 2' breaker bar to break the hold from the Loctite.

As a Snapon tool dealer, please never, ever, use a torque wrench as a breaker bar. Once you do, you will screw up the spring mechanism inside and it will need recalibrated or throw it away. You won't be able to trust it. Just because it's long doesn't mean it made for abuse.

6 hours ago, 89esprit said:

As a Snapon tool dealer, please never, ever, use a torque wrench as a breaker bar. Once you do, you will screw up the spring mechanism inside and it will need recalibrated or throw it away. You won't be able to trust it. Just because it's long doesn't mean it made for abuse.

Or you could use a Britool torque wrench that doesn’t break.

• Haha 2

Or a nice bit of 25mm Box section over a Halfords ratchet ?

• Like 1

The flywheel bolts are 110Nm/61lbs/ft.

If you do use a torque wrench, make sure it's wound up beyond that figure for removal. To avoid skinned knuckles and harsh language, don't go mad, just apply steady pressure!

You could use through chassis coolant pipes for leverage..... @Chillidoggy has a set he could lend you, there's absolutely nothing wrong with them apart from a few black and brown dots on the ends that @Sparky dabbed on there with his Sharpie pens, to enable him to spend more time there drinking Ian's gin.:lol:

• Haha 1

Every time I go to Margate, I sabotage something else.  It's the gift that keeps on giving...

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

He often uses the phrase, “Well, bugger me, I’ve never seen that before.”

Are you sure he hasn't been dib-dabbing around that crankshaft oil seal...??

1 hour ago, Chillidoggy said:

Have you seen him interacting with my lower radius arms? It’s perverted.

Saw it, read the following at your own risk and in the voice of Sir David Attenborough .........

The mating ritual of the Lotus mechanic, a very rare event, and one never before captured on film.....incredible.....usually the Male (the mechanic), will only perform his mating ritual with the female (the Lotus), under the most secret of situations with no other males of the species around and with the garage doors fully closed.....however, under special conditions (several shots of Gin) it would seem that the male can be fooled into performing his ritual and even assuming the Lotus position for all to see, but we still don't know how the male fertilises the female, and I'm not sure that's something that we would ever want to see, as once seen it can never be unseen. :cry:

• Haha 2

When doing the big nut on the bottom of the crank - we used a massive bar and screwdriver arrangement

@Chillidoggyprobably abused @Sparkys tool - both sweating and swearing no doubt 

I've just done this and simply used an old piece of metal work drilled with 2 holes. One flywheel bolt and one bell housing bolt in and worked perfectly.

20171204_121755.jpg