free hit
counters
Exterior Trim - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Has anyone managed to get the Ali trim that goes around the elite re-manufactured. I am about to start a full resto of my 501 and I know I don't have the upper and lower windscreen trim all the other trim might just need a re-polish if I'm lucky.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Andy

You might try lotusbits or ask Bauke here in the forum. Good luck with the resto!

I believe Lotusbits are getting new upper & lower windscreen trims manufactured. Otherwise they do have a stock of used aluminium trim.

The aluminium trim on the Elite is anodised. In order to restore it then you will need to get it straightened, polished then re-anodised. When I restored my Elite I found suppliers in the Sandhurst area who did this for me. The trim mustn't be pitted or badly scratched as surface imperfections will show through unless they can be polished out.

Let me know if you want the details of the suppliers I used, as I had a bit of a disaster using one industrial anodiser who ruined one set of trim - it came out cloudy rather than bright.

Good luck, Richard

• Like 1

I had the anodising from my trim stripped and just polished. Anodising diminishes the shine so I will lacquer it with brass lacquer to keep the worst of the weather off - not that it will see much. The top and bottom windscreen trims are very flimsy and polishing has to be done once fitted. Re-fitting is not helped by the lack of trim clip availability. Although I have brought and fitted new clips from SJ sportscars they don't work right and my trim is not sitting flush with the screen and now the windscreen is bonded in my only option is to cut the bottom of the T off and glue it in place. 

I hear that the trim tends to detach itself at speed anyway.