free hit
counters
Lumbar support - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Solstice

Lumbar support

I've got a knackered lower back and need to drive with extra lumbar support, am using a cushion at the moment, but would like to incorporate something into the seat. Some years back I had a 968 and was able to push an inflatable bladder (recaro  I think) behind the backrest cushion. I've tugged the cushion in mine and it moves a bit, before I make the mistake of giving it a good pull, can anybody advise how it is fixed to the seat?

thanks

Gareth

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Gareth

I bought a Morfit lumber support and can recommend it. For me it works really well as it molds to the shape of your lower back.

I use it all the time now in my Sport 350.  

I fitted inflatable lumbar supports you can get from demon tweeks.

My older Lotus built car had them and it seems the Exige seats were also designed to have them as the seat mouldings were the same.

The seat cover is just glued so once off, to refit use a good  glue . When peeled off you could put the bladder where best suits you but to be honest there is the position they were designed to go in. You then drill one hole for the inflation pipe to come through and make a small bracket for the pump.

I also took the opportunity of adding an extra 1cm of good solid foam over all the seat area though gel layers can also be used.

An professional interior guy put them in for me but it was pretty simple. I used just the single cell version of the inflatable support.

https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Product.do;jsessionid=d72ab33a966d3da9bb5fb7483179?method=view&n=1762&g=783820&p=783823&d=124&c=4&l=2&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Seat Accessories&gclid=CKuOkofd39ICFQIL0wodvbsO6g

Edited by MARTIN_S

The inflatable lumbar support is a great solution.

But you can get it a lot cheaper by just buying a blood pressure measuring sleeve and installing this. Cost me 15€.

On 21/11/2017 at 07:21, MARTIN_S said:

I fitted inflatable lumbar supports you can get from demon tweeks.

My older Lotus built car had them and it seems the Exige seats were also designed to have them as the seat mouldings were the same.

The seat cover is just glued so once off, to refit use a good  glue . When peeled off you could put the bladder where best suits you but to be honest there is the position they were designed to go in. You then drill one hole for the inflation pipe to come through and make a small bracket for the pump.

I also took the opportunity of adding an extra 1cm of good solid foam over all the seat area though gel layers can also be used.

An professional interior guy put them in for me but it was pretty simple. I used just the single cell version of the inflatable support.

https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Product.do;jsessionid=d72ab33a966d3da9bb5fb7483179?method=view&n=1762&g=783820&p=783823&d=124&c=4&l=2&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Seat Accessories&gclid=CKuOkofd39ICFQIL0wodvbsO6g

Thanks, ordered one of these.

I'll be interested to see how you get on. I'm fine, but my wife uses a lumbar cushion in the passenger seat

When I did mine I overthought where it should go but the slot for the piping is already moulded in so its obvious and that worked out the best place for me.

If your doing that work, its a good time to add an extra layer of foam while your at it. You need something not too thick but has some spring so foam sheeting isn't much use as it just flattens, gel sheets are great if you can get them the right size but we found a very good alternative which may sound odd but worked well.

We got a high quality carpet underlay. Its 1cm thick which is about the most you can use, a good density that wont flatten over time and fire proof! All for just £12 a square metre.

Martin S