free hit
counters
Castle Combe This Year - 50th of the Type 50 - Classic Elan - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
trw999

Castle Combe This Year - 50th of the Type 50

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Gutted to have missed this event as was hoping to find a decent one for sale there 

15 hours ago, trw999 said:

This year marks the 50th anniversary of the introduction of the Type 50 Elan +2

At Castle Combe in May there was a good turnout of +2s, in fact I counted just over 50, appropriately enough. The parade laps at lunch time offered a chance for the owners of all +2s to show off their pride and joy. I took a video of them all lining up and turning onto the track, here:

Never seen so many, what was the blue one, towards the end, that didn't have popup headlights? 

That Jon was the owners interpretation of what he wanted. I spoke to him and he did all the work himself, impressively. He liked it so who am I to argue with him!

Here is a shot of a very clean engine compartment, from a Sprint there that day. Spot the missing item!

Tim

IMG_5981.JPG

Edited by trw999
  • Like 2

On 22/11/2017 at 11:47, trw999 said:

Here is a shot of a very clean engine compartment, from a Sprint there that day. Spot the missing item!

I assume the cooling fan is in front of the rad & I can't see the generator, otherwise I give up. :wub:

The generator is there, but the wire retainer for the oil filler cap is missing - just a small item I know, but I get my anorak out for the Sprint!

Also, since the radio suppression plate at the rear of the engine is in place, the other plate that fitted over the length of the spark plug well should be in place.

Tim

Edited by trw999

22 minutes ago, trw999 said:

Also, since the radio suppression plate at the rear of the engine is in place, the other plate that fitted over the length of the spark plug well should be in place.

Yes, there was an aluminium plate fitted to my Europa Special, I wondered what it was for & yes you get the award for geek of the year. :hrhr:

Radio supression was an option I believe... along with the radio.

Nothing changes ;)

Avery tidy engine bay.

cheers

Mark

It was indeed an option. Annotated as RSK on Works Order sheets.

A separate book was kept by the factory with details of which radio was fitted to which car for the later Elans.

Tim