free hit
counters
Belt configuration - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
soldave

Belt configuration

As part of the timing belt removal process, I pulled the V belt and power steering belt but spotted something which looked a little strange. Take a look and let me know what you think.

So I originally had power steering and air conditionning on the car, although these days there is no a/c pump in there. I've got a few diagrams below which are for a 912 engine, but will help me explain. Out of the four diagrams, I'm guessing my config should resemble the bottom right, but without the crankshaft-a/c compressor belt.

Capture.GIF.85a73c9f83e1761f5fa935d0a10e1fda.GIF

However, what I found was this belt in red instead. So we have a belt going around the crankshaft, then around that small pulley which would be used for the a/c belt, before going up to the alternator (shown in red below). I'm guessing the correct configuration will match the diagram above, but could there have been any side effects of running the belt across this smaller pulley while it's been on my car? Hope I'm making sense here - if not let me know and I'll try to explain better.

Capture2.GIF.de9c760f00d0d478a8b947b648f04018.GIF

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Dave, last twice the belts were replaced ( just before you bought her) they were changed like for like. So she has been like that for 13/14 years including prior to when I bought her.

• Like 1

Mr Walsh Gold Member! 

• Haha 1

Doesnt really matter as long as it works to be fair.

like the gold @johnpwalsh ?

Yeah I know - I thought the Scots were tighter than a Yorkshire man.

he even dropped a quid at Brands a couple of years ago - it hit the poor chap on the back of the head when he went to pick it up

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johnpwalsh said:

Hi Dave, last twice the belts were replaced ( just before you bought her) they were changed like for like. So she has been like that for 13/14 years including prior to when I bought her.

Thanks for that John. The belts look in pretty good condition too so will leave them as they are until next time I think. Every little saving helps (we Yorkshire folk are not too dissimilar from you Scots ;) ). Did you get a replacement by searching by length and width when you replaced?

Liking the gold too :)

Hi Dave, I took the belts to a local motor factors and had them measured to get correct length. Any goo parts store will do that service for you.

9 hours ago, Dan E said:

Hold on @johnpwalsh is gold 

he even dropped a quid at Brands a couple of years ago - it hit the poor chap on the back of the head when he went to pick it up.

:stuart:

You guys down South of the border are slow on the take up.

Simple arithmetic for me.

CoP which I was going to get for the S3 Turbo anyway.

Valet kit and a quality one at that, which again I m always buying.

Equates to free Gold membership for me, and of course discounted for the following year. No brainer. 

• Like 1

My belt configuration looks nothing like any of the pictures... Although I don't have air con I have a small belt that goes only between the crankshaft pulley and the power steering pump!

13 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

he even dropped a quid at Brands a couple of years ago - it hit the poor chap on the back of the head when he went to pick it up

Were you walking behind me looking for the change again. :sofa:

• Haha 1

Maybe one the reasons is, that unfortunately Steve doesn't supply the right belt for this at least for my S22. It is to long. I have now 3 of them in my parts bin :rolleyes: