free hit
counters
Radiator refill - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
cbclotus

Radiator refill

ok guys  .Do any of you use distilled water for your cooling system .My car was using ther red oats anti freeze .I am going to use blue anti freeze or do I just use tap water with anti freeze .Mike

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Water works great when used in conjunction with the correct antifreeze

If you haven't done it, make sure you have thoughly flused all the old coolant out. Mixing types can cause a build up of sludge which can block the cooling system.

Distilled water isn't expensive and would be fine if you wanted to use it in conjunction with any antifreeze. De-ionized would be better though.

:) 

^^^ Yeah barry, but some folks feel that distilled H2O would be less harmful to the cooling system over time because tap water can include minerals and stuff. :o

Distilled water is certainly cheap enough to use as a flush.

PS: The only Blue coolant I know of in the USA is Honda TypeII OEM, but it only is sold pre-mixed.  It IS good stuff tho'...my daily driver's rad passages don't have any 'crust' on them at all (unlike my Esprit).

Thanks .Told red is for newer engines .Agree there have been problems using it on cars filled before with red .engine has been flushed ..New rad going in ....Mike All I know is I need a glycol based anti freeze ...

OAT is better, use that. It doesn't corrode the engine cooling system as much as blue so doesn't need to be changed so often and as posted above, de-ionised water is best. 

That said, you could look at Evans Waterless Coolant - http://www.evanscoolants.co.uk/ - that lasts forever. 

• Thanks 1

I'm sure there will be endless hours of internet nonsense on this, but I thought OAT isn't safe with soldered brass parts, which you will still find here & there on an older Lotus, which I assume why its not recommended by the manufacturors for 'classics'?

I'm now using distilled water with Redline Water Wetter.

On 29/11/2017 at 12:16, 910Esprit said:

I'm sure there will be endless hours of internet nonsense on this, but I thought OAT isn't safe with soldered brass parts, which you will still find here & there on an older Lotus, which I assume why its not recommended by the manufacturors for 'classics'?

Correct, OAT will not protect the rad or heater core which are both brass in the Esprit. The old blue stuff is best.

That's what I was told .ok on new engines .but not on older ones that have used blue or green .All the old hoses had a lot of crud from the red stuff .got blue in there now with de ionised water .Thanks Mike

On 11/29/2017 at 01:20, Bibs said:

OAT is better, use that. It doesn't corrode the engine cooling system as much as blue so doesn't need to be changed so often and as posted above, de-ionised water is best. 

That said, you could look at Evans Waterless Coolant - http://www.evanscoolants.co.uk/ - that lasts forever. 

Thanks for passing on the evans coolant idea.   I am just starting bringing my 86 Turbo Exprit out of a deep sleep.  Needs a good once through the entire cooling system.  Evans looks like the right stuff to finish it off with.