free hit
counters
Exige 350 boot lid - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Noticed yesterday the finish on part 38 on my car is blebbing up , raised pimples ! . Is this a painted part ? must add this to the list of warranty work I need get done 5a1ff2513feb8_Exigerear.gif.0512474ef6ab79655183d456852e1564.gif

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I assume it is painted with the same 'soft touch' matt black paint used to paint the other matt black panels (originally an interior paint, so I hear). I have noticed the spoiler on my Cup that is painted with the stuff has some micro-pimples that I was never bothered about enough to chase with Lotus. I don't know if this is similar to your issue in that yours have developed over time.  Perhaps some water has got underneath and is blistering.

if its grp and left out in very cold weather, any moisture not quite removed during manufacturing of the part comes out to the surface under the paint..  known as  micro blister.

if its more bubling than tiny micro pimples its more likely bewtween prep / pain & coats

Ok thanks . Yes it's blebbing  like the s2 exige doors used too . 

I am seriously thinking of baling out on this car . Great to drive looks the part but build quality is pants . 

1 year old 

1) new clutch 

2) loose seat runners 

3) windscreen surround needs changing 

4) gear shift parts loose 

5) crap stereo 

6) limp mode although only once but undiagnosed 

all in 4,600 miles :-( 

moan moan moan , I just expected more from new car when bought last year . When I eventually book in for warranty who knows how long car will be in ! 

On a plus point , someone stole one of my pics online and my car is now the face of the Exige on Wikipedia lol 

Edited by marklawson77

If you’d like to swap your rear hatch for a proper glass one let me know - alternatively if they do swap yours under warranty I’ll give you a few bob for your old louvered hatch ;)

On 01/12/2017 at 01:40, marklawson77 said:

Ok thanks . Yes it's blebbing  like the s2 exige doors used too . 

I am seriously thinking of baling out on this car . Great to drive looks the part but build quality is pants . 

1 year old 

1) new clutch 

2) loose seat runners 

3) windscreen surround needs changing 

4) gear shift parts loose 

5) crap stereo 

6) limp mode although only once but undiagnosed 

all in 4,600 miles :-( 

moan moan moan , I just expected more from new car when bought last year . When I eventually book in for warranty who knows how long car will be in ! 

On a plus point , someone stole one of my pics online and my car is now the face of the Exige on Wikipedia lol 

I wish I’d had that few problems. It’s just a test of character. If you want a girls car maybe a new MX5 is more for you? ?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mark030358 said:

Sorry @GFWilliams but i’m with @marklawson77 on this. shite QC for such an expensive car.

cheers

You bought a new one at close to twice the price I paid for mine, yet same build quality.   I must say, the quality of the new 430 did feel like a nice improvement.

57 minutes ago, GFWilliams said:

You bought a new one at close to twice the price I paid for mine, yet same build quality.

@GFWilliams Yes,same $hite build quality on an £80K car too. Same issues, windscreen surround (approved but I haven't had it fitted yet), seat runner, loose gear mechanism (fixed myself). New clutch circa 300 miles on my brand new V6S. Its pretty poor. Think I'd have thrown a fit with micro blisters...

cheers

My windscreen surround is in with Hoffman’s at the moment to be done.

the edging looked part Matt part shiny in a mottled way. Is yours the same?

Clam is off as we speak.

had a few heatshield issues with them coming loose and making noise when changing down into second but other than that my car has been good.

hofmanns managed to solve my seat runner issues - I did moan a lot - don’t know what they ended up doing to them but 2000 miles since and all fine. Solid even. And I have moved the seat back and forward a few times due to dropping stuff behind. 

I also took the chance whilst it was in to get my steering wheel redone to 430 Alcantara spec with a yellow 12 o clock.

hope you get it sorted, its frustrating but stick with it. 

ETA - on the stereo search on here, I put the upgraded focal fronts with a pioneer sub in passenger footwell and its very good. All done for £350 which is way cheaper than the upgrade stereo options on most car makes! 

Edited by BatMobile

My windscreen surround was a bit loose and turned out to be not glued down properly and dealer has said new windscreen required to fix. Not arrange yet but will get there in the spring. The surface of it is fine though.

I'm sure many would be interested in how Hoffmans fixed your runners,. me included. :)

Handbrake needs adjusted.

Only done 2k miles so far so maybe more to discover yet.

Such a shame I think I will hang on to my S2 in 20k miles had a new radiator when the plastic header split well known about and a new battery that's all and its 10 years old.

Really if Lotus is going to charge Porsche money then the build quality does need to be better hope you all get some resolution because me moving on to an S3 ( maybe a 350 ) is clouded by others experiences which is a shame.   

@philcool In fairness my problems aren't something i moan about in the real world but on here as others bring it up, it causes you to also share so you are getting a tainted/biased view; for all those who have issues, i know of many who have none.

My car was brand new and as i am fussy, I have sent it back to get the smallest thing sorted and now its perfect. I like my cars to be in A1 condition and have no qualms in sending it back over and over till its done to my standards.  The issues i had were very minor and more the dealer not getting it right than lotus themselves. For example they are fixing the same heat shield for the third time which has come loose. 

If you get a car that is second hand you should get one that is sorted. i guess the lesson is to review the history of the car with the dealer that sold and serviced it. If its only had minor things sorted and its squeak free and smooth to drive then you will be fine.

a 350 is arguably in a league of its own for the money and after GFWilliams review it seems the 430 is now fixed of the common issues the other models seem to have so a 350 to 430 down the line should see you problem free. If i had spent 380 money i would probably be less impressed. 

@Sharky Call Martin Pitt at Hoffmans and ask him, lovely guy and as i say they told me all the 350/380s they had rocked, when i said i don't care it shouldn't move they sorted it for me and it is perfect now. I am sure they will either share what they did or if you can take the car to them, resolve it for you.  I am now 2000 miles later and it doesnt move at all despite numerous movements of the seat; if it ever does free up they will be having it back to be sorted again now i know it can be done so don't accept it "as is".

• Like 1

Thanks batmobile that does put a better take on things will keep an eye out in case something catches my eye ?