free hit
counters
Exige S3 loose drivers seat thread - Page 3 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

This is the UK Peter - it might be slightly different here. But I wish you the very best! I'm looking to buy a new Exige Sport 380 and would love this issue fixed by the time I get round to buying.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Somebody is watching me (has visited my profile) on Linkedin :????

Got these delivered from Lotus HQ yesterday. Some kind of springs that will hold the seat better. They will be mounted in April, so you have to wait for review ;-)

Just had the seat inserts fitted under warranty, massive, massive difference... rock solid now, here’s hoping it stays that way 👍

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, stephenwhyte said:

Dare I say a gently positioned petition (ok that's maybe a bit forceful to get a positive result......but maybe a list of owners with the problem) and send it by email to the CEO.......surely there would be a positive reaction with a practical solution in response?

I'd be up for this. BUT, I havent given them a chance to fic it. When I bought my car I checked every Exige and Elise in the showroom and the amount of free movement was incredible. None were solid. Anyway, as I said, I need to give them a chance to resolve the issue. Appears they have had a go on the new 112K Evora, so why not an 80K Exige? 

cheers

• Thanks 1

While you have a very valid point, and I'm not defending anyone here, but they are different seats with a different issue in a different car. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

11 minutes ago, stephenwhyte said:

This is the UK Peter - it might be slightly different here. But I wish you the very best! I'm looking to buy a new Exige Sport 380 and would love this issue fixed by the time I get round to buying.

Thanks. 

I think UK in general is extremely service minded. Been to UK many many times and always happy with service.

Only problem I see now is 1 right email adress 2 is he on holiday 3 will he just forward the mail to the guy I have already mailed with many times.

If no reply or reaction I will go for the COO.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Bibs said:

While you have a very valid point, and I'm not defending anyone here, but they are different seats with a different issue in a different car. 

Yes, thats as may be. But don't they have an obligation to fix a sub-standard part that affects many many cars and has done for years with a bit of design and expenditure? Anyway, as I said, they  have not had a chance to rectify the problem yet and until that happens I can't say too much. If they can't, well, thats another story and we will see where that leads. I was really pi$$ed off with my first new V6 which had the complete back end removed after a few hundred miles, so to get another "known" problem on another new cars is pants TBH

cheers

Mark

I agree, but what I'm saying is that just because it has been fixed on one car, doesn't mean it's easy to fix on another. If it was easy, or indeed fixable, you'd had thought they'd have done it by now. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

6 minutes ago, stephenwhyte said:

Everything is fixable - it might mean a change of parts used, but everything is fixable

100% Agree with this, statement just takes effort and commitment. Porsche fixed their crap engines didn't they?

Anyway, the dealer I use is absolutley spot on and I have every confidence they will fix it. Until then I'll say no more.

Still think its a great car, great brand and I'll always have one.

thanks

• Thanks 1

I'm just guessing but maybe there isn't a runner available small enough to fit that doesn't deform and cause this issue. It seems like an easy fix, and if it were I'm sure they would have done it rather than pay all the warranty replacements only for it to reoccur... 

Evora NA

Does the same problem occur in the Evora 410? Interestingly when I sat in that car I noticed the drivers seat was positioned on a flat plane i.e. no tilt, whereas in the Exige the same seat felt slightly tilted and more comfortable as a result.......is this partly the reason for the problem in the Exige?

No, not really. It's a tiny amount, even when it's enough to feel quite disconcerting. The bolts and mounting points in the chassis would fail at much lower loads than the runners.

In reality, it is in fact an irritation, rather than a safety issue.

46 minutes ago, MartynB said:

No, not really. It's a tiny amount, even when it's enough to feel quite disconcerting. The bolts and mounting points in the chassis would fail at much lower loads than the runners.

100% a safety issue.

I have driven 500 laps on the Ring (in other cars). A little loose seat could mean disaster.

2 hours ago, MartynB said:

I'm afraid I agree with this. I have a tiny amount of movement that's more noticeable at the moment due to having new brake pads, it's annoying but have decided that I can live with it until my next service, which will be just before the warranty expires...

Totally agree with those that say the seat runners are sub standard and should be replaced.  I had emails flying between dealer and Lotus direct to complain about seat in my V6S which felt like I was in a rocking chair in traffic.  As stated in another thread the dealer replaced twice and each one was as bad as the other.  

The only fix was for me to change bolts to clamp runners in fixed position. Not ideal, but seeing as I was the only driver, the only downside was not being able to slide seat forward to use space behind seat sometimes.  However with bolts in place it was rock solid  

So in summary your dealers will not be able to fix the problem with current runners. They are not up to the job.  You may be lucky and get one that allows less movement, but it's a lottery and will probably still become loose over time  

Silly thing is I looked at design and I'm sure a plastic insert could be designed to fit to runners to take up the slack and resolve the problem. Anyone who is good with CAD and a 3D printer could probably knock something up for the end of each runner, and sell these to existing owners. 

Edited by DJW

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. Mailed with them quite a few times now.

Summary;

1. They are definitely aware of the problem (even if they do not write it directly). I have said many times that almost all owners complain.

2. They will not change anything in the manufacturing process since that requires a new "certificate". Which is chocking. 

3. They apologise a lot, but a the same time they emphasise that the runners "meet all legal safety requirements". They do not know anything about drivers safety and car control.

4. They are helpful and listen to me. Which of course is good.

5. They will send me new runners that they promise will be a lot better.

For me this is mainly a safety issue. Of course quality as well, but even more safety.

As I have said to you before, I have driven 500 laps on the Nurburgring in different race and sports cars. I know quite a lot about safety. I have seen many crashes and even fatal accidents with people lying bleeding on the track. 

The safety issue is, as I said, about car control and "feeling" (which I have told them). Many of the older instructors and race drivers at the Nurburgring say that you should "drive with you ass", meaning that you get a feeling from the car from the bottom of the seat.

Please be polite if you mail them, aggression will not lead anywhere. I have not been aggressive in the mails to them.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

Got new runners installed. A huge improvement.  Not perfect, but acceptable. At the same time I tested all cars at the dealer (Elise / Exige). All were really bad. 

I am still in contact with Lotus. And will update them if anything happens. They are helpful.

• 1 month later...

Update...

1k service and some warranty work.

Runner replaced, no squeaks at all so well pleased, slight movement but nowhere as much as before, time will tell. Top marks Oakmere and to Andy, top technician.

Also fitted some Dynamat on the rear bulkhead, along with carpets; bulkhead and under seats, much quieter, much better and a stowage net too ?

Cheers

Mark

IMG_4137.JPG

Did you pay anything for the updates/work carried out at Oakmere Mark, or was it all carried out under warranty..........apart from the net? The more I think about it it's more than likely you had to pay for the additional sound-proofing......buy hey I like surprises?:o Here's to hoping the runner replacement is a long term fixB-)

Hi Stephen,

I didnt spec the carpet when I bought the car (school boy error)  so I ordered it. Seats had to come out to replace the runner so an ideal time to do the carpet.

cheers