free hit
counters
Famous Elan Owners - Page 2 - Classic Elan - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
trw999

Famous Elan Owners

Who me a plus 2 ...........never 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
10 hours ago, Andrew1 said:

I am pretty certain I own the ex-Jim Crawford Lotus Elan S4, delivered new to Sports Tune Motors in Longniddry, Scotland.

Lotus factory records say Jim Crawford.

Late 1968 delivery. Still matching numbers. Under restoration now in Australia.

Did he race it??

Drilled (for lock wire) and drilled brake caliper bolts, drilled sump plug, plus uprated shocks/suspension?

I would love to know any UK history.

UK then Zambia by early 1980s. Go figure!

Andrew M

Australia

Welcome to TLF Andrew. :welcome:

Some photos of your car would be good. Maybe an entry in the Restorations area?

You should duck over to the Introductions area and say hi in there as well.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

On 06/10/2018 at 16:49, Andrew1 said:

Any history of Jim Crawford racing an Elan in the UK.

From - http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/free-parking-f45/elans-owned-the-famous-t17559-30.html

Jim Crawford drove a Lagoon Blue over White Sprint; he raced in F1 for Team Lotus briefly before an untimely demise.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Thanks indeed for the info. This car was definitely met Blue (Lagoon?) at some point but it is a late 1968 normal S4 RHD with knock ons.

Perhaps it was painted like a Sprint? Or are we possibly talking different cars?

The Blue looked like it might just be closer to Ecurie Ecosse. Coincidental or not as Sports Tune Motors was located close by?

Any chance there are any images of the Jim Crawford with the car referred to? Did he race it or just road it?

This car has drilled bolts in callipers for lock wire, a wired sump plug, anti-surge hammer-head modified sump, period adjustable race spax.

Was about 7-8 colours in about 10-12 years so I was thinking was probably raced? Lotus says sold new to J.Crawford so that bit is not much in question.

BTW Jim also raced Indianapolis a few times, came 6th. Died of natural causes despite serious race injuries earlier.

Regards

Andrew 

Australia

Also own :

1998 Lotus Elise 190R S1 (delivered as factory carbon fibre),1998 ex-UK race Elise S1 (ex- Stephen Oliver 750MC, AMOC, BRSCC ), 1988 Caterham BDR, 1968 Alfa Romeo GTA Junior, 1970 Alfa Romeo Junior Zagato, 1964 Morris Mini Cooper, 1970 Datsun 240Z.

On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 16:49, Andrew1 said:

Any history of Jim Crawford racing an Elan in the UK.

Andrew, I am unable to find any evidence, after a quick look. He had three races in a Lotus 72, crashed twice and finished 13th in the other! He seemed to have more luck racing a Chevron or March. He didn't start racing F1 until 1975, though may have been on the club circuit before then. Elans in unmodified form were not really competitive by then, though they did well in Modsports, of course.

If you can track down a copy of "Jim Crawford: The Life of a Modest Racing Hero" by Kevin Guthrie you may get more info. It was privately published a year or two ago. Guthrie himself may be a good source for you to speak with.

Tim

Tim,  thanks for your efforts to try and turn up information. I do appreciate your interest.

This Elan may have just been a road car or one with enthusiast modification rather than a full race car

I will see if I can locate the book.

Andrew