free hit
counters
Excel SE how many left? - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Peter Taylor

Excel SE how many left?

I recently saw figures reportedly from the UK MOT stating that 240 excels were registered and of that figure 140 were on the road the rest were SORN.

NB to my knowledge there are two se in Oz one of which is mine and the only one not stuffed around with.

Considering there is no break up of models in these figures ie 160bhp -183bhp SE. it may be that 50% are SE giving a total of well lets say 130 [ allowing for south paws in Europe ] .

AS we all know this model has the HC 912 arguably the pinnacle of 900 series engines tho add ons achieve more neddies.

The body likewise,and all wonderful Toyota bits eg W58 box ,drive train,brakes etc, and who would not prefer to be chasing those Toyota parts as against Lotus bits?

With incredible handling and great styling ! ONE must ask why are they so bloody cheap? when there are obviously so few examples left.

If i could afford them i would buy them all and await the awakening for they have to be the greatest over looked car ever, and a very good investment.

Conclusion Buy one and hang on !!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

A lot of Excels were registered as an Eclat - my MY89 Excel SE is an Eclat on it's V5.

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/lotus_eclat#!manufacture

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/lotus_eclat_excel#!manufacture

Chris

I have also a BMW '3 coupe with M suspention and fat tires, nice in the corners but it can't cope with the Excel.

And don't forget the sweet gearbox.

I see the Excel as something very special, the most people don't know what it is.

But look at the prices here in Europe, it's going up.

Here fine example:

Lotus Excel'89 mijn groen zvr bl-800.jpg

Esprits are now 30K plus and so market attention turns to other Lotus wedge poppy uppy lampy cars with 900 series engines.  The best Excel may now be worth 10K, and maybe very good Eclats and Elites are getting there.  These cars were giveaways only a few years ago. 

On 01/12/2017 at 23:03, ChrisJ said:

A lot of Excels were registered as an Eclat - my MY89 Excel SE is an Eclat on it's V5.

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/lotus_eclat#!manufacture

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/lotus_eclat_excel#!manufacture

Chris

I am not sure but I think that all Excels show as Eclats, allegedly because Lotus was too stingy to pay for a new type approval!   I cannot recall what my 1990 Excel had on its V5.  My 1984 Excel was an Eclat on its V5.

My 87 Excel was an Eclat Excel

The problem with the excel is the back end. The esprit looks spot on all round, the excel looks like they ran out of cash at the B pillars and got the YTS boy to finish it off.   7 ish years ago I sold a really nice SE excel for £4K and bought an X180 esprit for £4k that needed a total rebuild.   Good though it was I wouldn't have spent what I did on the esprit on the excel as at no point did it stir my nether regions like the esprit.

• Like 1

You can not compare an Excel with an Esprit that's a whole other thing. But they are extreem rare now. (LHD)

And prices are rising. I have seen € 10k and very good ones € 25k.

Oh you break my heart!!

Yes beauty is in the eye of the beholder, this design Type  was very common among Italian greats, of or about the time, and these do have an Italian input Guigiaro.

Now NOT wishing to cast aspersion on any other model have you ever tried to work on an mid engine car?

Having said that, the Esprit is a great looker and agree its an icon, however the Eclat/ Excel as stated correctly [Chris] has that little extra to make it one of the best GTs ever. The boot,room generally, better mechanical arrangement {work wise] and the same 50/50 balance and attitude,acceleration, top speed etc .

And in my opinion handles just as well.

So ok now what?   is it just that, personal taste?

Again I ask why so cheap?

Cheers Peter

Ps. why can you not compare the Eclat/Excel with the Esprit?  Jean.

Mines an on road resto yet to complete.

lotus nsw.JPG

Lotuspic1.JPG

On 03/12/2017 at 17:32, mdw said:

The problem with the excel is the back end. The esprit looks spot on all round, the excel looks like they ran out of cash at the B pillars and got the YTS boy to finish it off.   7 ish years ago I sold a really nice SE excel for £4K and bought an X180 esprit for £4k that needed a total rebuild.   Good though it was I wouldn't have spent what I did on the esprit on the excel as at no point did it stir my nether regions like the esprit.

I think the YTS boy also positioned the ignition switch. Frustrates me every time...but a flawed masterpiece is still a masterpiece :-)

20170610_192820.thumb.jpg.e0db7ec829709ac0228441ac9cabbb85.jpg

The Excel very closely follows the design of the Eclat, the Eclat was a very small development budget (Kimber's father can confirm that), it basically took an Elite and swapped the rear windows so that what was the bottom (the narrow part) is placed near the top. o it was more of an engineering designed car than a stylist designed car.

On 04/12/2017 at 00:44, Peter Taylor said:

Oh you break my heart!!

Yes beauty is in the eye of the beholder, this design Type  was very common among Italian greats, of or about the time, and these do have an Italian input Guigiaro.

Now NOT wishing to cast aspersion on any other model have you ever tried to work on an mid engine car?

Having said that, the Esprit is a great looker and agree its an icon, however the Eclat/ Excel as stated correctly [Chris] has that little extra to make it one of the best GTs ever. The boot,room generally, better mechanical arrangement {work wise] and the same 50/50 balance and attitude,acceleration, top speed etc .

And in my opinion handles just as well.

So ok now what?   is it just that, personal taste?

Again I ask why so cheap?

Cheers Peter

Ps. why can you not compare the Eclat/Excel with the Esprit?  Jean.

Mines an on road resto yet to complete.

lotus nsw.JPG

Lotuspic1.JPG

Thought you might be interested in your sister car on the right 

Weston 2015 2.JPG

Wow fantastic how about as much info as possible ie when,where,who etc public or private .

Many thanks very interesting.

Jean no offense taken just wanted to know your reasons. Your car looks great!

Yes Richard, too right I put the key in before I crawl/slip/fold myself in lol.

A question dose anyone know of a  parts list that cross references lotus Eclat/Excel with Toyota? I have found a lot myself but if there is one it would save a lot of trouble and expense as against the parts sold by retail trade as they inflate prices beyond the joke. eg I purchased the clutch slave cylinder complete inc post for $26au about 12 quid some suppliers prices are 40+ quid + post to au.

Now if there isn't one how about we get together and publish what we all know and contribute to a library PLEASE correct me if im wrong or ill informed.

Cheers Peter.

On 04/12/2017 at 23:33, andydclements said:

The Excel very closely follows the design of the Eclat, the Eclat was a very small development budget (Kimber's father can confirm that), it basically took an Elite and swapped the rear windows so that what was the bottom (the narrow part) is placed near the top. o it was more of an engineering designed car than a stylist designed car.

Oliver Winterbottom actually designed both the Elite and Eclat. They were parallel projects - the Eclat was not, as some suggest, an attempt to counter  resistance in some markets to the Elite styling, but intended to provide a more sporting model in the range. He relates that he designed the rear end of the Eclat with a slightly recessed bootlid and rear panel inside a chrome fluted surround, but when he got back from a lengthy business trip found that they had modified it to be flat without his approval! Design drawings (and I think there was also a prototype made) show that the original recessed approach gave the car far more delicacy at the rear.

Also, although there is a family resemblance between the Elite/Eclat and the Esprit, only the Esprit was designed by Guigiaro. The only input he had to the Elite/Eclat was to design the interior, which is more or less carried over to the early Eclat Excel.

ATB Richard