free hit
counters
“I bought an Audi” - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I never actually compared the R8 RWS with the GT430, not the same target audience as the GT430 wasn't even a consideration for me, it is aimed at cars like the Porsche GT3. I wanted the R8 for the NA

Oops sorry totally forgot. Was having too much fun in it ? It's an Audi R8 V10 RWS (Rear Wheel Series). 540bhp to the rear wheels, 50kg lighter than Quattro models and limited to 999 cars globall

Congrats.  Looks a nice car. One of my Mate’s wives owns an R8 V10 in black and she loves it.

Posted Images

The man has a point.  My top 3 reasons not to consider a Lotus at the moment:

1) No dealer in my area (inexcusable given the major market I live in)

2) Built quality: nothing major seems to break on a Lotus, but likely to have minor issues.  Not dealing with any issues at the price of an Evora without dealer support (See No. 1)

3) Long wait times for parts

think audi missed a trick here..

could  have been audi r8 V10 RWS  (rear wheel steer le man special edition) 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, plenty said:

FTFY

?

3 hours ago, NW76 said:

Not my kind of car... even my AC Schnitzer M4 is at least as fast as it (I had one just recently fall victim to my M4 on the Autobahn - he almost killed himself will trying to get rid of me in his review mirror .... and I am pretty sure he sold it afterwards, because it couldnt even get rid of a simple BMW ;-) )  ... moreover, I must agree it looks pretty boring AND it drives as boring as it looks like...   

Not the criteria by which I decide on the purchase of my cars. In an age of turbo charging the V10 is hard to beat for sheer drama and the noise it makes is so intoxicating. Not quite sure how you can claim it drives as boring as it looks without having driven the RWS.

1 hour ago, 21gg said:

Not my cup of tea but a very nice car all the same, and at least you got the rwd! 

Enjoy!

If it wasn't RWD it wouldn't have been a consideration. My criteria for my Evora replacement had to have at least 2 of the 3 following boxes ticked:

1. RWD

2. Normally Aspirated Engine

3. Manual Transmission 

The V10 RWS covers point 1 and 2 and in this case the engine makes up for the lack of manual transmission. 

2 hours ago, Advantage said:

That looks really nice. 540bhp naV10 RWD in a striking bodyshape. What's not to like? :thumbup:

My thoughts exactly ?

2 hours ago, plenty said:

Curious as to whether folks who dismiss an R8 also feel the same about a Lambo Huracan.

Probably, it is a Lotus forum after all ?

So you started a Hairdressing shop ? Always fancied a big Audi TT myself...........nah, I'm lying :devil:

Not my cuppa but definately a .....erm...... red car! Nice.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Saj, please don't take the teasing to heart.  I'm sure it's just good-natured banter.

The RWD iteration of the R8 is arguably the pick of the bunch (if all the reviews I've read are true) - and that V10 is regularly touted to be one of the great modern engines.

I've ridden shotgun in an R8 "plus" version and the noise makes up for pretty much anything!

I'm sure you'll enjoy it and would love to hear how you get on with it after you've had a chance to get some miles under your belt.  I'd also be intrigued to hear what you miss from your Evora.

Enjoy!

• Gold FFM
19 hours ago, plenty said:

No need to defend yourself or your choices, Saj - the reaction to your new car was entirely predictable.

Yep. Heaven forbid @plenty that on a Lotus forum a preference may be shared for err, Lotus!  Wow, how gobsmackingly contrite of me.

I know @Saj quite well and we have a lot of banter online and face to face. I'd be surprised if he expected any other form of reaction especially from me as he knows I'm not an Audi fan.

I've congratulated him on his choice elsewhere and the fact he has gone for a red +0 rwd car shows he is maturing into a nice young man.

The engine is epic. That I agree. The sound is epic. That I agree. And I also agree that right now it is stupendous choice of car for Saj and I'm dead pleased HE is chuffed with it. The key thing is knowing Saj I know he will drive it to the max and it will not be a garage queen. So total respect for that too.

However, to me, personally, it is a TT on steroids and looks too similar inside and out. Yes, you can also say the same about the Elise and Exige where the Exige really does now need a new interior as the price climbs to ever higher heights.

Parts availability? I get it. But then as Audi is second bottom to BMW on the 2017 JD power car reliability table then greater dealer coverage and parts availability is essential. :harhar:

It's a great car like the Nissan GTR is a great car. And like the Nissan GTR it is just not for me. 

The GT430 beats it by 10bhp per tonne and so given the similar money, the GT430 is 15 times rarer, and the GT430 is a lotus I woukd have gone there and to be honest the R8 would not have been on my RADAR.  But that's a good thing as choice is good for us drivers whichever way we choose.

As for the Huracan. Hmmmm. It's an R8 with a different body is one way to look at it. But it is a Lamborghini so that may sway it. But then maybe not. I'd find it hard to see past a Maclaren MP4. But now we are getting into a whole different ball game re running costs etc.

Anyway. Just my point of view. Sorry if i have offended anyone.:sofa:

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

15 hours ago, saj said:

?

Not the criteria by which I decide on the purchase of my cars. In an age of turbo charging the V10 is hard to beat for sheer drama and the noise it makes is so intoxicating. Not quite sure how you can claim it drives as boring as it looks without having driven the RWS.

Probably, it is a Lotus forum after all ?

Exactly, what did you expect ;-) ... its a great car - in particular as a RWD ... I have driven the V10 as an AWD and its not a bad car either ;-) ... now enjoy your N/A V10 and be quiet ??

2 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Yep. Heaven forbid @plenty that on a Lotus forum a preference may be shared for err, Lotus!  Wow, how gobsmackingly contrite of me.

Nothing wrong with a preference for Lotus, but the instant and outright rejection of alternatives based on superficial criteria such as "it looks like a TT" is crushingly ironic - given the prevailing sentiment in these parts that too many people dismiss Lotus for superficial reasons.

Edited by plenty
  • Like 1
  • Gold FFM

Andy, read our first comment at the top of the page and thought. Oh, Andy is being very quiet on this one, it being an Audi and all. Well you didn't let me down as I scrolled through the comments. As for choice of car. It does look smart Saj and I am equally sure that in a few years once Geely have made the promised improvements that you will come back to the fold and have another Lotus. But for now enjoy her and look forward to the day when you return. Rev Limits, here it comes.

Interesting that people are focusing on superficial stuff like the R8 looks like a tarted up TT on the outside (which is nonsense) and looks like a TT and the inside (to my eye, they are identical inside) and overlooking a key consideration: weight.  The R8 in V10 guise in particular is a relatively heavy car at around 3800 lbs.  Would have thought that R8’s weight would be the first thing that people would raise as a criticism on a Lotus forum.

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, Ccd said:

Interesting that people are focusing on superficial stuff like the R8 looks like a tarted up TT on the outside (which is nonsense) and looks like a TT and the inside (to my eye, they are identical inside) and overlooking a key consideration: weight.  The R8 in V10 guise in particular is a relatively heavy car at around 3800 lbs.  Would have thought that R8’s weight would be the first thing that people would raise as a criticism on a Lotus forum.

If you look at my earlier posts i mention the weight, the power, the bhp per tonne figures and how they compare to the GT430.  Non of that is superficial stuff. Who needs logic when you use facts?   And who has never bought a sports car, a toy, and not been influenced by the superficial stuff? I should have stated how many cupholders each had too to ensure I kept to facts.  lol. This is a funny thread....

3 hours ago, plenty said:

Nothing wrong with a preference for Lotus, but the instant and outright rejection of alternatives based on superficial criteria such as "it looks like a TT" is crushingly ironic - given the prevailing sentiment in these parts that too many people dismiss Lotus for superficial reasons.

You missed my facts bit too i guess - so here you go...

The 2017 Audi R8 V10 RWS is 1590kg in weight. 198 mph top speed and 0-62mph in 3.7seconds - 335bhp per ton.

The GT430 is 1258kg in weight. 190 mph top speed and 0-62mph in 3.6seconds - 345bhp per ton.

When you look at the raw figures, I cannot help but feel Lotus is punching weigh, weigh (sic), above its weight when you consider size of companies, scale of companies, revenues of companies etc.

As I have said. it is a great car for Saj and I really am pleased for him. Just not for me.

You guys are funny, you really are. Just because i don't agree with you that the R8 is super yummy and swoon all over it I'm a superficial git who doesn't appreciate cars. Ho hum. I don't actually care what you think to be honest. I know what i like, that's all. 

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

7 hours ago, Kimbers said:

So you started a Hairdressing shop ? Always fancied a big Audi TT myself...........nah, I'm lying :devil:

Not my cuppa but definately a .....erm...... red car! Nice.

I sure did and I've started raking it in - how else was I going to pay for the car.

6 hours ago, DaveC72 said:

Saj, please don't take the teasing to heart.  I'm sure it's just good-natured banter.

The RWD iteration of the R8 is arguably the pick of the bunch (if all the reviews I've read are true) - and that V10 is regularly touted to be one of the great modern engines.

I've ridden shotgun in an R8 "plus" version and the noise makes up for pretty much anything!

I'm sure you'll enjoy it and would love to hear how you get on with it after you've had a chance to get some miles under your belt.  I'd also be intrigued to hear what you miss from your Evora.

Enjoy!

Awk I wasn't taking anything to heart especially from Andy, we sat down together on more than one occasion having these sorts of conversations. I haven't driven the car enough on a proper A or B road yet to see how much of the Evora I miss. I can say though that steering feel is no match for the Evora but that was something that I knew would be the case and accepted before I purchased the car. As a daily driver on my morning commutes though the benefits of the S-tronic gearbox are fairly apparent. Fuel consumption on my commutes to and from work are roughly the same as the Evora from what I can tell so far, must be due to the cyclinder deactivation as cruising in motorway traffic rarely sees the power guage going over 10%.

6 hours ago, C8RKH said:

I know @Saj quite well and we have a lot of banter online and face to face. I'd be surprised if he expected any other form of reaction especially from me as he knows I'm not an Audi fan.

I've congratulated him on his choice elsewhere and the fact he has gone for a red +0 rwd car shows he is maturing into a nice young man.

The engine is epic. That I agree. The sound is epic. That I agree. And I also agree that right now it is stupendous choice of car for Saj and I'm dead pleased HE is chuffed with it. The key thing is knowing Saj I know he will drive it to the max and it will not be a garage queen. So total respect for that too.

However, to me, personally, it is a TT on steroids and looks too similar inside and out. Yes, you can also say the same about the Elise and Exige where the Exige really does now need a new interior as the price climbs to ever higher heights.

Parts availability? I get it. But then as Audi is second bottom to BMW on the 2017 JD power car reliability table then greater dealer coverage and parts availability is essential. :harhar:

It's a great car like the Nissan GTR is a great car. And like the Nissan GTR it is just not for me. 

The GT430 beats it by 10bhp per tonne and so given the similar money, the GT430 is 15 times rarer, and the GT430 is a lotus I woukd have gone there and to be honest the R8 would not have been on my RADAR.  But that's a good thing as choice is good for us drivers whichever way we choose.

As for the Huracan. Hmmmm. It's an R8 with a different body is one way to look at it. But it is a Lamborghini so that may sway it. But then maybe not. I'd find it hard to see past a Maclaren MP4. But now we are getting into a whole different ball game re running costs etc.

Anyway. Just my point of view. Sorry if i have offended anyone.:sofa:

Just so everyone knows Andy secretly loves Audi, he just doesn't want to publicly admit it. He also loves Porsche even more but again won't publicly admit it - only off the record :lol:

You are correct Andy, there is no chance of the car being a garage queen, it will be used as it was designed to be and everyday for that matter in all weather conditions - the winter tyres are on route.

The other potential car for me would have been the new Aston Martin Vantage, that is a lovely looking car, tuned by Matt Becker, RWD and has a manual option coming in 6 months time but again the pull of that NA V10 just couldn't be ignored.

3 hours ago, johnpwalsh said:

Andy, read our first comment at the top of the page and thought. Oh, Andy is being very quiet on this one, it being an Audi and all. Well you didn't let me down as I scrolled through the comments. As for choice of car. It does look smart Saj and I am equally sure that in a few years once Geely have made the promised improvements that you will come back to the fold and have another Lotus. But for now enjoy her and look forward to the day when you return. Rev Limits, here it comes.

It would definitely be good to see Lotus moving up another level with Geely's help. Maybe we'll eventually see the Esprit make a come back in the not too distant future but probably for the next 5 years I'll be making my way around in the R8.

5 hours ago, NW76 said:

Exactly, what did you expect ;-) ... its a great car - in particular as a RWD ... I have driven the V10 as an AWD and its not a bad car either ;-) ... now enjoy your N/A V10 and be quiet ??

:P blame Andy, he asked what the replacement was. He's just a trouble maker.

53 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Just because i don't agree with you that the R8 is super yummy and swoon all over it

You're wrong it is super yummy, lick the paint when you see it in the flesh - I know you'll like it :lol:

Edited by saj
  • Haha 2

@plenty Purely good natured ribbing, believe me. 

@saj I hope you have been practicing your driving techniques.....remember 2 inches to the car in front at 70mph....and....puuussshhhhh.....then the finger as you go by because they held you up for 0.05 of a second.

(I drive a Kia so I can't really complain about your choice of......erm....german.......engineering. (thats a polite as I get about German cars).

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)