free hit
counters
Airbag light oddness - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Seems to be a few tales floating about of the airbag light being a pain and not being able to be reset without the proper Lotus scan tool (which doesn't seem unreasonable given the safety aspect).

Mine (MY2011 S) has come on a couple of times recently but has also gone off again seemingly at random while others have reported that once on, it's on. I wondered about low voltage as the car has sat for a while until I've used it again a fair bit recently but for most of the lay up it was on a trickle charger. I did some research and part of the system along with a connector seems to be located near the bottom of the steering column as it enters the dash. In a mild bit of annoyance I whacked the underside of the steering column shroud (flat of my hand) and hey presto, light went out. So, some sort of slightly iffy connection? I plan to remove the shroud and have a look and hopefully unplug and clean contacts.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

You need the code to get an idea of what's causing it Ben, and a standard OBD reader should be able to do that if it saves a trip to the dealer. 

Ah cool. I thought a normal OBD wouldn't talk to the airbag module at all (although not sure why I thought that). Cool, I'll plug mine in and see what it tells me.

I called the factory and they said it will :) 

Code reader connected nicely (it has live tracking so I could watch it do things so am confident it was talking to the car). No codes though and the light was back on when I was doing this and percussive maintenance didn't do it this time. Shroud off for a quick look tomorrow I think.

Had the shroud off and disconnected, cleaned and replaced the main connector going from the module to the rotating piece. No joy. Next I have to have a muse about whether I dare do the same trying to remove the airbag itself to do similar with the several connections there. The Service manual does suggest most faults emanate from there.