free hit
counters
Behind the rear seats... - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Filbee

Behind the rear seats...

Hi all.

This ia my first post since aquiring my 1980 S1 Elite 501.

I spent a couple of hours this weekend having a good poke around to find out exactly what I've bought! 

Upon removing the rear seats, I was curious to find a separate panel rivited in place in the centre of the rear bulkhead (it looks like it's properly sealed round the edge). I also noticed that the GRP under the rear seats and running up the corners of the rear bulkhead looks rather rough and ready compared to the nice, smooth VARI moulded floors and roof. The GRP skin running down the back of the rear footwell is very flimsy to the point of feeling like it's delaminated where the captive nut the outer rear seat mount.

Sorry for the essay, bit I just wondered if the rough finish under the rear seats is normal! I can't see any signs of damage to the rear so I wondered if it's just because the rear/inside panels moulded separately and glassed in after the two main body halves are stuck together.

Thanks all!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Phil, any pics available. I suspect a hole may have been cut to allow for adjustment of the handbrake brake but a photograph of the location would confirm. This is fairly common though.In saying that I am no expert on Elite floor pans., but I'm sure someone will come along and tell you for sure.

Thanks John. I'll get a picture later this week, but the separate panel is pretty much the main part of the vertical rear bulkhead, and the way it looks like it's rivited and sealed suggests it's not designed to be removed in a hurry.

There aren't any cutouts in the seat pan which is where I would guess you'd need them to access the handbrake adjusters.

It will be an access hatch for the handbrake mechanism, or for releasing the pins from the handbrake to allow for the diff to be dropped. Access to this area sucks. If you don't seal up the access hatch properly, you can get water coming in when you drive it off the pier into the sea.

I definitely need to get a picture! I think the only thing I would be able to access if I removed the panel is the front of the fuel tank. The hole is probably big enough for me to crawl through into the boot :o

the rear bulkhead is smooth and has no holes. Here is a picture of mine (sorry, it's the best I have at the moment) and you can see the rear is smooth.

100_2984.thumb.JPG.f40d01d26c904fa63330af3093aba751.JPG

Hmmm, there's clearly no separate panel in the back of yours!

Maybe my car was used for drug smuggling by one of it's 10 (!) previous owners...:ermm:

I'll see if I can get a picture of it tomorrow.

• Haha 1

Right, I'm going to attempt to post the pictures of this mysterious panel in the back of my Elite.... 

Hopefully in this one you can see the edge of the panel running horizontally across the seat back, and a couple of  rivets on the lower edge. 

20171213_140229.jpg

And in this one, to show how rough the finish is on the seat base section compared to the main floor pan, you might be able to see a couple of white-ish spots towards the outer edge of the bit that kind of supports the bit at the back of your knees when sat in the back.

The lighter coloured patches are where the gel coat (such as it is), has broken through to the GRP mat underneath. And the "well nut" thing that the lower, outer mounting point for the rear seat screws into has pretty much pulled out as the GRP is so thin it feels like I could pull a piece off.

20171213_140250.jpg

I should maybe point out that this is my first plastic car so I'm not sure what to expect really!

1 hour ago, Filbee said:

I should maybe point out that this is my first plastic car so I'm not sure what to expect really!

No rust !

If only :cry:

The body might not have any rust, but the chassis and door beams are making up for it :thumbup:

I recall (I think) someone on here who discovered that the body on their Elite had come apart at the back. I think they suspected it had been in a rear end shunt. I'm fairly sure they used another body from LotusBits. Sorry I can't remember the guys name. There is no need to make a hole in the rear of that size so I suspect the plate is covering some damage?

:) 

I'm hoping to whip the tank out at the weekend so I guess I'll see what's on the other side....

Here's something else that I've discovered...

This picture is of a 1979 shell from eBay. It's a bit difficult to see from this image, but it looks remarkably similar to mine (being a 1980 registered car). The seller states it doesn't appear to have any accident damage. Maybe it was something that only later cars had?? 

s-l400 (1).jpg

Well folks, I've removed the petrol tank for de-rusting, and having pulled off the manky carpets glued all over the rear quarters and had a good look at the back of the panel I mentioned originally, I'm pretty confident that the separate panel is part of the original body construction. The whole bulkhead section behind the rear seats looks to be made up of a number of separate panels rivited, glued and/or glassed into place.

Onward and upwards!