free hit
counters
Elite chassis?? - Wanted - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Filbee

Elite chassis??

Hi folks, 

Does anyone have a type 75 Elite chassis in solid, straight condition  (or even better, galvanised!) they would like to sell?

I have a newly acquired 1980 Elite 501, which looks to have some plates welded to the underside of the rear cross member, so I'm assuming the worst. I'd rather start will a decent chassis that I can prepare before lifting the body than pull the body off the current chassis to find it's rotten.

I've spoken to Lotus Bits but they have no galvanised chassis in stock...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

There was one on ebay I think, but could be wrong.

I think that's the one I've already enquired about - the red car that's partially dismantled?

He says he can't tell what condition it's in because the body is still attached and it's being sold as it is...

Elite chassis for sale in Dorset. Listed on Gumtree.

blob.thumb.png.8f389208d836ef5945b7689635dd0a9f.png

Thanks John, well spotted. I don't go on Gumtree but maybe I should!

Unfortunately it's the same one that's on eBay, the one you mentioned earlier this week. 

He says it's oily at the front and rusty at the back. Just like mine :cry:

I knew of a 1980 State-Side with a galvanized chassis that was for sale from a couple years back. I still have the owner's contact information, along with pictures of the chassis (no idea if he still owns the car).

If you are interested, I can send you all the details.

Many thanks for the lead, but I'm in the UK. I think it would be more effort than it would be worth to try and ship a whole car over just for the chassis.

I might know of another one which I know had  agalvanised chassis. The owner had plans for it, but not too sure if that's going ahead. I will try and find out for you.

Thanks John, you're a gent!

It's very good of you to help me find a decent chassis.

I'm keeping my fingers firmly crossed :thumbup:

11 hours ago, Filbee said:

Thanks John, you're a gent!

It's very good of you to help me find a decent chassis.

I'm keeping my fingers firmly crossed :thumbup:

Sent you PM with contact details. Left me know if I can help out further

John

It is I think good news that good Elite chassis are becoming less available, LB had a few when I bought mine. I hope it means the Elite/Eclat will become a bit more cherished and less dismantled! 

In the meantime I have a good pair of spare cars undercover. :thumbsup::thumbsup:.

If it any good,  I have a complete 1984 Excel galvanized rolling chassis for sale ready to drop an elite body on. I know it would not be original but much easier to maintain with its Toyota bits. Ii am not sure what body mods are required though. its complete with power steering rack and prop shaft plus a set of 5 Elite alloy wheels.

22 hours ago, dave excell said:

If it any good,  I have a complete 1984 Excel galvanized rolling chassis for sale ready to drop an elite body on. I know it would not be original but much easier to maintain with its Toyota bits. Ii am not sure what body mods are required though. its complete with power steering rack and prop shaft plus a set of 5 Elite alloy wheels.

Many thanks Dave,

My intention is to try and restore my Elite to as close to original condition as I can, but if I change my mind I'll get in touch. I'll do a bit of research into what mods to the body are required for future reference. Swapping to an Excel chassis is certainly very tempting!

23 hours ago, Farmer Bob said:

It is I think good news that good Elite chassis are becoming less available, LB had a few when I bought mine. I hope it means the Elite/Eclat will become a bit more cherished and less dismantled! 

In the meantime I have a good pair of spare cars undercover. :thumbsup::thumbsup:.

That lack of good Elite chassis isn't such good news for those of us who want to save another car from the scrapheap :ermm:

It might even lead to salvageable cars being split out for parts because the owner can't find a replacement for a rotten chassis...

In case you come back, Its a complete rolling chassis with suspension. discs. calipers, 3.9 diff and drive shafts + power steering rack. £400-00 including the 5 elite alloy wheels. My Excel SE is now fully trimmed and almost ready for the road so I must cut down my spares. 

13 hours ago, Filbee said:

My intention is to try and restore my Elite to as close to original condition as I can.

Good man!

Whilst people are free to do as they wish, I found the cars to be very different in "feel" and whilst an excel rear end needs less maintenance, it would be a shame if every committed restoration resulted in excel running gear. Some nice examples of the elite and eclat should be preserved as there are pro's to the older design as well as cons.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dunc said:

Good man!

Whilst people are free to do as they wish, I found the cars to be very different in "feel" and whilst an excel rear end needs less maintenance, it would be a shame if every committed restoration resulted in excel running gear. Some nice examples of the elite and eclat should be preserved as there are pro's to the older design as well as cons.

Agreed. I was persuaded to do my chassis swap partly on the basis of parts availability, and partly on the basis of driveshaft issues. I'd be intrigued to know if driveshaft components are now available that at least partly overcome the original issues - or were these overblown? After all the car is 40 years old so it would be surprising were there no issues.

Probably the opposite, in that some of the UJ's available nowdays seem to be garbage with the older GKN ones being the "goodies". The ones on mine seem okay however, and are subjected to a hard life. (Will need doing soon though I think)

I think it is more that the cars are used less nowdays than when they were current?

Does anyone on here have an elite or eclat that sees 10K miles a year? Doing UJ's every 10K miles probably equates to every 5 years for 90% of the elites and eclats out there.

19 hours ago, dave excell said:

In case you come back, Its a complete rolling chassis with suspension. discs. calipers, 3.9 diff and drive shafts + power steering rack. £400-00 including the 5 elite alloy wheels. My Excel SE is now fully trimmed and almost ready for the road so I must cut down my spares. 

Dave. Do you have an ignition switch for the Excel. I would be interested if you have one.

I shipped the last remaining Excel parts I had  to Don.Hasi which included the instruments, switches window mechs., alternator + some trim. but no ignition switch. I got one new at the time from Paul Mattey and would be with the steering column. I cant remember selling it so I will have a look in the garage loft over Christmas.

23 hours ago, Filbee said:

That lack of good Elite chassis isn't such good news for those of us who want to save another car from the scrapheap :ermm:

It might even lead to salvageable cars being split out for parts because the owner can't find a replacement for a rotten chassis...

Sorry if I upset, I have an original chasis that requires some welding on the rear crossmember, is solid upfront but has had a repair in the past, probably some photos on my rebuild thread. Free to anybody who wants to come and collect. 

• Like 1

Hi Paul. If no one else needs it i would be interested for my 1978 Elite 504.

Regards Clive

Hi Clive f it a rolling chassis good con  you can have it if you can collect it I am in Barnsley