free hit
counters
Air intake hose - where does it go? - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
soldave

Air intake hose - where does it go?

OK, sounds like a silly question but do bear with me. I've got the stock air intake hose, trumpet for the end and airbox for my Eclat, but I'm wondering where the air intake hose sits at the front of the engine bay. Right now it's just hanging below one of the radiator hoses, and I could zip tie it there to keep it secure. Otherwise it's just free to flop around a little.

How should it be secured within the engine bay? Have tried to look at some photos but can't see for sure where it goes.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

An Excel has a piano wire loop off the rad cowl which holds the hose in place just behind the rad.  They become brittle with age and usually snap off.

• Like 1

Thanks for that. In that case zipties may be the best solution :) 

Hi Dave, there should be a fibreglass deflector that goes across the engine bay between the rad and engine  which is moulded to take the induction hose it has a metal u clamp that bolts to it which holds the end of the pipe and finisher. I have got a couple of these from memory at my dads house, if I get a chance I can get one and photograph it for you if you would like.

regards Dan

• Thanks 1

Ahhhh, I think I've seen SJS selling these fibreglass deflectors, although I'm not sure about the u clamp that the hose would bolt to.

Do the panels just bolt in somewhere behind the radiator? Trying to visualise how it would sit.

Just make sure you get the right one. Mine was missing but I was lucky to pick one up with a load of other stuff for peanuts. Check out @mikeeech thread as I'm pretty sure he has a bit about it on there - the top rad hose is different on variants and has a cut out in different places.

Hi Dave, I think you are right looks like the central cutout one would be the correct one. I'll try and get the photo of the bracket that holds the induction trunking to it at the weekend although if you think of a rainwater pipe clip in metal, this is probably the best way I can describe it

regards Dan

• Like 1

Hi Dave on another note. I was having a clearout the other day and came across a large piece of cloth that would have come from the restoration of Bananana. If you want it give me a shout once the Christmas postal rush is past and I will send it down to you.

• Thanks 1

On 14/12/2017 at 21:41, eclat22 said:

Hi Dave, I think you are right looks like the central cutout one would be the correct one. I'll try and get the photo of the bracket that holds the induction trunking to it at the weekend although if you think of a rainwater pipe clip in metal, this is probably the best way I can describe it

regards Dan

Thanks. I think I can imagine how it would attach. Do you know how the panel is actually secured in the engine bay - is it bolts to either side?

On 15/12/2017 at 10:12, johnpwalsh said:

Hi Dave on another note. I was having a clearout the other day and came across a large piece of cloth that would have come from the restoration of Bananana. If you want it give me a shout once the Christmas postal rush is past and I will send it down to you.

That would be awesome. Will let you know once we're into the new year.

• Like 1

Hi Dave, it bolts in with two bolts either side roughly in line with the bonnet pivot bolts from memory. I think that there are two holes in the inner wing on both sides

The induction hose goes the engine side not the rad side. The 4th image shows drivers side where the wiring loom fixed to the inner wing goes through where it is bolted in place.

hope this helps 

Dan

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

My air duct panel just arrived but I'm still having trouble getting my head around how it should fit (car not with me currently). By the looks of it, the part of the panel that you can see in the picture would go forwards, towards the radiator. But that would leave the bare fibreglass part facing the engine bay which isn't the greatest look in the world. Is my thinking right? If so then I'll primer and spray the otherside satin black.

Happy to be corrected though if my thinking is way off!

5a8e03882edd9_2018-02-2123_21_53.jpg.13e11c2d7dc418b9c217fd1bf4f1a9d2.jpg

Well I got the cooling panel but have no idea how it fits. There's not enough clearance between either the top hose and panel, or between the air intake duct and timing belt area when it's put together. Really strange. Am I doing something hugely wrong in fitting it?

2018-04-07%2012.48.47_zpszfqdaggj.jpg

2018-04-07%2012.49.07_zpsxnmkizfi.jpg

Another pic from the Lotus brochures. If it's angled more horizontally to give the air intake panel more room, the radiator top hose will interfere with it too much. if it's mounted more vertically, the belt area will be interfering with the air intake. Can't work it out...

Dave - just had a look on my Elite - not fitted my replacement panel yet (and don't want to take everything off at the moment!) but you seem to have far more pipe work (at the bottom of the picture on mine). I don't have air con or power steering and I wonder if these cars needed panel mods? If I undid the top hose, it looks as if mine would slot in allowing for the top RH corner of the panel to sit above the rubber ware. Not sure if that is any help. Ant

IMG_5187.thumb.JPG.e1c309b94d67968b2a53238b763dc3fc.JPG

Does anyone actually know why the air intake didn't simply run to the front of the car on the same side as the air box? Did the routing in front of the engine warm the air coming into the carbs? How much difference (if any?) does this make?

37 minutes ago, oilmagnet477 said:

Dave - just had a look on my Elite - not fitted my replacement panel yet (and don't want to take everything off at the moment!) but you seem to have far more pipe work (at the bottom of the picture on mine). I don't have air con or power steering and I wonder if these cars needed panel mods? If I undid the top hose, it looks as if mine would slot in allowing for the top RH corner of the panel to sit above the rubber ware. Not sure if that is any help. Ant

IMG_5187.thumb.JPG.e1c309b94d67968b2a53238b763dc3fc.JPG

Thanks for the thoughts and pic. I think me having power steering affects it (and if A/C was still in there it would be very busy near that intake pipe!). I may have found a solution using the top of the OEM timing belt cover (not fitted the bottom part right now as I'd need to slacked off the power steering pump, and nobody got time for that hassle!). When it's idling the timing belt cover isn't touching the pulleys but will need to check when I'm on the move.

One thing I am pleased with is how it looks. I know I need to reroute the headlamp pod vacuum lines, but it's looking alright.

2018-04-07%2014.24.15-2_zpsvpklu328.jpg

11 minutes ago, oilmagnet477 said:

Does anyone actually know why the air intake didn't simply run to the front of the car on the same side as the air box? Did the routing in front of the engine warm the air coming into the carbs? How much difference (if any?) does this make?

Very good question and one I've no idea about. I've a history of tuning turbo'd cars so for those cold air is everything, but not sure if there's less of an effect with naturally aspirated and warm air going through the carbs. Also, I guess that Lotus didn't care too much for airflow over the engine itself!

Well done - that looks very tidy :)

Further research on the warm air intake seems to indicate that the cooler the better (more dense air) so really not sure why Lotus took this route, it seems to be far more logical to have terminated the air intake much closer to the air box on the other side?

It really is bizarre and goes against logic. There's no ducting or anything of the air towards the intake so the only air it's getting is hot air from the engine area, that doesn't get much airflow. Really do wonder what the idea was with the design of this. Having the intake radiator side of the panel would make so much more sense.

Is the position of the inlet in the engine bay anything to do with ensuring the carbs don’t ice-up in very cold weather? I say this because there doesn’t seem to be any warm air diverter from the exhaust manifold into the inlet from what if can see.

I don't have this problem since I have k&b's fitted but I do like the look of the etc air box. I would have thought a large surface area in front of the radiator would be best to get cold air (more oxygen) and a bit of a ram air effect ala F1 cars of the era

I believe you are right about the best source of cold air flow.

My early Excel had the same hanging down behind the rad moulded hose, but I was a little envious of some later model Excel's that I've seen where Lotus clearly altered the end intake higher and to take a feed direct from fitted air slots which faced in a forward direction.

engine bay excel - Edited.jpg