free hit
counters
Very early dry sump SOLD at French Auction - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
lotuseaters

Very early dry sump SOLD at French Auction

This is as I can tell the earliest dry sump without being an Essex Esprit its chassis number 10947 Sold at a french auction yesterday requiring a rebuild for 13000 Euros .

Chassis number 10946 and 10948 are Essex Esprit's but 10947 is not I had this confirmed by Andy Graham,  this is the only picture I have but I have seen pictures on the forum of it before.

I believe the engine was out and in bits it should make a nice project for someone .

lotus esprit 10947.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Wow, rhd too. Sad that it ever got like that but it would be great to see that restored to its former glory.

If a few from here knew about the auction surely it could have beaten €13k?

12 minutes ago, The Pits said:

If a few from here knew about the auction surely it could have beaten €13k?

Yes probably!

Although there several non-Essex dry sump cars before this. Its by no means the first non-Essex.

My first Esprit was almost identical to this, white dry-sump with Essex stripes and white mirrors although it was on BBS.

58 minutes ago, Andyww said:

Although there several non-Essex dry sump cars before this. Its by no means the first non-Essex.

Maybe not but it would be interesting  to know how many 

1 hour ago, lotuseaters said:

Maybe not but it would be interesting  to know how many 

There are around 14 known about according to the Dry Sump Register.

Yes I was aware of the development and pre-production cars which there was around seven of but not the others .

Makes this a very rare car then .

Now for sale again and someone  is trying to palm it off as the real deal  www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/1354429614.htm?ca=6_s

Indeed ... I hope nobody will buy it at that price, and the comment of the seller is really the dumbest ...

On 14-12-2017 at 12:15, The Pits said:

@Tocus what chassis number is your dry sump again?

951 first ever made Essex spec car after the Essex cars, i think 947 was a pre production car, but it was never ever a real essex!

947 would not have been a pre-production car. Just a normal car. During the Essex run they were also building non-Essex cars. Its a misunderstanding that they produced pre-prod cars, then Essex, then switched to non-Essex. Thats not the case. During the time of the Essex run they built cars in white, copper, yellow and blue which were not Essex. The sales brochures and price lists of the time contained Essex Turbo Esprit and Turbo Esprit.

I’m sure my S4 is an Essex 

• Haha 1

Interesting - 0946 and 0948 were Essex No.22 and 23. As mentioned there were non Essex Blue cars being manufactured during the initial Essex build but this is one of the earliest. Its not a Pre-Prod car Tocus. Wonder how it came to be in France although RHD? 

Also interesting sales pitch in the latest 'Ad - translation - "

There's no more rock n roll than this car, she breathes orgies and cocaine!"

Of which he could buy plenty of with a mark up of plus £30k!!!!!!!!!!

Chancer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just looked at his add, nice one. Supposedly the ONLY one currently for sale in the world, and a genuine Essex at 50,000 EU. Not much of a mark up there then.

I have added it to the Register now, interesting car and nice to add another one as been a while with no more leads. ???

Dave :) 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

I’m sure my S4 is an Essex 

From Essex....or once passed through Essex, sadly doesn’t make your S4 an Essex Barry....even if it is Blue:P

• Haha 2

Well for a non-Essex it does have the cam covers which is a nice touch with roof radio but 1/2 leather.

Looks like the new owner has cleaned it up from the new photos listed. 

From the photos it looks like the duck tail has been blended in and the filler has since cracked. ?

Dave :) 

Apparently this one is not to be confused with the one I posted here in the Essex Thread which I have now subsequently found out it actually one of the Pre-Prod. Eng.Cars - on my Essex list as  - White with Essex Decals - J. French Associates (Type Approved) Originally registered as UK HHV 491W. So there were at least two cars painted White during the initial Essex run.

very interested story, the 1/2 Leather is so strange at that time, my 951 is full leather and also all real Essex cars where full leather,

very interesting story!

Full leather was an extra cost option on non-Essex cars. A while ago someone posted a Lotus price list from 1980 which showed all the options with prices. It was very interesting but unfortunately cant find it now. Anyone have it?