free hit
counters
Very early dry sump SOLD at French Auction - Page 3 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
lotuseaters

Very early dry sump SOLD at French Auction

Is it not an essex then? 

Id say the mirrors are later replacements, but how come the engine has the Essex cam covers? Do you think the owner tried for an Essex lookalike and bought them somewhere secondhand too?

buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Knowing Lotus I would guess they didn’t think they would use all the Essex cam covers they ordered of the planned 100 so they put them on other cars. Lotusman33 bought some at car jumble. 

• Thanks 1

It was build at the same time as the Essex cars on the production line,  You could have the roof system fitted to any turbo car you purchased at the time as an extra,  the same as the comp wheels had been fitted to all early dry sump models at that time.  They only changed to bbs as the comps leaked/owners found them difficult to clean so rumours say !  

No not an Essex car,  If it does not have an Essex production number it was never an Essex car,  you can say it was pre production Essex as many times as you like,  the fact is they are not Essex cars as lotus state. 

As Stuart states,   left over, or simply just fitted because they had some to hand regarding the cam covers :)

A

Just realised.....I bought both my cars in Essex.  Does that count?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

But it’s got a sticker on it - surely it’s real :sofa:

Only here once

On 23/12/2017 at 20:18, nello said:

IIRC correctly The Cockpit stereo along with Wilton carpet, ruched Leather and Sundym glass was the original specification requested by David Thieme. He really wanted the car to reflect the Essex 'expensive-taste' and luxury image....................which was fine until Lotus realised how much it all cost!

According to Mike Kimberley the ruched leather was specified by Guigaro as part of the Turbo design package, along with the body mods. Not sure where the cockpit stereo idea came from. That could have been from David Thieme. I dont recall seeing anywhere that this car has this fitted although it does have the right type of centre console for a roof stereo car.

Biggest issue with this car is the interior being half leather and tatty. Thats one very expensive retrim to do it ruched full leather.

1 hour ago, Andyww said:

Not sure where the cockpit stereo idea came from.

Chapman owned Moonraker Boats at the time, I was under the impression that he got the idea from this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

4 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Buyers probably trying to verify it’s essex status right now. Blatant misrepresentation 

Emailed the seller at beginning of auction that car wasn't a genuine Essex ,replied with"thanks"

• Like 2

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

i wish my car had Essex Cam covers, where can i find them ??!

Surprised this car never had the ruched leather as mine is half leather but still has the puffer jacket style? I assumed all the early Dry Sumps came from the factory this way from all the shots we have building the dry Sump Register.

The L25 paint code on the chassis plate confirmed it was a factory white car and the decals and cam covers were available as Lotus patternised, I picked some covers up at beaulieu around over 20+ years ago to put on my black turbo forgetting about the oil filler so they were discarded to my parents loft, the seller had loads of lotus factory bits and a card board box full of the covers all thrown in unprotected.

I was going to Essex replica my dry sump but all my interest in the car to date is to keep it red/black so come spring time that will be the way forward, can’t help thinking though if painted in Essex colours it would sell faster! I know Mark at Stocks sold his Essex painted (non Essex)cars quickly enough and one was not even a dry sump.....?

Andy is right about the retrim costs as getting the ruched look done properly is mega bucks from all my quotes.?

Dave :)

• Like 1

Do or do not, there is no try! 

Was the cam cover seller a guy who looked a bit like Bill Bailey? If so that was Bernard White. He had a pile of them in his warehouse, along with a complete Essex car and also an Essex Blue partial car on a pallet rack.

Regards the leather the Essex spec on the price list specifies "Ruche stitched fine tone leather" but the option on the non-Essex is simply "Full Leather" or "Leather with cloth Inserts" but of course any customer could order any spec they wanted as they were all built to order.

The interior does seem original as it has the rectangular centre vents which were only fitted to very early cars. Why it has later style door mirrors and mismatched handles is a mystery.

Not sure why you would want to put Essex cam covers on a non Essex car??

Andy I really can’t remember, I was after MK1 RS2000 parts at the time so just picked them up at the end of the day. I remember the box still looked as full as it did in the morning so not much interest at the time, for me it was just using up the last of my spending money on the day. 

I agree with Phil if not in Essex paint then not worth fitting.

Interesting stuff with the leather, my car is full leather with ruched seats just cloth centres like Stephen’s first wet sump, going to get my centres changed if I end up painting it in Spring.

I can confirm the ford Capri brake master is the same as changed mine today, picked that info up from something Andy had posted ages ago so thanks ? 

Dave :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do or do not, there is no try! 

On 29/12/2017 at 10:31, PhilW said:

Just realised.....I bought both my cars in Essex.  Does that count?

So you can keep your car original.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Esprit-Essex-Genuine-Car-Mats/263405414816?hash=item3d542fa9a0:g:1ycAAOSwWkJY85BF

Cause they look so original to me...

buddsy

• Haha 2

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

They were on there a year ago or more

Hi Mark,

Sounds like a lovely car. Your car is considered as a normal dry sump car. Rare car with the comps and roof stereo.  Might be work getting a provenance certificate , this will tell you all the details about your car. 

Look forward to seeing some pictures of it soon ? @LOTUSMAN33 will add it to the register I’m sure! Have you got the chassis number for him.

Ooh would love to see pictures of that wee gem - good luck with the return to the road ?

Only here once

7 hours ago, MarkX said:

It has Red Turbo Esprit decals , are these considered "Essex cars", "Essex Spec" or just dry sump cars. 

You missed one - "Bond car" :thumbsup:

My Esprit was off the road for a good few years. Glad I re-commissioned it when I did. Keep us posted with your progress.

We love pictures here, look forward to seeing them.

Chris

8 minutes ago, ChrisJ said:

You missed one - "Bond car" :thumbsup:

Another category which a suspiciously large number seem to be are "Ex-Chapman Car" :)

But Mark, finding a dry sump which is not on the list is a big event for Esprit nerds, so look forward to the chassis number to see where it fits in the sequence! Also look forward to pictures!

Hi Mark ..As said very rare car .Welcome .look foreward to reading a little more about your car ....Mike

On 11-3-2018 at 00:44, MarkX said:

Hi 

I have a dry sump car which I would like to add to your register.  It has been "stored since 1989" in my garage. I will soon have the time to re-commission it and hopefully return to the road. I believe it to be original (first registered in June 1981), Monaco White, Full Red Leather, Roof Stereo and Compomotives. 

It has Red Turbo Esprit decals , are these considered "Essex cars", "Essex Spec" or just dry sump cars. 

Regards Mark X

waiting for pictures!!! Love to see them!

On 3/12/2018 at 23:46, Tocus said:

waiting for pictures!!! Love to see them!