free hit
counters
Strange Noise - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Strange Noise

Hi all,

Ive got a strange intermittent noise on my GT3 and its driving (no pun intended) nuts.

Its coming from the near side and I cant distinguish if its coming from the front or rear.

It seems to happen after heavy braking then going below 30 mph or going down hill.

I can also feel it through the pedals.

If I brake the noise goes away.

Ive had the wheels off and everything seems in order.

Any ideas?

Apologies for the sound recording - Ill get a better one later.

Mick

noise.mp3

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mick,

Sounds very like your brakes are binding a little. I would give then a good clean up including removing the pads and checking the pistons are not corroded at all. Often an intermittent squeel or howl like this is down to the piston (or sliders on the older calipers) sticking just a bit. poking the brakes then re-seats them for a little while before they eventually start sticking again.

Good luck

Malc Holmes

It sounds like a dinosaur playing roulette!

Assuming it's not that (well you never know!), I'd have to agree with Malc. If it were coming from the front, I'd have thought you'd have felt it through the steering wheel (unless it's not as loud as the recording suggests).

Has it been parked up for a bit with the handbrake on? It's common for the handbrake to bind if it's left on for a while.

Phil

More speed, less haste

Hi all,

Ive got a strange intermittent noise on my GT3 and its driving (no pun intended) nuts.

Its coming from the near side and I cant distinguish if its coming from the front or rear.

It seems to happen after heavy braking then going below 30 mph or going down hill.

I can also feel it through the pedals.

If I brake the noise goes away.

Ive had the wheels off and everything seems in order.

Any ideas?

Apologies for the sound recording - Ill get a better one later.

Mick

The floating calipers maybe stuck or binding. Remove the pads and see if the calipers slide in and out on the float pins. If it does not float or binds, break it free with a rubber mallet and grease up the pins caliper grease until they move freely and smoothly. Check for uneven wear of the pads if this problem has been around fro a while.

Update

I took the front wheels off and spun the disks - no binding.

(noticed a screw sticking in one of the tyres )

I took the pads out and cleaned the crap in the calipers.

I then checked to see if the pistons moved - no problem.

I put the pads back in (making sure they slide) and then applied the brakes then retried spinning the disks

no problem.

I done the same with the rears - the calipers also moved no problem.

I then took the car for a spin around the block and ...... the noise is still there - bugger.

Mick

PS - I got the tyre fixed asap

I'm hearing a subtle ghostly moan - thats the same noise my car is making intermitently. I've got vibration in the steering wheel tho and the sound comes when I'm turning a few degrees off center.

I've just had S4s calipers fitted up front and was told the pads would take some time to bed in....

• 2 months later...

Hi,

formatc, I've listened to you noise and it sounds very similar to the noise I'm getting. I'm having exactly the same problem as you that I can't pin point what could be causing it. I also have a GT3, I've posted in here asking the same question under droning noise thread. Mine doesn't do it all the time, but is very regular now doing it and can be very loud sometimes when it does do it. It has something to do with the brakes as it stops when I apply them. Some have suggested the accumulator, but I don't think it is this, I hear this when I first start the car but then no more. It bugs me even more as I was a motor technician for 17 years, so I should be able to sort it, but it's proving to be a difficult one.

Like you I'm having a problem locating the noise source, find this and I can cure it, I don't know if it's front or rear, it just fills the cabin space. I thought wheel bearings, but it doesn't sound like them. Wondered if it could have been power steering, low on fluid, but I've check this and it's alright, also no juddering from steering. I don't think it's pads as the guy had just fitted new ones before buying the car and it never made any noises when I first had the car. The hand brake is neveron for more than a couple of days at a time, and I can push the car when it's released so the shoes are coming off. I had a mechanic friend have a listen and he thinks vaccum, some valve making a noise, when the brakes are applied this takes the vaccum away from the affending noise maker, I just don't know.

I really wat to sort this one, it's the worse noise in the car and with it being so loud people must wonder whats up with it when you drive past them.

Owen.

I will post as soon as I've found the problem!

Checked the undertray ?

Sounds like it's resonating, failing that you might have a bolt come loose.

I had this insane noise in my pas door once going vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr and when me and the old geeza had toiled over it for some time we found out it was the push/pull rods in the door shell - when the frequency is right at spot on 3000rpm the thing used to hum like a top becuase that was it's resonance.

1 small cable tie later and it was gawn.

When you brake remember the weight shift to the front - this can seem like the brakes are the problem but not always - many vibration issues go when you accelerate or brake, or even corner.

Best thing to do is to employ a listener and get them to hang their head out the window etc, thankfully you should have no end of volounteers ! :yes

facebook = [email protected]

Hi,

This is definitely something to do with braking or affected by braking, I've driven the car down the road and left foot braked rapidly on and off and the sound just keeps going on and off with my braking. Steering, I've been down the road swerving side to side rapidly, nothing changes the noise. It does it everytime I go out now, not all the time and not always at one speed or RPM, also at different pitches the noise will be.

This is a tough one! :)

Owen.

Edited by OwenGT3

It sounds like a dry bearing to me. If you use the brakes, it loads the bearing. Under no load, they can vibrate and make a noise similar to this (though it is a muffled recording). Have you checked for play in the bearings. Jack the corner up, grab the wheel top and bottom and rock it. Is there any movement? Turn the wheel slowly, does it feel rough?

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."

- Mario Andretti

Hi,

I've only had my car two months, it had a new MOT, so bearings should have been spotted if they were worn. I may have to strip the fronts, but I don't think it's wheel bearings. I've had wheel bearing go on a car before and they are more of a drone that increases and decreases with speed, and it's there all the time. this noise isn't there all the time, a lot of the time, but not all the time.

Owen

Hi,

Well I've spent a lot of time tonight trying to find this strange noise I have with the car. I had a mate along as well to have an extra pair of ears to listen for the sound. I had to drive for a while before the noise appeared, but once it did, it was there all the time. To aid listening for the sound I took along my video camera and used this as a listening device. We had a clip mic and headphones to listen for the sound in different parts of the car, but what was great was you could also hear all the other things in the car working. We started with the mic in the boot and you could hear the gear selection working, also the vaccum pump working and of course the engine, but no strange noise.

We then moved the mic to the front of the car under the bonnet. I attached it to one of the brake pipes. My mate did most of the listening for the sound, but I had a little listen and could hear the accumulator working, also the cooling fans cutting in. We could hear the sound more from the front of the car than the back now.

One test I did was to left foot brake while driving still, warming up the discs and pads, and by doing this we did find that the noise was louder.

My conclusion from all this tonight is that the noise that I knew was brake related may be the fronts not binding, but possibly vibrating, especially once the brakes are warm. I'm going to strip the fronts the weekend and service the brakes, hopefully the vibration will stop. I wonder if the pads have been replaced and not had any copper slip grease applied, so they are dry in the calipers? We will see.

Owen.

Edited by OwenGT3

Take the calipers off and see if the pads are free - check LEW for an article I wrote on the shim guides that were distorted on mine by corrosion on the caliper underneath them, this caused mine to squeel - might help.

One way to test is to use the hand brake or a downshift to see if the problem really does lie in the front brakes, don't doubt your findings just that I've seen people chase problems in cars before like this only to find it's a weight shift issue where the car dips under braking and allows something to come loose etc.

Luckily the brakes on the later cars are dead simple to work on, once you work it out taking them on and off is a 15min job.

facebook = [email protected]

I agree with the binding.

This could be your problem....

As you brake, brake dust accumulates on the surface of the calipers and being very fine, gets into the area around the piston and the rubber seal (looks like a ring of corrosion) and the on the ends of the the float pins. Although no reaction takes place between grease and breakedust, or brakefluid and brakedust, the solvent in both grease and brake fluid slowly evaporates over time leaving a hard residue of brake dust that effectively has been baked by the further braking of the car. Can be worse under heavy braking as the heat causes a small amount of expansion in the piston making it to big to retract passed the corrosion. This is one of the most common problems on the Probe Forum and is listed in their faqs. The brakes are Mazda admitidly but a lots of the components are shared with other manufacturers.

Hi,

Well I spent quite a bit of time on the car Saturday doing several jobs. The main one was sorting this noise out, which I hope will have gone away, don't know as I haven't road tested the car yet. I stripped the all the brakes, starting with the front. As I thought, they have been put together without any lubrication, so thats not going to help matters. I found one of the pads sticking on one side of the disc on the drivers side as it was a little tight in the caliper, so that could possible be some of the problem. I cleaned everything up, removed rust from the edge of the discs, also chipped off rust from the suspension, generally gave the whole area a service and check. ;)

Once I had cleaned the calipers I cleaned the pads and sanded the paint from the edges, to free up the sticking, applied copper-slip grease on edges and back of pad then refitted. Cleaned anti-vibration springs and refitted pins, job done. Also serviced back brakes, but they weren't as bad as the fronts, just need some copper-slip as these were fitted dry as well. Here are some images of the job.

dscf90651wq2.th.jpgdscf90581zx5.th.jpgdscf90661eh2.th.jpgdscf90601mu3.th.jpgdscf90671qj7.th.jpg

Well I've been on a road test and good news, the noise has gone! ;) Not only has that noise gone, but the creak behind my head has gone as well. :( This noise was coming from the plastic rear window surround, there are some speakers in this trim and it was one of these and the wires. I added some sound deadening pad to the trim to absorb noise, and have taped the wires down.

While I had the wheels off I also cleaned the back of the wheels of brake dust. A good weekend for getting jobs done. :(

Owen