free hit
counters
Discombobulation of Esprit S2 ignition key barrel and lock. - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Discombobulation of Esprit S2 ignition key barrel and lock.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi All, for years I’ve been slowly re-building an early Esprit S2 and have often referred to the freely given knowledge shared on this site for guidance; so I thought as my first newbee post, I would

Welcome Mark and great first post! Good to have you on board

Hi welcome great post.  I had a similar issue on mine but undone the 2 screws holding it on the steering column and bought a second hand "new" one. buddsy

Posted Images

Welcome Mark and great first post! Good to have you on board :)

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Hi welcome great post. 

I had a similar issue on mine but undone the 2 screws holding it on the steering column and bought a second hand "new" one.

buddsy

• Like 1

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

• 2 years later...
On 19/12/2017 at 22:06, Buddsy said:

Hi welcome great post. 

I had a similar issue on mine but undone the 2 screws holding it on the steering column and bought a second hand "new" one.

buddsy

Hi Buddsy - where did you get the second hand steering lock unit - is it the same as on another British car - if so which one

Also wondering how you removed the complete unit - was it in situ? If so the screws are on the top and look difficult to get to with the dash in position

Many thanks Greg

4 hours ago, Gregg88 said:

Hi Buddsy - where did you get the second hand steering lock unit - is it the same as on another British car - if so which one

Also wondering how you removed the complete unit - was it in situ? If so the screws are on the top and look difficult to get to with the dash in position

Many thanks Greg

I think I bought it from Lotusbits if I remember.

All was done in situ. Just undo the two I think.

buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

• 1 month later...

Great Job. Question: What part of the ignition makes the key spring back from crank position? I'm putting my car back together and my key will sit in whatever position I leave it, including crank. 

Also, the actual switch unit area where the lock slots into looks to be a different shape than the D shaped shaft of the lock. 

On 14/01/2021 at 20:29, omegaman said:

Great Job. Question: What part of the ignition makes the key spring back from crank position? I'm putting my car back together and my key will sit in whatever position I leave it, including crank. 

Also, the actual switch unit area where the lock slots into looks to be a different shape than the D shaped shaft of the lock. 

I remember the spring being on the electrical switch side of the ignition. The electrics are quite easy to disassemble so should be reasonable to inspect and repair.

• Like 1