free hit
counters
Changing the clutch, what does it entail? - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Xisthos

Changing the clutch, what does it entail?

Hi Guys, I've been hearing that to change the clutch on our cars, you'll need to remove the clamshell as well as it isn't accessible from the bottom of the car? Also, that you'll need to disassemble practically most of the connections to get to it? I was thinking of upgrading my clutch since I track it fairly often and I was wondering about how big of a job this is. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I think most people wait for their clutch to go rather than plan to replace in advance. Theres a lot of folks still running on track with no problems with the clutch, I for one haven't had an issue since purchasing the car back in 2014 and I do a fair few track days per year. I also think @NW76 is still on his original clutch with his KT460 install. So the clutch has some life in it...

IF you do need to replace it can be a big job circa 30 hours labour, however Komotec and @Hangar 111 have a way of cutting this down to 9 hours through some magic means to which I do not have the detail I'm afraid.

My clutch (and the gearbox btw!) is still doing ok ... I would not touch anything on the gearbox or the clutch until either has an issue.

But if, I will go for the uprated clutch, the light weight flywheel, the short ratio gearbox (with uprated internals) and potentially the LSD ;- )...

7 minutes ago, NW76 said:

But if, I will go for the uprated clutch, the light weight flywheel, the short ratio gearbox (with uprated internals) and potentially the LSD ;- )...

Thats another 10-15K Euros! 

37 minutes ago, NW76 said:

My clutch (and the gearbox btw!) is still doing ok ... I would not touch anything on the gearbox or the clutch until either has an issue.

What are the uprated internals?

46 minutes ago, 550superfast said:

What are the uprated internals?

I guess Norbert is referencing to a kit sold by KT (Jubu and others) that uses a different material for the gears for 3-4-5-6 if I recall correct.  Still, if I recall correct, the material issue that might have existed on the early close ratio gearboxes on the Evora's has been addressed for the boxes (effectively the same close ratio ones) going into the Exiges.

I'm pretty sure as mentioned by Imram that the 9 hours H111 and KT need to replace the clutch mean that the clam is not removed and that the engine is release on one of the mounts.  HOWEVER, I GUESS that it is in that case impossible to fit the Evora 400 clutch, as the flywheel needs to be replaced as well.  If my clutch one day (is still fine) needs to be replaced, no way I'm NOT going to replace it with the Evora 400 version (24mm larger in diameter).

So, @Hangar 111 or @NW76, any insights are very much appreciated B-)B-)

Edited by Kristof Thys

Any idea what power and torque the uprated parts are rated to? Ive not seen this advertised anywhere.

With uprated GearBox I do not mean the gears itself - very weak parts are the plastic parts used in the structure (the „fork“ e.g.) ... those can be replaced with custom made (I think they are Tevlon) parts ... I do not think they are advertised anywhere but I know that KomoTec was testing them and had high hopes that they would significantly help to improve durability ...

I talked with Daniel and their chief machanic about those in the past ... have not followed up since, but certainly would before I redo the gearbox ...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, alias23 said:

Thats another 10-15K Euros! 

Not worth it? Hmm should I go for a sequential instead? Or a dual clutch? Stick with OEM? Hmmm - what do you think? 

I intend to keep the Exige for a very long time, so I do not worry about resale value too much ... 

1 minute ago, NW76 said:

Not worth it? Hmm should I go for a sequential instead? Or a dual clutch? Stick with OEM? Hmmm - what do you think? 

I intend to keep the Exige for a very long time, so I do not worry about resale value too much ... 

Well I guess adding a sequential would kill any chance of a 430Cup overtaking lol

• Haha 1

I just don’t know how user friendly a sequential would be for ‘odd’ road use say driving to and from a track day.

My understanding is that a sequential would cover both upgraded internals, gear ratios, LSD, and faster lap times in one!

Just now, alias23 said:

I just don’t know how user friendly a sequential would be for ‘odd’ road use say driving to and from a track day.

My understanding is that a sequential would cover both upgraded internals, gear ratios, LSD, and faster lap times in one!

Yep ... probably the best you can get for track use and it will bring a significant gain in laptime at most tracks (I would guess its worth 4-5s per lap in Spa compared to the Standard GB with the long 5th and 6th) ... BUT its 22k and has to be revised a lot ...

A Dual Clutch will soon be ready ... I am sure ... BUT ... I bought the Lotus because I wanted a stick ?

• Like 1

I imagine the sequential box would ruin the car on road. 

The dual clutch in development is most likely the VW DSG unit. 

Agree with @NW76 - long live the stick

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kristof Thys said:

So, @Hangar 111 or @NW76, any insights are very much appreciated B-)B-)

If you can change the clutch, you can change the flywheel.  A few grazed knuckles is all in a days work! :)

The selector fork mod, we have done a few for KT.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hangar 111 said:

If you can change the clutch, you can change the flywheel.  A few grazed knuckles is all in a days work! :)

Dave

And you charge that out at 9 hours work? If so that is very good and I am sure many will be coming to you when it is time for a clutch.

How much does the selector fork mod cost? And is that just a re-made made using higher quality material?

Wow 9 hours from 30 or more is certainly a huge difference, so kudos to you guys for that. I was thinking of upgrading to the Evora 400 clutch as well, which I believe is the uprated AP Sportclutch sold by Komo-tec. Looks like it's gonna be a big job, for sure!

My guess is that 30 hours is the "dealer-book rate"for labor ….. it can be done in less time.  Taking the clam off is not the lion's share of the labor charge.

I'd be surprised if any shop will guarantee a 9 hour labor charge to do a clutch ….. but who knows. ;)

44 minutes ago, Xisthos said:

Wow 9 hours from 30 or more is certainly a huge difference, so kudos to you guys for that. I was thinking of upgrading to the Evora 400 clutch as well, which I believe is the uprated AP Sportclutch sold by Komo-tec. Looks like it's gonna be a big job, for sure!

Once the tranny is out to do the clutch, think about the different final drive ratios (you have two with your transmission) and possible LSD ….. many of my Evora GTN friends who compete in Lotus CupUSA have done the mod and it transforms their N/A Evoras.

1 hour ago, Jack said:

My guess is that 30 hours is the "dealer-book rate"for labor ….. it can be done in less time.  Taking the clam off is not the lion's share of the labor charge.

I'd be surprised if any shop will guarantee a 9 hour labor charge to do a clutch ….. but who knows. ;)

To be honest it tends to come out at about 11 hours in reality - need to beat the technicians a bit harder!

Dave

23 hours ago, Hangar 111 said:

Dave

Selector fork was exactly what I meant ... remeber KT telling me that they would get them from @Hangar 111