free hit
counters
Time to start explaining - Page 21 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Not sure Barry about the centres - I’ve got a really personal dislike to the the Saturn’s so have never paid them much attention 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yesterday started off much like any other.  so I thought instead of just lazing on the sofa - I’d dig the S4s out the garage and clear off the dust then a nice trip out to tintern with some oth

We have some progress. She’s now out of the garage under her own power. its given me the opportunity to sweep up the not inconsiderable mess of cut off nuts and bolts, old packets, busted f

All in its rightful place. Massive thanks to Nobby and Jacko for the assistance with the engine hoist this is the first time in 8 years the engine has been in the engine bay

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

It’s been a right slog day at work and I feel like shit. I’ve forced myself into the garage for some time though

Car now up in the air front wheels off. 

Pads removed - Brake cleaner splashed everywhere and ragged with a brush. Wd round the pistons and worked them. Cleaned with yet more brake cleaner. Both sides seemed ok maybe a tiny bit sticky but not noticeable.

left pads out and had a go at the brake pedal - that did seem sticky - but pump ok. Pistons moving outwards both sides.

Bleed nipple loosened with a tube on - pistons pushed back - pads cleaned and refitted. Ebc greenstuffs and they don’t look that worn - they will be ok for now.

fronts done - I’ll have a look at the rears another night as I’m cold. I’m gonna have to keep a beady eye on the brake master - if it’s anything like the clutch one was it needs replacing. @Chillidoggy - pull your finger out fella ?

• Like 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Saturday morning I ordered an IAC valve and a TPS from rockauto In the states. Saves a fortune on the uk supply. Would you believe the box arrived via ups this morning 👍

hard day grafting today - but get a day off tomorrow - the delights of delco ABS and just making the brakes work are on the agenda

Only here once

On 11/03/2018 at 20:10, stephenwhyte said:

Not sure Barry about the centres - I’ve got a really personal dislike to the the Saturn’s so have never paid them much attention 

@Barrykearley Can you make a YouTube video where you put the Saturns in a crusher? I'd finance it. It's the sendoff they deserve. 

• Haha 2

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Barry the picture of your new toy outside for the first time looks epic. Your blue S4 is nice but surely you have seen the light when it comes to Norfolk Mustard. 

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

Brakes all stripped off - All calipers freed up and refitted - rears were a bitch

followed the bleed process to the letter.

fronts fine.

ignition on - pump ran - turned off. 

Tried to bleed rears - nothing - nowt - bugger all. 

Im looking at the picture of the bastard cylinder - theres a solenoid - slackened off the pipe to the rears - nothing there.

im guessing that solenoid is either stuck or shagged

Only here once

Ahhh I see you are recommending the number 2 tapping stick. I'd go with a number 3. Requires more effort but better precision. Would also suggest having a 3rd leg to agitate the brake pedal whilst the thraping takes place. Should do the trick.

Does the S4s have a bias valve for the rear brakes. Could be jammed if so.

• Gold FFM

Drinking a pint - waiting for a steak to come down the pub. 

Espritmon will be cracked out upon my return and see what’s cracking off.

after that - I predict the dusting off of my best collection of whacking sticks

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Espritmon says the pump isn’t running. When bleeding earlier my mate said it was running - I doubt it - I was in the car reading instructions and I think he was 👂 to the vac pump in the back. 

Pump fuse is blown - refitting just manufactures more defective fuses.

pulled the power from the pump - apply 12v direct from a battery makes interesting sparks at the battery end.

I’m guessing that pump needs stripping off and unshagging 

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Pump off - split in off the hyraulic bit - encouraged withy swear words and the battery. She spluttered into life and some vile looking coffee sludge came out.

It runs nicely now - so reassemble time and find more fuses9A86C779-3A8A-420E-8ED5-72E19D6EDA4A.jpeg.9340416b665d051561e5d3de23e43110.jpeg

• Like 2

Only here once

5 minutes ago, LotuStuart said:

Just right for my car...

Go go go Stuart! What's on yours at the moment then? If you have a set of AWIs going spare afterwards I could well rip your arms off...

• Haha 1

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Chillidoggy said:

Pfffft.

This is SuperBaz we're talking about, he changes in a telephone box. Or is it a chicken shed, I can never remember. Although he does wear his underdungers outside of his trousers.

Don’t tease. I Fking hate this abs stuff - if only someone would pull their finger out.

in the meantime - I’ve pulled my pants on over my work outfit and got down and dirty.

so - I have a pump which runs - but no fluid is moving. Stripped the pump off the pressure manifold again and stripped the pump headA2297AA2-6F79-419F-AD21-AE9E38558467.jpeg.2027ecd8627fd67d342e0a51fe762ed1.jpeg

the little round thing with three nibs on it is the pump bit - which as if by magic and holes moves fluid. It’s very important all those nibs are the same size - one was stuck in. It’s also important that bit is fitted back in the right way round and the silver cover fitted the right way round - or it becomes a sucky pump rather than a blowy pump. 

Anyhow - you can’t imagine the movement in the trouser department when I saw this6C1682E0-51D8-4062-8D5B-1B1287B466FF.jpeg.2d3162d1084d4bd3102d22ca09e21517.jpeg

now it’s pumping fluid the right way. A very low flow rate you might say - but that’s cos it’s capable of pumping small amounts to a very high pressure.

all now back together. Pump runs and goes off - runs every 3-4 pedal presses.

cant bleed the brakes - I’ve run out of fluid now - and rags - and my pants are wet

Knew one day that hnc in mechatronics I persuaded my last company was necessary has come in useful 😂

2 hours ago, Sparky said:

Ah, but is it...?

Read it baby ..... 👍👍

• Like 1

Only here once

I didn't necessarily mean the brakes.  Just awaiting the next episode with great interest...

• Haha 1

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.