free hit
counters
Time to start explaining - Page 23 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yesterday started off much like any other.  so I thought instead of just lazing on the sofa - I’d dig the S4s out the garage and clear off the dust then a nice trip out to tintern with some oth

We have some progress. She’s now out of the garage under her own power. its given me the opportunity to sweep up the not inconsiderable mess of cut off nuts and bolts, old packets, busted f

All in its rightful place. Massive thanks to Nobby and Jacko for the assistance with the engine hoist this is the first time in 8 years the engine has been in the engine bay

Posted Images

• Gold FFM
31 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Jaysus, dat's filty.

I do like em dirty 

7 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

Wait - is that a Porker I see behind the Esprit? He hasn't crossed to the dark side, has he?

Wash your mouth out

• Haha 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Ahhh - now theres a question.

tyres feel bad, wind noise round door and sunroof not great - wd40 applied at the garage and that made it a whole lot quieter on the way back. Bit of creaking from suspension - I’ll rebush that lot soon enough.

turbo is a hybrid unit - the cars on a relearn and it’s feeling like it’s holding back - 4000rpm and it takes off like a stabbed rat on coke. I need to clean the injectors maybe they are sticky. I don’t want to thrash it hard - that engine is a rebuilt lump and needs a bit of gently gently. Cat needs to go - as that’s not going to help with the alunox - I will sort a new exhaust set up shortly.

on the whole - low down on revs it feels held back and slower than the S4 - when the turbo whacks in - it’s a bit quicker. You can feel the difference in boost level

Throttle cable needs replacing as the adjuster bits snapped. 

It does feel planted on the road - very pleased.

drivers door window doesn’t work.

no remote central locking

drivers side wing mirror floppy round and round - currently held in place with tape. It’s not the turrets that’s broken - it’s the bit that’s like a ratchet thing - I need to look at the other side and repair accordingly.

@Chillidoggy - get back to working on brakes :popo:

Only here once

• Gold FFM
16 minutes ago, swindon_alan said:

Like an old Lotus short of four cylinders... X

It felt considerably less fat. More like an agile gazelle.

any funny creaking sounds were not intermixing with heartstopping wallet emptying hot sweats 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Only here once

Well done Barry. Amazed at the speedy turn around. Looking forward to your detailed wing mirror repair as I have one exactly the same. Also have big wind noise from the door seals.

must be a mustard thing with the wind.

One of my CX mirrors had the same problem when I got it. There's a small piece of spring steel, maybe an inch long with a crank in it riveted to the mirror frame that acts on the turret to create the ratchet. Thankfully mine was still in the mirror body, just adrift so I managed to bolt it back in place.

Hopefully a bit of careful flexing of the door frames and some new door seals will sort your wind problem. TBH all that KFC isn't going to help...

• Thanks 1

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

• Gold FFM

I will have a look see inside the other mirror. Glad to hear I can fix it with a rivet and some bend steel 👍

14 minutes ago, Clarky5150 said:

Well done Barry. Amazed at the speedy turn around. Looking forward to your detailed wing mirror repair as I have one exactly the same. Also have big wind noise from the door seals.

must be a mustard thing with the wind.

Door seals - Phoenix trim - just buy a rake of trim and cut to suit. From memory it wasn’t expensive to do both doors and sunroof from them on one of mine

Only here once

• Gold FFM

So the Yellow thing lives, runs and is almost legal. Well done chap. Good work. Now go fix that mirror so you can at least see what you have passed on the road and see if that dusty old porker is creeping up on you.

:stuart:

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM
1 minute ago, johnpwalsh said:

So the Yellow thing lives, runs and is road legal.

Fixed that for you.

as for the Porsche - that was long left behind - everybody knows an Esprit is significantly quicker that a beetle

Only here once

well done Mr k .next jobs on the never ending list .Wash that car .Then get your a drive sorted ...Don't want all that mud on your chassis .....Nice one ....Mike

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

Wash ? Wash? I’m now confused.

nothing will happen with that drive as the whole lots being flattened and these babies built as long as planning slinks through. It’s got consent to convert and planners are now in a positive mood 3610BFF0-CF41-400F-8D40-3F0DF84AC969.jpeg.02780f7f8c213e08740ebe9710d14481.jpegD2546190-E40F-4402-97F8-AF030C076B2E.jpeg.6c71f2684ec7302069e37f33e86319e3.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Only here once

Well done Barry - might be worth swapping ECU’s over too as a further test of performance as I remember that ECU in the S4 is different from standard.....isn’t it?

Great to see you’ve finally got the Esprit you wanted there - fantastic effort!!:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Barry change over those rubber brake hose to braided ones. The rubber brakes down internally over time and blocks them, can be intermittent but eventually blocks completely. Had it happen on the rear brakes on the Aston especially when the hoses are over 10 years old.

• Gold FFM
20 hours ago, stephenwhyte said:

Well done Barry - might be worth swapping ECU’s over too as a further test of performance as I remember that ECU in the S4 is different from standard.....isn’t it?

Great to see you’ve finally got the Esprit you wanted there - fantastic effort!!:thumbsup:

The guru has confirmed the code in the ecu to be S300 software.  Thanks mr Guru 👍

A swapout will be tried in due course with an S4s chip of some sort

Only here once