free hit
counters
Time to start explaining - Page 41 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yesterday started off much like any other.  so I thought instead of just lazing on the sofa - I’d dig the S4s out the garage and clear off the dust then a nice trip out to tintern with some oth

We have some progress. She’s now out of the garage under her own power. its given me the opportunity to sweep up the not inconsiderable mess of cut off nuts and bolts, old packets, busted f

All in its rightful place. Massive thanks to Nobby and Jacko for the assistance with the engine hoist this is the first time in 8 years the engine has been in the engine bay

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

Trouble is @sailorbob - I scanned the car after I’d removed the turbo, boot floor and hence unplugged all the solenoids. It had thrown both A and B fault codes - that’s likely due to seeing the coils of the solenoids missing.

the car wasn’t showing as hot at point of failure - 72deg roughly on the gauge. Engine wasn’t overly hot when pulled over - oil pressure was good - car not running so good 🤪

think im going to need to get it into bits and investigate the poor compression - then carefully recheck codes prior to start

I’m not so sure it was over boosting - but it’s broken - so somethings not right

Edited by Barrykearley

Only here once

• Gold FFM

They were the only codes sat on the car - it had thrown a cel prior to the unfortunate incident. Maybe its genuine - maybe it’s a red herring - all easy to check as part of the recommissioning.

Only here once

Bad luck mate. On a positive note the bugger let go in January and not June so she should be in fine fettle for the Summer 👍🏻

• Like 2
  • Gold FFM

Down in Reading fixing a hen shed today - back in time for tea. Popped upto Nobbys and the tractor is all ready for the rip out tomorrow9242860A-70AB-43D8-8ED0-41E327DFB08B.thumb.jpeg.918e63aaea2d187adda62cd343d256d5.jpeg

reading the book tonight - I’ll need some steel plates made up to hold the liners in place once the heads off - so I’ll get Don onto that - he’s probably got some already for some other engine

Only here once

You'd be very unlucky to need the liner clamps. The liner sealant will have set rock solid, and unless a piston is stuck solidly in the bore and you then hammer said piston out, you'd not disturb the liners.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Down in Reading fixing a hen shed today - back in time for tea. Popped upto Nobbys and the tractor is all ready for the rip out tomorrow9242860A-70AB-43D8-8ED0-41E327DFB08B.thumb.jpeg.918e63aaea2d187adda62cd343d256d5.jpeg

reading the book tonight - I’ll need some steel plates made up to hold the liners in place once the heads off - so I’ll get Don onto that - he’s probably got some already for some other engine

Please can I borrow your tractor? 😄😄😄

• Gold FFM

@Lotusfab it makes pulling the engine out a piece of cake - so much easier than a crane. I’m thinking your probably too far for Jacko to drive it though 😂

• Haha 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Nobbys got a full aqua blasting set up down the farm. I won’t be using it though.....

this engine looked relatively clean last time - it’s dirty again - but will clean up with the steam cleaner and some acid.

the tensioner assembly appears to have vanished on the power steering pump - making a bit of a mess of the back of the pulley when it went - now that could have been nasty. It’ll need cleaning up and a new tensioner fitting. 

Once the heads off - I can see what’s bust and make up an order. 

• Like 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Head pulled - happy to find this to be honest.

3DCE3D0B-8616-4F01-9691-37789228AAC9.thumb.jpeg.a0fe111983a66c202b6a53a38398b475.jpeg

58A26656-555D-4C77-A038-60850857788F.thumb.jpeg.b8572d49b7f72b7343d47bb04d8834f2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Only here once

Well blown gasket, great news Barry! You should be up and going in no time, ideal opportunity to do those little jobs while doing a C service.

Dave :) 

Do or do not, there is no try! 

• Gold FFM

It’s looking now like that gasket isn’t an oem one - and am now finding lots of other folks whom report the same failure mode....

• Sad 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM

When the turbo arrived at TT - they confirmed it was still functional - but in need of rebuild. I will get the above checked 👍 

Only here once