free hit
counters
Time to start explaining - Page 44 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Barrykearley

Time to start explaining

New covers ordered for the track rod ends.  Had a quick ring round for these M7 today - they ain’t that available currently - I’ll find em.

took all the abs sensor crap off the front hubs today and discarded the trashy heat shield mounts they are on. Shedding some lbs along the way

1 minute ago, Fridge said:

The answer is plain to see Barry. Steel cap screws, as designed.

I do agree chap - it’s just finding them. I’ve used stainless all over - but most certainly not on any stress items 👍

Only here once

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

A good friend of mine is having a sort out of his artwork - he messaged me today and said this ones for me to hang up at home if I want it. Absolutely chuffed - some of his stuff is magically random

• Like 1

Only here once

14 hours ago, drdoom said:

Isn't the purpose of torquing a fastener to create distortion in the threads, so locking the assembly?

12 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

No, it’s to stretch the fastener.

If you tighten/torque a bolt sufficiently, it will stretch somewhat, and the surrounding material of the parts bolted together will also compress somewhat. If a force is then applied to separate the parts, at first that force will be compensated by the compressed material relaxing, so the bolt doesn't have to take the full load. For forces in other directions (sheer or rotation) the friction between the clamped/compressed parts will hold things in place. And of course you want to avoid any play as that will lead to wear and deformation of the parts.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Well Done .  Mr K .No stopping you now   great job you are doing .Mike

• Thanks 1

Slowly ticking through stuff.

rear bearings now bolted on. Front bearings cleaned and repacked and refitted.

cam belt, tensioner, oil filter, rear trailing arm polys and some new front top mount fixings came from pnm Friday. I’ve now some brake calliper high temp paint arrived.

ordered some kunifer this morning to replace all the brake lines. Now need to find the angular torque and feeler gauges which are conspicuously nowhere to be found. I’ll leave it to the end of the day and if they don’t appear I shall eBay or amazon some tonight. 

Back to having a tidy up round the garden today me thinks in preparation for the arrival of the skip Wednesday to fill full of assorted crap that’s piled up all over.

• Like 1

Only here once

Head dropped off for rework this morning. Front and rear calipers painted with high temp paint. Fuel cross over pipe rubbed down and painted. Front brake heat shields cleaned primed and painted.

been waiting for a skip all day - and it’s now coming tomorrow - so a bit more tidying up outside before I can fit the calipers back on and do some fibreglassing.

looks like I’m back to work next week 😫

Only here once

That picture of the brake lines came in handy for me last night when I decided to resume work on mine after running out of DIY to do due to a lack of material supplies.

• Like 1

Let me know if you need any specific pics @tomcattom - i doubt the body will be back on for a couple of months yet

Only here once

Finally refitted the front and rear calipers this morning and made up the pipes for the front ones from the flexis. The chassis is back in on piece2588BA6C-9710-46FC-AD9E-D5D19277D232.thumb.jpeg.65d0eac82a10f92a203660bd66034821.jpeg

• Like 2

Only here once

Cylinder head back from the machine shop. Some interesting damage found from the previous rebuild which needed attention. This dink on pot 3 must have been there since the gasket is showing the witness mark. This wasn’t the cylinder that failed surprisingly.

8F14F88D-3C5B-4886-BAC7-5C526DD50BBD.thumb.jpeg.ecbcb4f30baaf015efb22c456f9a650b.jpeg

8 thou skimmed off and all is good.

Only here once

Looking good Barry. It's such a lovely sight the chassis, and more so when there's actually room for doing all these little jobs which are otherwise a pain in the ...t to do when car is fully assembled.

Cheers,

Jacques

• Like 1

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

head installed back on engine.

cam carriers dry fitted, shims checked, refitted and sealed on, shims rechecked. Belts and tensioner bearing back on - can’t bolt up the tensioner yet as I’m awaiting the stud lock to go off 

5EFA9D45-D96F-4C48-A2F8-02A5E8238D3A.thumb.jpeg.023301d36551a6f0c09cef8c3f637362.jpeg

• Like 1

Only here once

Your teacup seems dangerously close to the work site. 😬

• Haha 1

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

That’s a half drunk coffee. Managed to get two brought out to the garage from the kids. The missus was far too busy scowling at the garage time being consumed.

Only here once

1 hour ago, Jacques said:

Looking good Barry. It's such a lovely sight the chassis, and more so when there's actually room for doing all these little jobs which are otherwise a pain in the ...t to do when car is fully assembled.

Cheers,

Jacques

Tell me about it. I'm have a right game doing some jobs on the front of my chassis and that's with the rads and hoses all removed!

• Like 1

Doing some work on the front fender maybe Tom?

I remember the day of fun when the rad pack went back on ;) I am going to install polybushings on the steering rack. Just don't know how to reach them yet.

Kind regards,

Jacques

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Sometimes a massive tidy up is needed before the next round F953EA1B-942A-4864-A5F1-1D666CC690F4.thumb.jpeg.1f9a4f30ad8e89d740e62eb2e281b310.jpeg

• Like 1

Only here once

Arb fitted, rear brake flexis on, track rod end split pins fitted and wheels on 1CBA92C6-22F4-4923-BD5C-48B0CE002C51.thumb.jpeg.eaca45a651d1dc3af0580996bfce32b4.jpeg

unpacked the turbo technics box and drooled at the rebuilt hybrid unitF989438A-5688-40B8-9578-BB5914B1CFB6.thumb.jpeg.e95c990216f5f6c00017cee12ccd77f0.jpeg

started cleaning the crap and dirt from the engine Bay Area - once it’s all cleaned up I’ll probably whack a lick of paint over it

• Like 2

Only here once

Couple of hours back in the garage this afternoon. 

cam belt tensioned. Inlet and injectors fitted. Exhaust manifold back on. 067B2633-89AE-435D-A2C3-F690EFAFDE50.thumb.jpeg.1821613b73181a3f6f89f860787edfc4.jpeg

power steering pump is now missing a tensioner piece - the bolt which fixes through it is still present - and the damage to the back of the power steering pulley isn’t nice. Now all cleaned off and dressed back - but I need a tensioner !! Will need to get something made as can’t find availability of the part number anywhere B16D25CB-3C40-433D-9464-FA74368A7C34.thumb.jpeg.ef3973006b211fb774d49fbde398e0c3.jpeg

• Confused 1

Only here once

542688C3-635E-4839-BB50-A989B07C0EFB.thumb.jpeg.ae86c183ef7709aa8cbbc31674e1cd07.jpeg

part 13 is the piece I’m missing. I’m curious about what thread 15 I supposed to be - as it looks to be slightly bigger than m8 but the same thread pitch?? 

Only here once