free hit
counters
Door stuck closed! - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

So this is the second time my passenger side door has stuck closed! The last time i used a hack saw to cut the door latch catch, (The U shaped piece that is mounted too the door jam) scratched the inside of the door jam it was pretty much a total disaster, I purchased a new door catch from SJ Sportscars and I thought I had straightened out the linkage that locks and unlocks the door, worked fine for awhile, But now its stuck again. After i get the door open again I guess its time for all new linkage and new door handle..

Meanwhile, Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the door open without using a hacksaw to cut the door catch??

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Most likely the door is stuck because of sagging of the door. The door hinge is held in position by the clamping force of two bolts (or nuts can't remember at the moment) in combination with some abrasive material.

Have a look in the parts manual.

4 hours ago, Herbert said:

Meanwhile, Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the door open without using a hacksaw to cut the door catch??

As Freek says it's probably because the door is sagging because the abrasive shims have died  so slacken the nuts that hold the hinges to the body & try lifting the door in order to open it.

You need to replace the abrasive shims as shown in the diagram, part number B079U4094K :thumbup:

BF.gif

Not for nuthin', but I have needed to lubricate my latch mechanisms several times over the years. Each time, the door wouldn't release when using the outside handle but using the inside handle and pushing the door open has saved me. (Yeah, its a long reach.) A few applications of spray lubricant make the latch mechanism work for several more years.  (Now, I lubricate the doors as part of my yearly maintenance.)

While you have the oil out, don't forget to put a drop or two on the vertical pins that the outer handles pivot on. I've seen these worn & knackered on other Esprits.

CarBuff

I had exactly this just last week. lubricate mechanism and worked perfectly instantly

Lubrication!

I've had it where it is extremely difficult to open, taking a lot of strength.  It was the rubber seals sticking to the car!

I put a very light coating of silicone grease on the seals and that worked great, but a dry teflon lube would be better.

Good point, Travis.

I've seen more than one Esprit with rubber seals (bonnet, hatch, doors, roof panel) start to disintegrate from age. :cry: Some of the G-cars I've looked at for buyers have had the outer bulb of the door seal come loose, surely because it had stuck.

I sometimes rub talcum power on my seal surfaces...the one time I used a grease lubricant, my passenger complained. :blush:

Thanks for all of the information everyone, I did get the door open today , took of the inside handle and played a bit with the linkage. With everyones help I think I have the door opening and closing Ok. Now i am diving into trying to repair the passenger side window that has been stuck in the closed position. I am pretty sure I have isolated the problem to the motor itself. Seems to be a hard bugger to get out. After getting some of the mounting bolts off I am able to pivot the motor and bracket so the window comes down, But of course this is a "jimmy rigged" situation, and I really want to get the motor out so I can either clean it up and see if I can get it working again or send it out to be rebuilt.

Anyone that has tackled taking the passenger side window motor out and has any suggestions I would really appreciate the help! thank you once again to everyone that replied and a special thanks for the drawing! I have the service notes but I don't believe I have seem that schematic before VERY HELPFUL!

P.S. can someone tell me what the function of the Central Locking system is? I am sure mine is not functional. Wondering if i should be trying to repair that next or just leaving it non functional.

Getting the motors out and refitting requires minature double jointed hands on giant orangutan length arms. The very best of luck in your quest. I still have the scars...

Wow, you just described my appendages!

If it sometimes still does not open it is worth checking the location where the door latch is meeting the striker plate on the body. A shim might need to be added under the striker plate.

11 hours ago, Herbert said:

Anyone that has tackled taking the passenger side window motor out and has any suggestions I would really appreciate the help! thank you once again to everyone that replied and a special thanks for the drawing! I have the service notes but I don't believe I have seem that schematic before VERY HELPFUL!

I discussed this operation fairly thoroughly here:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f164/driver-s-window-stuck-417522/

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Basically, Central Locking uses a sensor on the drivers door, and a lock actuator on the passenger door, to unlock the other side when the driver uses the key to unlock his (or her) side. If your lock actuator has failed, then why not bring the car up to the turn of the century :P and install TWO new actuators and fit a remote control unit?

https://www.amazon.com/InstallGear-Keyless-4-Button-Remotes-Actuators/dp/B01MDLUTPC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1513960601&sr=8-4&keywords=car+remote+unlock

Just to add, I had my drivers door fail earlier this year. I got it open from the inside while levering the door upwards. Alignement seemed OK, so I took off the latch. Drill out the rivet to open it up, cleaned out the dried up grease and muck, lubricated and reassembled (not easy because you can't put a new rivet in, but the bolts hold everything together once fitted). It was OK, but with the cold it's sometimes a bit harder again. So needs more lubrication I think, there is an access hole to spray some in. I don't want to pull the handle with too much force, as I've already broken one. Luckily I could fix it with parts from a Range Rover Classic handle, only the lock-mechanism is different.

I'll recheck alignement as well.

My driver side door would not open from the outside pull handle today.

The car was unlocked in the garage with no more than the door opened/closed a few times since it last worked fine - perhaps I slammed it too hard when I closed it last?

It opened from the inside pull handle and a push from leaning in the passenger side, but obviously I need to get it working just in case the same happens to the passenger side door?

Before I take the drivers inner door panel off and have a nose about - I'm presuming that it is a connecting rod, lever or something that has detached or seized. Reading above, perhaps it's not as straight forward as I'm hoping? 

Rivets?

Just to add that for me the metal latch shown in the pics can be moved manually using a screwdriver or similar tool between open, shut or locked when the interior door pull handle is operated but not when the exterior door handle is pulled.

The exterior pull handle feels right and the spring return is strong, but clearly it is not operating the latch or lever that would allow a pull on the door to move the catch from the locking latch.

So although my door is slightly dropped it is not the reason why it doesn't open as just a pull on the interior handle is enough for the door to release open. My question is what do I need to remove to determine why the metal latch in the door lock shown is not moving when the outside handle is pulled?

pic 1 open

pics 2 closed

pics 3 locked

pics 4 lever that allows metal latch to move between open/closed/locked.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

You need to take the doorcard off (easy to do) and check the rods connecting the outer handle to the lock. If you're lucky, one just worked loose and can be reattached. You should be able to locate the problem, and take it from there.

Thanks Filip, I hoped it would be self explanatory once exposed but didn't want to waste time or not have the right tools e.g. Rivet gun if required.

I'm going to take a look tomorrow.

Cableties chap - you’d be amazed how many door mechanisms are fixed with these lovelies 

• Like 1

I've found the images below for future reference in the Lotus Service Notes.

Hopefully I will be able to see/reach what I need but will keep some cable ties close just in case.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Took a look from the inside today having removed the door card - nothing was broken or disconnected, but clearly something has worn or bent out if shape. It would appear that the latch rod from the exterior handle is not moving much.

The lower connection on the lock mechanism seems to allow for 2 positions depending on whether the latch is open or closed. The latch it lifts seems to only move 1-2 mm whereas the interior door pull handle moves the same latch lever 4-6 mm the difference being enough to release things.

I'm reluctant to remove the door handle for a better look and to try and release the latch rod so that it can bent into a slightly better shape making it slightly shorter.

Has anyone taken a handle and the rods apart, it looks very fiddly and a job for small hands, long fingers, care and patience. I'm worried that it will all fall apart and I won't be able to put it back together!

I took a picture that I will try and upload elsewhere as unable to load here as its greater than 1.4mb limit available.

image.jpeg

Managed to find a picture small enough.

Taking out the door handle and/or latch is not that hard. Release the clips and pop out. As you say, it is a bit fiddly to get all the rods connected again. Needs a fair amount of patience and some needle nose pliers. The latch rods are not adjustable. Maybe the handle itself can be moved further to the front?

I don't remember seeing a clamp on the connection rod to the interior handle on mine. No idea of its purpose, worth investigating as it could snag.

Thanks Filip,

Stating that the latch rod is not adjustable made me look again at the handle workings.

It's very hard to see from the picture above (I can't upload another) but on the top left corner the brass coloured metal at the top behind the silver metal didn't have a small brass rivet pushed through the middle, it had slackened, come out and was sitting below instead.

I was able to put it back in place with a star gripping washer behind and now the door opens from the outside as before.

I don't know if general wear and tear had caused this to slip out, or if a locking C clip or similar was missing, but if it happens again I will know exactly how to correct it..