free hit
counters
Possible group buy on big gearbox mounting washers - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Glyn Harper

Possible group buy on big gearbox mounting washers

Are you interested? (Depending on price)  

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As I have my gearbox out, I'm looking to replace the big 2" mild steel washers that sit between the mounting brackets for the gearbox, and the rubber mounting.

My plan is to get some made by a laser cutting company who can work with Titanium, as they'll be light, strong, and won't corrode! We all love Titanium, or we wouldn't have lightweight sports cars. :)

There are two for the gearbox mounts, however, I just checked and there are 6 in total per car. Two for the gearbox mounts, and two on either side of the mounting rubbers for the radius arms to the chassis.

They are also the same across all cars, 88 onwards. Didn't check the Giugiaro cars, so I'm going to post this in the V8 section as well. (well, a link to this thread).

Obviously if I get a load done it's going to get considerably cheaper.

So.. any interest? If there is, please say below, and how many you'd like. I image most people will want either 2 or 6, but up to you. I've actually created a poll so you can use that, probably easier for me to work out if you do it that way.

If there is no interest I may just get some done myself as long as they're not about 3 million pounds each. Once I have some ideas of price, I'll go back to the company and see what they can do for bulk. So, no idea on an actual price yet, this is just an interest thread at this stage.

Cheers.

Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 18.44.54.JPG

Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 18.53.35.JPG

Edited by Glyn Harper

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Definately interested in these made in a quality titanium grade.

Anyway, I just bought all the parts for doing these Things anyway, so a set in titan, would be a great time to fly by my garage ;) now

Kind regards,

Jacques.

I think it will be a little while before I get them. The company I have asked for a quotation have finished for Christmas. Hopefully not too long though.

I used stainless but you could do in titanium. In titanium turned from bar would be £6.50 each.

IMG_0751.jpg

buddsy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Buddsy said:

I used stainless but you could do in titanium. In titanium turned from bar would be £6.50 each.

IMG_0751.jpg

buddsy

That is a picture of utter beauty 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just seen there are another load of candidate washers to be made of Titanium. There are 12 per car of 1 3/4" by 1/8" with 1/2" hole washers as well.. the ones for the lower and upper links.. I'm going to price those up too.

Edited by Glyn Harper
  • Thanks 1

On 23/12/2017 at 22:29, Barrykearley said:

That is a picture of utter beauty 

Agreed. Who doesn't love a well painted Thermalite block.

• Haha 1

Chaps, these washers are looking like being about £5 each, so £30 for the set of 6 big ones, and another £60 if you want the set of 12 smaller ones. Shipping on top. (A fiver probably).

Are people still keen at these prices? The cost isn't a massive outlay so I can get the material and get them cut before anyone pays anything, so they're ready to go when once paid.

I'm quite happy to post copies of the invoices for the materials and cutting when I've got it done, so you can be assured I'm literally just going to sell them at cost. What do I get out of that? The price we all pay (me included!) is much less than if I were to just get a set done for myself.

Cheers.

Hi Glyn,

what are the lotus partnumbers for the washers?

A079W4083F (smaller ones) and A075W4006Z (big ones) if I'm right?

48 minutes ago, fjmuurling said:

Hi Glyn,

what are the lotus partnumbers for the washers?

A079W4083F (smaller ones) and A075W4006Z (big ones) if I'm right?

Yes, it's those ones.

I think what I'll do initially is get one sheet cut out, and see what the demand is like. If I sell them all, I can always get another sheet cut afterwards. So watch this space! I'll order the material tomorrow.

If they don't sell, just call them a cryptocurrency, sit back, and relax.

• Haha 2

Just for anyone watching this thread, I've ordered the titanium sheet which has been posted and should be getting water jet cut next week. The sheet was £120 but we should get about 30 of the big washers and 30 of the smaller ones out of that. When I have the cutting cost including postage and I actually have them in my hand, I'll be able to take actual orders... hopefully next week sometime.

Ok! I've got the washers!

I've got 60 of the larger washers for the gearbox mounts and the radius arms (6 per car... part number A075W4006Z) and 70 of the smaller ones (12 per car total.. part number A079W4083F)

They were cheaper than the original quote as the company who sent the material sent a larger piece they had for no extra money, so I was able to get more cut and divide the price a bit more.

So, the larger ones are £4 each, and the smaller ones are £3.50 each.

If you would like some (I hope people do!) then PM me and I'll get a quote done based on quantity and postage to wherever you are.

I really need to convert this into a proper sales thread.. can any of the admins approve me to do that please?

Here are some photos.. Showing all the washers, and showing the weight of an original steel washer next to the weight of a titanium one. Big difference when you consider the total amount needed per car!

Photo 25-01-2018, 2 08 09 pm.jpg

Photo 25-01-2018, 2 08 16 pm.jpg

Photo 25-01-2018, 4 52 25 pm.jpg

• Thanks 1

Guys,

I bought a set from Glyn of these nice very light washers in titanium. And I can only recomment them to anyone, incl. some of you brit people, WHO tend to drive your Esprit's all year round.

Anyway, more on my own thread later, when I get to install it all.

And of course, less weight ;)  What's not to like.

Thanks to Glyn. Cheers,

jacques

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fjmuurling said:

I also bought a set from Glyn. More than happy with them and great service from Glyn.

Freek

Thanks. :) 

I've got about 6 sets of the large washers left, but only one set of the smaller washers left if anyone wants them.