free hit
counters
Can lithium batteries be jump started? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
mark248am

Can lithium batteries be jump started?

I tried googling this but couldn't find an answer.

If I swap my lead battery for a lightweight lithium one, and the lithium battery dies say while i'm out shopping. Can the car be jump started? 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yes.

But its not good for the battery. Also you need to keep the chatge up, mine is always on a trickle charger.

cheers

You can get a lithium jump starter which you could keep in the car in case the lithium battery dies.

That way you don't need to use the traditional jump leads and indeed nor another car!

Well this is what I currently have, but I thought I couldn't use it with lithium car batteries

juice2.jpg

Google seems to think differently:

https://no.co/gb40

”1,000 Amp UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter

The GB40 is a portable lithium-ion battery jump starter pack that delivers 1,000-amps (7,000 J3S) for jump starting a dead battery in seconds. It features a patented safety technology that provides spark-proof connections and reverse polarity protection making safe and easy for anyone to use. It's a powerful battery booster that doubles as a portable power source for recharging USB devices, like a smartphone, tablet and more. Designed for a car, boat, RV, truck and more with gas engines up to 6 liters, and diesel engines up to 3 liters.”

4 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

Google seems to think differently:

https://no.co/gb40

Found this in the manual:

Connecting to the Battery.
Before connecting to the battery, verify that you have a 12- volt lead-acid battery. The GB40 is not suitable for any other type of battery.

The picture that you posted is identical to the image on their website. 

Maybe an email to the Customer Service department will confirm either way?

ok now you've lost me. The picture I posted and the link you've linked to are for the same battery booster. But, according to the manual its not meant to be used to boost lithium batteries. So I wanted to know if it was possible to boost a car that uses a lithium battery and if yes what am I supposed to use?

Ah apologies, my mistake. When I read the text above, I read it as a ‘booster for lithium batteries’, not a ‘booster made from lithium batteries’. 

My bad. Carry on. ☺️

• Like 1

On 12/23/2017 at 15:39, PaulLF1 said:

You can get a lithium jump starter which you could keep in the car in case the lithium battery dies.

That way you don't need to use the traditional jump leads and indeed nor another car!

Wouldn't that negate the weight saving of having a lithium battery and only add complexity?

Well during track days you’d remove it from the car but these batteries aren’t that heavy anyway probably like 500g