free hit
counters
Touch Up Paint? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Alright guys

Ive got quite a large scratch on the rear bumper but it’s not too deep just tried to polish it out but couldn’t for some reason.

Ive got a small pot of touch up paint that came with the car and not sure if it will work on the scratch as it’s large. Does anyone have any experience/advice on using this paint?

Cheers

Matt

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Does the scratch go all the way through the paint and what did you try to use to polish it out? T-cut or something more abrasive?

If the scratch is deep and can't be polished out then is your car's paint metallic or a solid colour? I've never managed to brush touch-up a scratch invisibly with metallic paint, but it's relatively easy with solid colours. If the scratch is too deep for the paint on its own to fill, then there is something called "knifing putty". 

A close-up photo of the scratch would be helpful.

If it’s looking like too much hassle to DIY then look at a Smart Repair (ChipsAway or similar). They did a great job on a long scratch on my Elan bumper for a decent price.  They’re franchised so talk to your local operative to gauge if you’re comfortable with them.  Mine had a lot of experience of fibreglass cars and low temp paints, and owned an old Alfa Spyder he’d restored. 

Chipsway concern me I’ve heard a few horror stories about them but have considered it. It’s a strange scratch as it doesn’t seem really deep although in some parts it is a blackish colour...whether this is off another car I’m unsure...I’ll get some photos up

Don’t bother with chipsaway. Use a proper Bodyshop or find a mobile guy whom does car dealerships work. Chipsaway use some bizarre paint mix system - and it’s terrible imho