free hit
counters
Exige 350 daily use - Need sound insulation? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
RoflOnMyWaffle

Exige 350 daily use - Need sound insulation?

Hi guys, unfortunately I don't own an Exige yet and it won't be for a while due to only recently getting my current car, the 370z.

One of my gripes with the Nissan is that it has bad road noise, yet a muted exhaust. I THINK it's partly the tyres to blame but also that the boot is right behind and not isolated from the cabin. Bridgestone Potenzas from factory are quite noisy as well but I digress.

Does the Exige 350 require insulation? I really want the majority of noise to be the exhaust, so I'm assuming the insulation/deadening will cut out exhaust noise but also road noise.

Do you find it a must have item? How hard would it be to get it retrofitted and at what cost?

It'll be my "daily" if you will, I do about 10k miles a year, a fair chunk being motorway, but don't commute to work so all pleasure :)

Edited by RoflOnMyWaffle
Forgetting information

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

There is a NVH package that most have - it definitely will leave enough noise to enjoy ??

I've been driving my Exige daily since I got it in April and I've done around 12,000KM so far. No need for sound insulation, car works great as a daily driver as is.

Having had earlier cars (S1s) without, the NVH does make the cockpit a quieter place to be at motorway speeds. I found it a novelty to not wear ear protection. ? 

i don’t think it detracts from engine noises. But it does help with road noise. It still not exactly silent though ?

As a daily driver, I would suggest NVH is selected.  Without it they are fine and a lot of fun but every day it might be a bit too stripped out for you without it.  You will still get to enjoy the howl from the exhaust, especially with the valve open.

Also, as an aside, if you like a decent sound system keep in mind that the audio is not all that great in the Exige, although with NVH it will be much better than without.  Many have upgraded the speakers though so it is possible to get a better sound.  In my cup I don't have it on, I prefer to hear the car.

Did you drive this car ? Strange choice for a daily car IMHO :stuart:

Having read around and spoken to a few people, they can be dailied quite easily.

I have managed to secure a 48 hour test drive, but am waiting for a good time with the mrs and work.

It will be my daily because I can't afford nor do I see the logic in running 2 cars

6 minutes ago, geartox said:

Did you drive this car ? Strange choice for a daily car IMHO :stuart:

I used both an N/A S2 Exige, and a Komotecd S2 Exige S as my daily drivers, 50k miles over 24 months in the N/A and 30k over 18 months in the S. Admittedly moved to bigger cars after that but for one person with an overnight bag travelling up and down the country it was great, fits in spaces, hotels let you park out the front not main car park, not carrying round an extra ton of metal etc etc. If I was stuck on the same route each day in nose to tail traffic, then there is no point in them. 

Only reason my new one will be a pure second car is because we need 4 seats most of the time so need to keep it as wife has less seats in hers, and in the week I work in London that is no point taking any cars to. Oh and an a Lotus sucks for carrying for more than one bike.

10k a year as a daily, and no commuting should be fine, but I wouldn't call motorway driving fun myself