free hit
counters
Evora 400 pricing in the States - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Loquacious Lew

Evora 400 pricing in the States

New (and lightly used/demo cars) are carrying significant discounts in the USA.  Most of the national listing sites have several examples of new cars selling under the $90K barrier (one I quickly found on Autotrader at the equivalent of £65K). Very  low milage warranted as new demos and pre-owned cars are available for as little as $75K (£55,500).  Bear in mind, all US cars are almost always fully optioned with forged wheels, full leather or alcantara interiors, frequently with auto boxes (which don't bring a premium here), cruise, Lotus Shield, Black Packs, etc.  Now, to these prices must be added any local taxes which usually run anywhere from 5% to 10% additional and licensing fees which vary state to state.  And this doesn't even account for the "call for price". listings.  Here in Tennessee, we add about 7% total to get our out the door, licensed costs. 

Good value in my opinion, and here's hoping this shifts these cars to eager buyers.  I can't think what one could buy new at these prices (a Cayman S?) that gives such pleasure and perceived prestige. A decently equipped Stingray (or Grand Sport) can still be obtained for less, but the price gap continues to be narrowed.  I hope the dealers manage to shift these cars as prices come down, but have to wonder what this development does to the bottom lines of those holding inventory.  

Examples can easily be found on any of the large national listing sites, starting with the US Autotrader listings.  I wonder how this compares to your domestic pricing, but assume it is competitive with what you guys have offered to you.  

Example

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Been following prices and even at significant discounts, the car seems not to be moving.  There is a car in the US with about 5,000 miles, well optioned (originally over $100,000) and the price was just dropped by $10,000 to just under $80,000.  Still has not moved.  

Other cars I’ve watched, with even fewer miles tend not to move until they are around $80,000.   Mostly, the cars just sit.  You could chalk it up to the time of year, but if you look at the time that cars have been sitting, not hard to find one that has been sitting for close to a year.  There is even a 410 that has had its price dropped by $12,000.

My guess as to reasons have to do with a limited dealership network, no money for marketing, and the fact that most Lotus dealers in the States primarily sell something else so the emphasis is not on Lotus.

My impression so far is that none of this will change in the short run.  The existing lineup will soldier on for a few more years until brand new models appear with much higher prices and presumably a marketing budget as well.  Currently, I see no evidence of a North American marketing strategy and Lotus is suffering from the lack one in terms of US sales.

On 12/29/2017 at 18:02, Ccd said:

is that none of this will change in the short run.  The existing lineup will soldier on for a few more years until brand new models appear with much higher prices and presumably a marketing budget as well.  Currently, I see no evidence of a North American marketing strategy and Lotus is suffering from the lack one in terms of US sales.

I don't think its any coincidence that all of a sudden a flood of higher powered versions of the current platforms came out not soon after the Geely acquisition. I have to imagine that Geely told them that its the end of the road for these platforms as they currently are and to squeeze whatever they had left out of them and get them on the market to tide them over until the launch of a new line.

Not possible, these cars were started prior to Geely takeover and it is illegal for two companies in the middle of purchase to discuss the future product lines. 

1 hour ago, Julian73 said:

Not possible, these cars were started prior to Geely takeover and it is illegal for two companies in the middle of purchase to discuss the future product lines. 

Development may have started, I didn't say it wasn't. However releasing the Evora 410 and Exige 380 and then quickly releasing the GT430 and Exige 430 makes no sense. I mean it could be that Lotus is really just that stupid, I guess I shouldn't discount that, but to me it makes absolutely no sense to release those models so close to each other unless you know that you have to milk as much from this line as quickly as you can. It also makes no sense to completely redesign the front and rear of your car how they did with the 430s unless this design was already underway and was planned for future models, but if Geely said "we want an all new Evora", well then, you might as well start using your new design ASAP and at least get 2 or 3 years out of it. I mean I admit I could easily be wrong, but just seems very weird timing to me.

Edited by Likuid

I see the flurry of high power versions as a last minute ploy to improve Lotus’ bottom line.  It appears to have worked in the short run.  The question now is what comes next.  Unless the new models are a lot closer to introduction than anyone believes, it is hard to think that the existing line-up will not struggle mightily in the coming years until those new models finally arrive.  Certainly, the re-introduction of Lotus to the US marketplace does not appear to be going well.