free hit
counters
Tailgate gas struts causing a blown fuse - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Gotti

Tailgate gas struts causing a blown fuse

I, ve installed new tailgate gas struts from SJ and this caused a blown fuse on my dry sump car.The new gas struts ends are made of metal and my old ones are made of plastic.

The tailgate hinge (My car is Lhd drive)on the lhd side is earthed and on the rhd side its positive (for the heated rear screen) The rhd strut is mounted to the hinge (ball head screw)which is + on my car and to the ball head screw to the body which is screwed to the dry sump oil tank which is earthed and this caused a short circuit!

So dry sump owners take care.

I screwed the plastic ends from both old gas struts to the new struts and replaced the blown fuse in the glove box an everything is fine now.And the interior light works again-its the same fuse.

I.ve installed new gas struts to my girlfriends Audi A3 a few days ago and to many other cars,i would never have thought that they could cause a problem :lol:

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Good call!

This routing of power for the heated rear window through the hinges is a piece of Lotus design genius though. Having said that its questionable whether the heated rear screen is really necessary, being directly above a massive source of heat! Maybe some countries made it mandatory.