free hit
counters
380 Lowered rev limit - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
MrP_

380 Lowered rev limit

So as part of my which model debate on the v6, I see lots of references to the 380's lowered rev limit. Now on paper the 350 is 7.2k, and the 380 is 6.8k - so why is this always listed as a problem?

Is it that the engine is still surging an the rev limit interrupts, people are used to the higher rev line, or something else? There just seems a lot of mentions of this missing 400rpm here and other forums and wanted to understand why from people that live with the 380's day to day, we all love a higher limit but is it an annoyance or an actual problem

Cheers

Edited by MrP_
Edit as I got the v6 limit too low!!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If you've never driven an V6S or 350 then in reality you wont miss it jumping into a 380.

The 345bhp tune hits max power at circa 7000rpm - the noise it makes at that point (and beyond) is truly infections so running the car out to the shift lights its worthwhile.

Coming from a 350 I tried a 380 and hated it for that very reason, i was constantly bumping into the limiter - potentially i would have got used to it over time (i tend to changet based on sound rather than staring at the tachometer).

The charger on the 345 tune is already operating at the upper limit of its window so just chucking a smaller pulley on it to get to 375 is only going to generate more heat soak - it sure wont be making 375 15 minutes into a track session! :lol:

A 350 with some Nitrons/Ohlins and a TV1900 charger would run rings around a 380, maintain the higher rpm level and still give you plenty of change to dress it up with some 380 spec halfords carbon bits if that floats your boat.

Edited by LukeH
  • Like 1

Great I thought that would be the answer. I also change on sound so it's a factor worth considering. All avenues are currently pointing to a 350 and modding once out of warranty...

• Like 1

I would say that the problem with the 380 lower rev limiter is that it s really artificial

Lotus use the exact same toyota engine on all the older models with the same supercharger internals etc and it should deliver around 350 or 360 bhp

On the track only exige v6 cup r the rev limiter is set even at 7200 rpm

Then they made the 380 model that is supposed to deliver almost 380 bhp and to do that they push the same supercharger to it s limits using a different pulley so that it delivers more torque and supposedly more power and

as they power output and torque is reached at around 6800 rpm they decide to then put a rev limit just there to probably keep some safety margin

At the end the rev limit is just where the max power is making it difficult to really use it without hitting the limiter you don t get the good part of the higher rpm use and for example on thrack those extre rpm are useful if you would want to keep the same gear for a few extra meters before braking.

And they also made a different ecu software and pin so it s more complicated for tuners to change that rev limit.

And some of the 380 are also not making the expected power on dyno.

But they feel fast on the street as they really have the extra torque.

On 05/01/2018 at 20:10, Maxi_z said:

I would say that the problem with the 380 lower rev limiter is that it s really artificial

Lotus use the exact same toyota engine on all the older models with the same supercharger internals etc and it should deliver around 350 or 360 bhp

On the track only exige v6 cup r the rev limiter is set even at 7200 rpm

Then they made the 380 model that is supposed to deliver almost 380 bhp and to do that they push the same supercharger to it s limits using a different pulley so that it delivers more torque and supposedly more power and

as they power output and torque is reached at around 6800 rpm they decide to then put a rev limit just there to probably keep some safety margin

At the end the rev limit is just where the max power is making it difficult to really use it without hitting the limiter you don t get the good part of the higher rpm use and for example on thrack those extre rpm are useful if you would want to keep the same gear for a few extra meters before braking.

And they also made a different ecu software and pin so it s more complicated for tuners to change that rev limit.

And some of the 380 are also not making the expected power on dyno.

But they feel fast on the street as they really have the extra torque.

OK that makes sense, the artificial nature is what I thought.

More worrying is running things at the edge of their limit, especially when their are alternatives available. But I guess increasing SC capacity puts it way too close to the 430, and combining that with charge cooling then gets into internal engine changes

After having a V6S, I keep bumping the Rev limiter, hope to get that fixed soon if I don’t change the car.....

cheers

Mark

Do you guys drive it on the streets all the way up to 7k? What's the point of it, if you don't mind me asking? :blush:

Edited by vd9

Because it’s music to my ears to hear the howl from the car as it’s starts to surge.... however the... bap, bap bap as the limiter cuts in is errr, $hite imho...

cheers

Mark

ps I’m a $hite driver tho.... and I live in a part of the world with quiet roads and twisties where 

you can absolutely floor it in second and third......

• Like 2

4 hours ago, vd9 said:

Do you guys drive it on the streets all the way up to 7k? What's the point of it, if you don't mind me asking? :blush:

I have a 460 and regularly have it high in the revs. Admittedly less than I used to when the car was standard, but find the right road (luckily a few close to me) and there are ample opportunities!

Same for my EX460 ... I wouldnt want to miss beeing able to run mine up to 72xx rpm ... so much fun - the power development is just phenomenal ... if I had a 380 I would do a „remap“ to get rid of that lower rev limit ...

Very different on my BMW ACS4 ... the rev limit is 8xxx (dont even know exactly) but I usually already shift when the first shift lights come on (7xxx) because the power is flatening out and the engine is „beyond its peak“ ... 

23 hours ago, vd9 said:

If by streets you mean the rather large network of traffic free, twisty and beautiful roads on my doorstep  then yes, absolutely every time its driven.

I think it went into town once for some new shoes :lol:

Having the advantage of the Cotswolds on my doorstep, there are plenty of opportunities to stretch the legs of one’s Lotus here ;)

Snap, I actually don’t see the point of putting miles on the car if they are pootling along.

Likewise lots of nice roads to push on near me....

I've found with this Toyota engine, certainly in the evora, it feels like it wants to just go right beyond 7,000rpm. Many engines start to feel lethargic in their last few 100 rpm. Not this one.